how to get hornet nest without a trip to the hospital

Submitted by jen on 9/22/04 at 10:06 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.199

I have a very large hornet nest along my driveway-the nest is not very high in the tree-I think I can reach it from the back of my truck. What is the best way to get it down. Will a lot of bee spray stain the nest? Or make it fall apart? I thought about putting a garbage bag over the nest while I saw the branch down to keep the hornets from getting to me-not sure if it would seal tight enough though. Any advice on safe removal without damage to the nest or me would be appreciated. thank you

Return to Habitat and Exhibit Category Menu

Cold or smoke

This response submitted by tomdes on 9/22/04 at 10:23 AM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.30

If you wait for a cold evening (don't know where you live)bees/wasps become very slugish, you can cut it down in the dark or early light. Put a garbage bag right over it as you cut it down. Beekeepers also use smoke to drive away the bees..

European Hornets?...NOOOOO

This response submitted by WV Walt on 9/22/04 at 10:29 AM. ( ) 63.92.149.179

They could have hundreds of gaurds all over that tree and if you mess with it they will come after you even at night, you can't out run them...I've got the European Hornets here, yellow stripes, hairy backs, 1 1/2" long, 1/4" stingers, scarey creatures...Deed I could tell you some stories about them things...Wait till the winter when they're gone would be my advice.

If hiring a Professional is not an option...

This response submitted by Juniper on 9/22/04 at 10:29 AM. ( ) 66.66.1.216

Get a couple of cans of far shooting wasp spray. Wear a mosquito net, clear the area and fire away. Give it a day or 2 before knocking it down with a 10 foot pole. Actually if the wasps are dead, it's not necessary to remove nest---the winter kills the wasp colony.

Sorry, you want to save the nest?

This response submitted by Junipera on 9/22/04 at 10:34 AM. ( ) 66.66.1.216

Wait 'til January if you live in the North.

Buy a cheap garden sprayer

This response submitted by George on 9/22/04 at 1:51 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.75

And a gallon of Coleman fuel. Pump that sucker up to the max and then spray it continuously until you run out of gas. Take out any sentries who try to prevail. Then let it set for a day till the gas evaporates. Put it in a plastic bag, spray a bit of Raid into the bag and seal it. Set it in your attic or garage for a couple months and it's ready to use. The gasoline will kill hornets DEAD on contact. Just don't stand under the nest while you spray.

Speaking of hornets nest

This response submitted by Tailgate Princess on 9/22/04 at 2:15 PM. ( ) 216.106.44.158

We had a colony build one right on the eave of our house this year a sew seet from our front door. My husband wanted to get rid of it right away but i talked him into leaving it for a while so we could watch it grow. For months they never bothered us and the nest grew really big. A few days ago as I we nearing the porch I noticed one of my chickens take off in a dead run and figured it was the hornets. Something had really mad them mad so for our safety my husband went out after dark with a can of wasp and hornet spray and that was the end of that. I would like to get the nest down in one peace but the way it was built flat to the house I don't think it is possible.
Keep your head down and spray out the truck window. Good luck!

Git-er-down

This response submitted by Mr. T on 9/22/04 at 8:02 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.230

12 gauge, simi auto, five shots, then run. Come back in a hour and repeat. :-)

Soapy Water

This response submitted by Kristen on 9/23/04 at 3:36 AM. ( ) 12.203.250.153

Believe it or not, soapy water will kill them just as good as any spray and it won't smell half as bad! I've used dishwashing liquid and liquid hand soap with water in a squirt bottle and it does the trick. I don't know about it damaging the nest or not cause I've never let them build very much before spraying them.

Hey WV Walt...

This response submitted by Michelle B on 9/23/04 at 6:30 AM. ( laurelmt@lhtc.net ) 65.167.183.35

I know the ones... Some friends of ours in Moorefield WV said they were "sand hornets". Look like a giant yellow jacket only red stripes. Whatever the name those suckers are the biggest freakin' bee I've ever seen. They make a bumble bee or bore bee look like his SHORT fat cousin LOL! We had some here (SW PA) that got in a wasp trap I had hanging. I thought we were being invaded by killer bees. My brother got stung in the back of the hand with one. His arm swelled to the elbow til it literally was as big as a football. His hand looked like a latex glove blown up! Your're right SCARY creatures.

No offense but almost sounds like the tv ad

This response submitted by Ed on 9/23/04 at 12:05 PM. ( ) 216.51.174.213

No offense here but this post keeps reminding me of the tv ad where the one guy is standing under the wasp nest with a garbage can and lid in his hand and another guy on a step ladder who is going to cut down the nest to make it fall in the garbage can. And of course the wife is calling for the Dr. as they get ready. LOL

Hey Michelle

This response submitted by WV Walt on 9/23/04 at 9:36 PM. ( taxidermy@hardynet.com ) 63.67.241.82

Hey Michelle, I'm only 25 miles from Moorefield, as the bee flies, you should stop by and I'll show you these brass hornets, just as you decribed, they're awesome.

Big Bubbles: NO troubles!

This response submitted by Clark aka the great Canadian beaver trap thief on 1/1/05 at 12:34 PM. ( info@clarkreid vakfotografie.nl ) 213.144.243.213

This is very easy to solve. All you need is a vacuum cleaner (preferably a Shop Vac) and a extension cord/ power source. Do not use a vacuum cleaner that has a full bag in it (for obvious reasons). Just walk up to the nest, turn the vacuum cleaner on and stick the nozzle over the entrance. Then wait and don't lose your cool. After a couple seconds the tribe within the nest will make a run for it and one right after the other will deposit themselves neatly into the vacuum cleaner. You can hear them zipping right on past, one right after another. Works like a charm, self tested, tried and found to be true! I ought to be declared a saint for this one. If you really want to do this up right without killing all the bees/wasps/hornets: you could cap the vaccleaner hose and then dump the whole thing into the freezer for an hour or so to cool things down enough as to be able to remove the bag. You could then take the bag somewhere outside to a safe distance and let the bunch warm up again and escape.

Return to Habitat and Exhibit Category Menu