Dry Room

Submitted by Bob on 1/2/01. ( dcbmm@webtv.net ) 209.240.221.131

On A 4 x 6 room what should the temperature be for A drying room 8' high Thanks Bob

Return to Category Menu

85 Degrees Fahreniet!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 1/3/01. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.21.141

85 degrees Fahreniet is best! Forgive the spelling! That and either fans or a dehumidifier works best for drying! Use irrigation pipe for racking - its cheap and lets the skin or cape hang without touching.

Dave Says

This response submitted by Dave Taylor on 1/3/01. ( mastertaxidermist@jam.rr.com ) 24.164.216.51

Bob, I just can't help but point this out--your drying room should be the same temp, regardless of the size---if you want the same effectiveness.

anyway, I'm certain the Mr Rittel is right about the best temp, but I know most guys run them hotter than that. ( I've been in one that was about 180 degrees!)-stuff was so hot you couldn't grab the mounts without gloves.

I guess it really depends on why you want a drying room.--do you just want to completely dry some skins, are you looking to speed the drying time on your mounts? are you in a really big hurry to finish a "rush" order ?

I have a drying room almost the size you ask about(3x6x8) and I heat it with a cheap electric fan/heater--just crank it almost to max and leave it.--I guess that it's about 110 degrees. and the fan helps by circulating the air.
85 degrees with a dehumidifier would work ok too, but if your goal is to dry a mount completely in a few days, you are gonna need to get it hotter.

Good luck
Dave

Return to Category Menu