Starting next year or the next, I hope!

Submitted by Matt Mitchell on 1/9/01. ( )

Hi i am thinking of opening up my biz next year but have a few questions man i love this art as they call it over the summer i am hoping to mount about 10 pen raised mallards for myself to sharpen up on things. And i am thinking about doing a bunch of squirrels and other mammals to do the same. but i would like to know how to get a taxidermy license and and whatever else i need like permit as long as i am going to do just normal animals nothing exotic like eagles or anything like that. I would really like for anyone with inspiration or ideas for me.


Matt Mitchell

Return to Category Menu

Get all your ducks in a row...

This response submitted by Brent on 1/9/01. ( )


Check with your state fish & game dept. for regulations, liscense info ect. also if you are going to do waterfowl you will have to get a migratory bird permit from the Federal boys. Now that that is done and you are going to run this like a business get a business liscense from your state. With this you can regester the name of your studio/business in return for a fee and you will get to pay taxes in return.

Finally make up price lists with you prices, do not under cut your nieghbor if your work is good charge for it and do not make deals. It is also a good idea to have a contract for when you take in work. This will list at a minimum all of your clients data, price charged, deposits made, disclaimers made by you and a place for the client to sign and date.

There is alot you need to think about and this covers a fraction but I hope you get the idea that you need to treat you studio like a business.

Good Luck
Brent Thyssen
Timber Tiger Taxidermy

Return to Category Menu