U.P.S. Don't you dare make a claim

Submitted by Dan on 1/9/01. ( Hasslehut@aol.com ) 152.163.188.194

I've been using U.P.S. for over 20 yeas without an ins. claim...Ive fixed the many forms that Ace ventura delivered without a wimper, (like I'm sure many other taxidermist have), Recently I made 2 insurance claims for under $300. because of damaged fish that I shipped out, Now I'm on an insurance list at the local ups office for excessive claims, and almost every time I go to ship a box it is opened and inspected, and most times I have to rebox the items. The last item was shipped to me from Vandykes well packed, I turned around and tried shipping it out to a customer and guess what, has to be reboxed. This is harrassment! I'm personally not going to use them any more and am sending a good letter to there main office. Any suggestions for a more substantial recourse would be appreciated......P.S. anyone else have these problems with U.P.S.? Thanks,...Dan

Return to Category Menu

ups claim

This response submitted by ron on 1/9/01. ( stuffer@dicover-net.net ) 208.155.30.88

dan,
i too have been using ups for some time now with relatively good service . but i have made one claim . i shipped a duck to a customer packaged well for the ride . the customer refused the box as it appeared damaged . so now i get the box back . it was a full 3-4 inches shorter heavily damaged with a tire print of i'm assuming a fork lift over one of the corners . i filed a claim only to be told my box was not properly packaged . i took the box in to have it looked at which for me was a 30 mile drive to the closest distribution center . they still would not stand behind the insurance i had on the item . this was not improperly packaged but improperly handled . i ate the cost of the mount and the extra insurance . now everytime i get a package ups i can only look at the driver and $$$ standing there . but what choices are there?

Try this

This response submitted by Not Given on 1/9/01. ( None@nowhere.com ) 63.94.125.158

It is my belief that if they accept the package with insurance on it then they have to honor any claims for damage.I would try contacting the Attorney Generals office in regards to insurance fraud or whatever. It seems to me that if they insure it they have to cover it when they break it.They gave me a hard time about it also, and I explained that they accepted the package with insurance on it, and had better honor the claim or I would file paperwork at the attorney generals office, they took care of the problem.

CAll their regioanl center

This response submitted by John C on 1/9/01. ( ) 208.44.115.21

I went thru the same crap a few years back, a fork lift fork hole thru a big striper.

Oh we dont have fork lifts was their response.

I had photos of the box outside their counter door, it showed no holes when I shipped it, I had even crated it on the inside with 1/4 inch plywood. Same stuff I crate gameheads and fish with to shio them overseas.

It took some time but I finally got the regioanl manager there and their local peon. The regioanl manager fired the local manager for not handling the claim within 14 days. The regioanl guy said yes they do have forl lift in the large centers.

I ship everything I can now by U.S. postoffice, I cant insure a COD when shipping with them, but you know I seldom get a damaged box back. I also ship large orders crated by truck with out problems.

Having had the local UPS counter tell me they dont handle crates, I ask for their shipping book and page 29 I believe it is yes they do for $10.00 extra. I have shipped a few thing UPS crated lately and I try to get the nastiest ruffest wood I can find for crates.

Put a little extra into the crating and boxing will solve most problems.

Where is that 70 lbs of lead for decoys anchors anyway.

John C

Same Problem Here

This response submitted by Andrew on 1/9/01. ( ceonctax@webtv.net ) 209.240.220.183

I had the same problem this month! I sent out a reproduction fish to a customer in Calf. I used the same box the fish came to me in. I had this side up written on the box and 6 Fragile stickers on the box! When he recieved it the box was ripped torn and smashed in and oneof the fins was broken. This was the second time this happened in 2 trys! I had it insured and they are refusing to pay the claim because it was improperly packed! On top of that I'm stuck with the fish because the customer is fed up with these ***** guys who can't read the outside of a box, and wants his money back! What can a guy do? I'm sure my views of there company really matters to them all I know is I will never use UPS again! Good luck to the rest of you. Andrew

try this

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/9/01. ( ) 152.163.188.38

Give John Collins at James Valley Scents, and tell him you heard from me. He went round and round on some damaged antlers. They told them they would inspect the crate, then said it was bad...but he still had the crate, they never saw it! Call and talk to him, he ended up winning a full settlement.

archives

This response submitted by Fedex guy now on 1/10/01. ( ) 38.32.10.63

Dan
I remember in these forums quite a while age there was alot of UPS bashing over damage and insurance. You will have to research it. You can win but you have to be persistant and a pain in the rear. Write the attorney general in your state, send the question of compensation to all the newspapers around you, and use a lawyer friend or customer you may have. Write to HIGHER ups in UPS to.
I have had counter problems, where i was told they don't take skins for tannerys.
The bottom line is they have grown far above there competance level and they now suck!

