How to kill wasp that have made a home under my deck?

Submitted by Vicky Gabel on 4/15/05 at 4:03 PM. ( msvicky1971@yahoo.com ) 66.82.9.25

I have a deck about 1 foot off the ground. Starting last year they have made them selves a home under there. I do not have access to knocking down the nests. I am not sure what to do to get rid of them. I do not have a swamp near me. We used landscaping fabric on the ground and then put gravel down. We built a 700 sq. foot deck and they are every where. So any help i would really appreciate.
Thank You,
Vicky

Return to Habitat and Exhibit Category Menu

A D V E R T I S E M E N T :

go get them at night

This response submitted by woodchick on 4/15/05 at 4:40 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.69

try bombing them at night time. Wasps and bees seem to be less active at night. if you cant get in there, maybe getting one of those incect bombs an placing it under there. give it a try. good luck

I would call and exterminator

This response submitted by Dave B on 4/15/05 at 4:46 PM. ( ) 4.14.184.162

They can become VERY violent if agitated and will sting you over and over again once ticked off. And if you have an alergic reaction to their sting, it could even resut in death.
It would be one thing if your deck were 4'-5' tall. It would allow you to hose them with that Wasp Spray that shoots 20-30' and give you a running head start if you miss.
but I do know that the best time to rid them would be in the cool morning or evening,where they are slugish. But I would still call an exterminator. I worked for one not to long after high school. Believe me, they're NOTHING to mess with!

Good Luck,
Dave

Netting

This response submitted by Secret on 4/15/05 at 4:54 PM. ( ) 68.117.160.236

We are building a new deck and my wife is alergic to them, and it will be the same situation. A friend told me to tack netting all around before I seal it off to keep them out. For now you'll have to go after them at night, it's how I get yellowjacket nests in the ground(wait till night, good luck).

WD-40, sound wild correct?

This response submitted by Learned from an old plumber. on 4/15/05 at 8:38 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

I called an old plumber to do some work on the house, I told him where the red wasp nest were it was later in the summer and the wasp angered a WHOLE LOT Quicker. He said watch this, he took his WD-40 and sprayed them. The light oil wets the wings and the wasp cannot fly. The oils kill them. What I would do is get some liquid insecticide and mix for a pumpup sprayer.

I would piggy back a 2nd sprayer with WD-40 into the one nozzle. and make the nozzle longer with e piece and fittings for small diameter copper tubing.

Or call a PRO.

WD-40 or gasoline unless you want to pay

This response submitted by George on 4/15/05 at 10:10 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.69

If you pour gasoline into a garden sprayer and set your nozzle to "mist", it will only take a second. Any wasp that gets hit with a miniscule droplet of gasoline will fall like cheap wall paper. When I'm dealing with hornets, I like to light up the night. I set the garden sprayer on "stream" and then light it with a match. Makes one helluva flame thrower and destroys hornets and the nest in one swoop. Kids, don't try this at home, especially if you live in the suburbs. You gotta be a country kid to enjoy that kind of pleasure.

Thats the funniest...

This response submitted by JC on 4/16/05 at 2:48 AM. ( ) 204.62.206.252

thing I have read in a while...making a flame thrower out of a
garden sprayer.I think I will try it only thing is I have one of the
plastic ones from Wal-Mart w/plastic nozzles.

Im going to watch for you

This response submitted by G-man on 4/16/05 at 7:49 AM. ( ) 216.37.216.241

on funniest home videos

anybody ever hear of the polaris coon insident

This response submitted by paul e on 4/18/05 at 1:54 PM. ( americanmetalfab@bellsouth.net ) 65.6.122.33

listening to the radio a few years ago
this guy had this big coon who kept dumping his trast every time he putit out on the curb
so this rocket scientist(pay close att: to this part)
gets his pellet rifle after locating the coon in a tree high in his front yard
so he let the coon have a couple of stings and the critter ran down the tree and into a drain pipe in the front of the guys house
the guy pours a few gallons of gas down the pipe and trows a match
into the pipe
weel this is where the guys neighbor is giving the rest of the interview because as he was sitting in a lawn chair wathing the whole thing
when the gas didnt ignight he rolled up a pc of paper and lit it on fire and proceded down the pipe to ignight the gas
well
the neighbor said that the guy flew out of the pipe backwards and looked like a polaris missle
he took a trip to the hospital
the neighbor noticed the coon back in the tree a few hours later

A D V E R T I S E M E N T :

Return to Habitat and Exhibit Category Menu