If we build it, will they come?

Submitted by BobB on 1/10/01. ( foxranch@hotmail.com ) 216.165.140.16

Maybe, but only if they can find it or are lead to it.

In an effort to seek answers to my questions, I went on a search looking for the
NTA website (thankyou, but yes I know there is a link here)

My thoughts were, what if I was looking to seek membership in a national group,
how would I find them. Well I attend my state show, haven't found them their to
promote themselves, I subscribe to trade journals, maybe I missed their display
ads seeking to promote themselves, heard rumors that they existed, so let's find
them. I got a fancy computer, let it do the work, right......WRONG!

I tried several searches, first with "GO TO", over 3700 sites, yet the top ten list
didn't include "National Taxidermist Association". Tried it by changing to "National
Taxidermists Association". Nope still not in the top ten.

Next I tried it both ways with "Hotbot" still couldn't find them. I then moved onto
"Lycos", over 6300 hits, but still no top ten listing. I couldn't search all 6300 just
to see if they even found it. The top ten included;

1. Taxi Net
2. Texas Tax. Assoc
3. Tenn Tax Assoc
4. Guild of UK Taxidermists
5. McGinnity's Marine Art

He was the number 1 hit on most of the National Taxidermist Association searches

8. "Why should I belong to an organized taxidermy association"

This was a link back to the Texas site

Then I thought, well I tried taxidermist and taxidermists, without luck, let's try
something else. I dropped NATIONAL from my search.

BANG, the number one hit was the NTA website. Is that Ironic or what (LOL) This
whole thing has evolved from their wanting to be our national group, yet to find
them on a web search, you need to drop national from the search.

Checking McGinnity's site to see why he came up #1 on most searches, I found he
had used passage from the NTA on his main page. That itself was also ironic. As it
discusses the number of taxidermists out there and the small % that join. Please
read it for yourself.

"NATIONAL TAXIDERMIST ASSOCIATION

There are approximately 75,000 people in the United States who practice
taxidermy. These findings are based on yellow page listings, mailing lists from
taxidermy supply companies, subscribers to trade publications and the licensing
requirements of some states. Many are hobbyists while some are museum curators,
but the vast majority are part-time and full-time taxidermists who solicit money
for their services. Unfortunately, the overwhelming have no professional training
per se, nor have they been trained or tested in their abilities or knowledge to
perform professional work.

Only a small percent of these taxidermists are affiliated with any taxidermy
organizations, and less than 4% belong to an organization which certifies its members."

Wow, I hadn't even guessed the numbers to be in that range. If those numbers are
accurate, now I really understand why this is such a debated hot topic. If only 4%
of the US taxidermists are NTA members, no wonder this is such a fight. WOW

My eyes are WIDE open!

Return to Category Menu

Must be the search engine

This response submitted by Kim Owens on 1/10/01. ( kowens@kcbd.com ) 63.163.156.66

Bob- because my job involves the internet I was very interested in the above post about the NTA. My search engine is MSN and when I put in National Taxidermist Association I too got the top 10- 1.- Outlook Magazine 2. Taxidermy Net 3. PA Home Page 4. NTA ( and #8). As for the numbers above about membership- pretty sad situation if you ask me. The numbers themselves prove that people in our industry do not take the profession seriously.

Dave Says

This response submitted by Dave Taylor on 1/10/01. ( mastertaxidermist@jam.rr.com ) 24.164.216.51

Interesting Information Bob,
Don't hold your breath waiting for answers to you questions from the other posts though, I've been waiting for months for an answer to mine(why can't the members vote on 100%?)

It seems as if the people "running the show" are on a different page from most NTA members and definitely from most taxidermists.
Mrs. Owens, your reply was a perfect example of that----Your assertion is that "The numbers themselves prove that people in our industry do not take the profession seriously"?
What a load of crap!

As I've said repeatedly, if the NTA would find out what taxidermists want, and meet their needs, then membership increase drastically.
The "numbers" are proving (better than anything else!) just how little value the NTA has to the majority of taxidermists.

Excite brought them

This response submitted by Paul B on 1/10/01. ( Mr.trout@att.net ) 12.87.109.200

in at #2 by typing "national taxidermist association".
Don't want to get involved in NTA discussion , I just was curious to see what the search engine I use came up with.

