Taxidermy Exam Specimens

Submitted by MIKE on 1/4/01. ( kinetic349@prodigy.com ) 164.105.232.51

I hope to be taking the infamous PA test this spring. I have been
told not to bring a large antlered buck? Is this really a factor?
I do have a small 6 or a spike.....should I use one of these?
In addition, can I bring 2 whitetail for the the "other" large
game head?(I'm just taking the Mammal test) Can I also bring 2
squirrels for the 2 small game or do they need to be different?
Sorry to ramble but the info they sent me fails to state specifics.
Maybe I'm not thinking....I am trying to pass..but I figure it is
worth the 50$ to find out what its all about...nobody seems to want to divulge any study material
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all the pros for being there!

Return to Category Menu

Test

This response submitted by Becky on 1/4/01. ( Keytaxidermy ) 64.12.96.143

I know Paul C. will be able to tell you the requirements BUT I can tell you whether you take a spike or a 18 point has nothing to do with it at all. Do your best and take those mounts. Until you get the answers about what game heads you can take why don't you just call the PGC and ask them the rules. I know when I took the test I took a fish, anltered deer, upland bird, small mammal, and duck. Good luck!

OOPS!

This response submitted by Becky on 1/4/01. ( Keytaxidermy ) 64.12.96.143

Sorry that was Antlered deer! What study material are you asking about?

Thanks

This response submitted by Mike on 1/4/01. ( ) 209.204.121.165

Thanks for the info about the buck....it did'nt make sense to me why it would matter. I have not attended any formal training so I'm concerned about the written portion of the test....that kind of study material is what I'm looking for. The PGC has yet to answer me after several calls and promised to return..they get busy I'm sure. I am only taking the Mammal portion so I need 2 big game animals 2 small game animals and one furbearer. I planned to bring 2 bucks for large game, two squirrels for small game and a racoon for the furbearer...I hope this is satisfactory...I would like to find out prior to going thats for sure...Thanks for the help!

Not sure but

This response submitted by Becky on 1/4/01. ( Keytaxidermy ) 152.163.189.67

Yes, your mounts are judged only on the workmanship, Quality, etc not the antler size or lack of size. I too am a self taught taxidermist so I know how that goes, but if you have mounted enough mammals you should have no problems. I am not sure, but I would take them to mean different animals otherwise what would be the point of two of the same? Have you studied many books? Even the older books will help you on the written part, in fact it can come in handy to know some of the basic ways of early taxidermy. I know I whipped right through that BUT I did read everything I could find on taxidermy before hand. You will learn a lot even if you don't pass so yes, go take it. I would recommend you get the Breakthrough manuals. They have a lot of info you will need not just to pass the test but to learn what you need to learn and then practice, practice!

Thanks for the help

This response submitted by Mike on 1/4/01. ( ) 209.204.88.34

I do get Breakthrough..so I seem to be doing something right. I practice all the time I can. So I guess it has to be an Antlered deer,
I imagine a bear(hope a rug is ok) because what other large game is native to PA(ELK?) a squirrel, a rabbit or ground hog for small game and a coon for furbearer. Hope it goes well...just don't know where to get a rabbit or ground hog!...you have been most informative..thank you for your time..maybe the PGC will fill me in more........

Mike......Check your email address

This response submitted by Kristoph on 1/5/01. ( skinme2@aol.com ) 205.188.208.203

on your initial post, I tried to email you but it was "mailer daemon" returned with an address flaw.I wanted to share some tips with you in regard to the test.

PGC Taxidermy Handbook

This response submitted by Paul Czarnecki on 1/5/01. ( tri0900@gte.net ) 63.23.223.103

MIke,
If you call the Bureau of Law Enforcement in Harrisburg and ask for the "Taxidermy Handbook" ALL of your questions should be answered. The test is really pretty basic and the handbook covers EVERYTHING. As far as the 2 big game heads I would suggest an antlered deer and a bear or even an antlerless deer. Two squirrels would be fine but different poses and/or species would be helpful. Keep in mind the examiners are there to assess your abilities and help you improve them. The more you give us to work with the more we can help you.
Given the fact that this Taxidermy Exam discussion on these Forums seems to flare tempers feel free to call or email me if you have any further questions. Talk to you soon,
Paul Czarnecki
814-796-6320

Return to Category Menu