try this

This response submitted by Jim on 1/10/01. ( ) 206.127.86.5

We had a couple of UPS inspectors in the shop about a year ago. They wanted to watch us pack some birds for shippment. They decided to do this after we collected a $1200.00 damage claim from them. The only thing they could come up with is for us to stop shipping all wooden crates. They told us all wooden crates will not travel down there coveyer system they have in there depots. And that they would get handled by hand and most likly more roughly then a cardboard box would. So now we cover everything in cardboard.
A couple of more tips for everyone...... DON'T ever put the word "fragile" on the side of your boxes. Its like putting a target on them saying kick me harder ! And DON'T ever put the word "taxidermy" on your boxes..... There are alot of people out there that don't like that word.. One more thing try using FedX Ground service, we have been for awhile with good luck. They will pick up at your shop, anywhere.....

It would seem to me...

This response submitted by Lorrie on 1/10/01. ( Lorro1969@aol.com ) 205.188.208.203

That this particular company has a problem with, and has laid target to this industry. It would be interesting to send two exact same packages, labeled differently, sent through identical channels, and see the outcome.

FedEx Ground

This response submitted by Aaron L. on 1/11/01. ( aj@mtneer.net ) 198.140.4.13

Try FedEx Ground. Asside from being a taxidermist I am the Assistant Manager at our Beckley, WV office. We preach every day that the way a package looks when it is delivered is the image we show of our company. Now I am not saying that we are perfect and nothing aver gets damaged, but our drivers get paid by the stop and the package, and if they lose you as a customer they lose money. So they tend to take care of ya. And if you do have a claim, I don't think you will run into the same problems you are seeing now.

Asside?

This response submitted by Aaron L. on 1/11/01. ( aj@mtneer.net ) 198.140.4.13

Asside?Assistant? I think I have too many Ass's..LOL:)

Try using

This response submitted by Brandon on 1/11/01. ( ) 208.170.73.216

Try using averitt express. They are a popular trucking service and I have never had a problem with them,
Brandon

UPS , FEDEX

This response submitted by Jeff Nelson on 1/12/01. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 209.98.65.53

I've worked for UPS for 21 years and my wife is also a taxidermist so I know both sides of the story. Nobody intentionally damages anything, but because of the volume of pkgs that go through both UPS and fedex, damages do occur. It's a fact of life. I will bet anyone that no one carrier has that many more damages than the other.(percentage wise) If you are persistant you will have a good chance of getting your claim paid. If you use new boxes instead of used boxes your stuff will get there in better shape. Good luck.

Try Shipping Around Christmas time!

This response submitted by Cecil Baird on 1/15/01. ( jjbaird@ligtel.com ) 207.40.90.41

Been there done that. Now get a load of this: I knew someone that worked at UPS sorting boxes and he said that around Christmas they had so many boxes they were walking on top of them!

I think UPS has gotten to high for their horse, especially since they now charge different rates for rural costomers etc. I sure wish someone would really give them some competition. If they keep it up someone will.

I use Priority mail for all my shipments, not only is the UPS service bad, but its too high in price!

Maybe Fed Express is the way to go. If they take care of their boxes like Tom Hanks did in "Cast Away," we've got it made. In case you haven't seen the movie it's awesome.

Cecil

WE TRIED FED-EX

This response submitted by JOE on 1/25/01. ( ) 208.26.98.90

I HAVE A SMALL BUSINESS THAT WE SALE SOME SUPPLIES AND PANELS ALTHOUGH WE ARE SMALL , FED-EX GROUND COMPETED FOR ARE BUSINESS WE TRIED FOR ABOUT 1 1/2 YEAR ON AND OFF TO USE FED-EX. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT FED-EX DO NOT SERVE THE TAXIDERMIST VERY WELL. WE HAD TO FIX PROBLEMS ON A DAILY BASES. THINGS THAT TOOK UPS ONE OR TWO DAYS TO DELIVER IT MAY TAKE FED-EX ONE TO TWO WEEKS TO DELIVER AND THEY DONT CONSIDER MOST TAXIDERMIST A BUSINESS. UPS MAY HAVE SOME ATTITUDE BUT IF YOU DIN'T HAVE ANY REAL COMPETION YOU WOULD TO. THE ONLY THING THAT WAS GOOG ABOUT FED-EX WAS THAT THEY WAS GOOD ON COVERING ANY DAMAGES. SOMETIMES UPS CAN BE A BUTT ABOUT COVERING A CLAIM, THE BEST THING TO DO WHEN SHIPPING WITH UPS IS TO USE ONLY A NEW BOX. THAY CAN DENIE YOUR CLAIM AUTOMATICLY IF THEY WANT IF YOU USE A USED ONE.
GOOD LUCK

Return to Category Menu