Paul

It may be the search engine

This response submitted by BobB on 1/10/01. ( foxranch@hotmail.com ) 216.165.140.109

I took some more time and checked some other search engines.

Excite was the #1 hit

Google (netscape?) was also #1

Alta Vista didn't list the NTA in their top ten using a search for

"National Taxidermists Association"

My browser randomly selects the search engine for me, unless I select
one certain company. My personal preference is lycos (I like the lab in
their TV spots)

It could be built--but-

This response submitted by Kim Owens on 1/10/01. ( creativecritters@cs.com ) 64.12.96.230

4% of 75,000 is 3000. That would mean 72,000 don't give a rats behind about improving their work thru education, don't care about the laws and how they effect taxidermy, don't care to meet other taxidermist and share their knowledge, and several other great reasons 3000 of us know because we do belong to taxidermy associations. Correct me if I'm wrong "but the numbers themselves prove that people in our industry do not take the profession seriously."

Dave Says

This response submitted by Dave Taylor on 1/10/01. ( mastertaxidermist@jam.rr.com ) 24.164.216.51

yer just not gettin it.

Let me try again---
It is one helluva leap to say that 72,000 taxiermists don't care about education,laws,others,sharing,etc., simply because they don't belong to the NTA.
that is insulting and absurd,and that type of snobbish attitude is just one of the many problems with the NTA right now.

I look at it like this--96% of all taxidermists don't think the NTA is worth joining.It is obvious that the current philosophy, attitude, and management of the group is lacking(the kindest word I can think of right now).

You are sailing on a leaking ship. You are dancing in the ballroom oblivious to the problems at hand, While I am trying to get the crew to help patch the holes before it sinks. maybe you could lend a hand.

The NTA is not the only association.

This response submitted by Todd B on 1/10/01. ( trigger@indy.net ) 209.183.73.213

Mrs Owens,
Some of us are not members, not because we do not "give a rats behind"
But because it is expensive to be a member of everything.
I am not a member of the NTA but I am proud to say I am a member of the NTA.
I support it very much and have learned alot from the competiton and
the seminars. The NTA has world class taxidermists doing the seminars and
judging just like the NTA does. There is a difference though, the IGT
is not trying to force 100% affiliation on the state associations who want to be
affiliated with it. I may in the future join the NTA but I need to learn more
about it. I do not agree with it wanting the 100% affiliation

OOPs

This response submitted by Todd B on 1/10/01. ( trigger@indy.net ) 209.183.73.213

I accidentaly typed wrong above. I meant to say I am proud to say I am
a member of the IGT.

You folks are not paying attention

This response submitted by Kim Owens on 1/10/01. ( ) 64.12.96.110

I said not one word about the NTA- I said "several other great reasons 3000 of us know because we do belong to taxidermy associations." Go back and read the post above- it says- out of 75,000 taxidermist- 4% belong to associations that certify members and a very small % belong to ANY organization. I love this forum but the problem is- people only read into it what they want to. It's a good thing you won't be tested! No offense meant- but pay attention or we will never get anywhere.

Found it too

This response submitted by Liz on 1/11/01. ( ) 205.188.209.133

I also tried a yahoo search when I saw this. I typed in "national taxidermists association" (including the ""'s) and it was #1. Sounds like o.e. to me.

How many gun owners are there in the US?

This response submitted by Craig on 1/15/01. ( ctracker@rochester.rr.com ) 24.93.8.65

and how many belong to the National Rifle Association? Aren't the figures close to 80 million owners and NRA membership is around 3 million. The NRA isn't telling everyone that buys a gun in the US that they have to join or someday their rights will be revoked and taken away. We are given the choice. If people decide that membership in the NRA is of value to them, then they will join. As it should be with the NTA. There are many state organizations and smaller advocacy groups that were formed to protect the rights of the armed citizen but the NRA isn't knocking on their doors to insist to these groups that if you join them you need to join the NRA.

But Craig they sure told us who to vote for!

This response submitted by Cecil Baird on 1/17/01. ( ) 207.40.89.67

Oh crap here we go again!

Cecil

Cecil, You are given a choice...

This response submitted by craig on 1/18/01. ( ) 24.93.8.65

when you go to the polls and once your vote is cast you are the one that has to live with your decision. If you are subject to suggestive thinking then so be it. I like choices, 100% NTA affiliation doesn't give you a choice.

Return to Category Menu