customers pulling work

Submitted by rob on 1/19/01. ( ) 4.4.29.195

I AM LOOKING FOR ANSWERS FROM EVERYBODY. HAS ANYONE EVER HAD A CUSTOMER DROP OFF WORK THEN A COUPLE OF DAYS LATER COME BACK AND PULL THE WORK FROM YOU? I WANT TO KNOW WHAT EVERYBODY DOES WHEN THIS HAPPENS.THIS IS WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME, I HAD 6 BUFFALO COME IN SAT. THEN TODAY I HAD 4 OF THEM TAKEN "REASON" FOUND SOMEBODY CHEAPER THEN ME. NOW THE QUESTION IS DOES ANYBODY HAVE BINDING CONTRACTS, OR SOME OTHER WAY TO COVER YOURSELF THAT WHEN WORK IS DROPPED OFF THAT IT IS YOURS TO FINISH.THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.

Return to Category Menu

50% deposit

This response submitted by Dave L. on 1/19/01. ( ) 206.191.250.178

I require a 50% deposit on all excepted work, with no refunds. I make no exceptions not even for Jesses Christ himself. This is posted in my show room and shop. My signs are big loud and clear. You should have a least charged for any time you spent, skinning, turning, salting, ect. Get paid in full, for time and materials before returning any thing. Another thing you could have told them is that it is already being tanned, in soulutions, or already sent to tannery. Never lower your price to keep a job, the word will get around and there will be other customers who did not get the same break very unhappy. Tell them your price is higher because you only use the best materials you can get, and you put in the exrta time to produce only the best quality mounts. A QUALITY MOUNT WILL LAST A LIFE TIME! If there only interestred in price, they sould have done their price shopping first over the phone .

Ditto Dave!

This response submitted by John M on 1/19/01. ( creeknationtaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 206.196.112.95

Our policy is 50% Deposit--no refund.
The customer signs the form with this
statement written in Large Print. We
go out of our way to make sure the
customer understands this. Should the
customer want his mount back after we
begin work on it(unlikely but possible
if he is a cheapo like you have here)
he will pay any shop time against it.
The bottom line is cover your expenses,
you aren't a storage facility while some
goober shops around.
Good Luck

problem

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 1/19/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.134.212.84

Yes the above is correct but you must think first about the laws. I do know when I was a contractor and a client signed it and gave a 50% deposit, they had 3 days to change their mind. So I would never start any job till after 3 days, no matter what they signed or said. I do know that is a law.

So yes we do take a chance when someting comes in and we take it. A client may rightfully have the right to take it out. We may be only able to charge for storage. I'm not sure about what happened to you but I would check with a lawyer who knows taxidermy laws.

Good Point Frank!

This response submitted by Pete T. on 1/19/01. ( tebtax@aol.com ) 64.12.96.232

I agree with Frank, I charge a 50% Deposit also, but I have my customers read & sign a Terms Agreement on the back of the receipts that also states: "If work is picked up unfinished ,A charge for services rendered will be applied".
So if a customer drops off a Game head and I skin and salt the hide then 2-3 days later he/she walks in saying that they want their specie back,I will charge for the work I perfomed.
Hope this helps.
Pete Tebar/Tebar Taxidermy

Dave.

This response submitted by M.T. on 1/19/01. ( ) 198.111.209.64

I dont want to turn this into a religous thing,But the proper spelling is Jesus.Unless someone is an Athiast,He would do anything for Jesus Christ if He walked into your shop.Everyone else pays for work rendered.

Spell check

This response submitted by JL on 1/19/01. ( wmlures@xtdl.com ) 216.204.76.180

Hey M.T. since you want to be correct in your spelling the word is ATHEIST and not Athiast.

Frank

This response submitted by Victor on 1/19/01. ( vburk@xtn.net ) 216.98.64.17

Frank,
Interesting point on that 3 day contract cancellation. I never thought about that. What state are you from? Or is this a point possible covered by some type of national law. I'll keep in mind never to start anything before 3 days into the shop.

another thought

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/20/01. ( ) 205.188.209.5

If I had six buffalo dropped off at one time, Id welcome seeing four leave...as soon as possible! (kidding) Dont find ways to keep work in your shop when the guy changes his mind, rather find ways to prevent this thought from occurring to them. I always tell folks Im higher priced from the git go, so they dont walk through my door in the first place unless they are pretty darned sure. I hope you do well with the work you have, so those guys will wish they had stuck with YOU instead.

Agree will Bill too

This response submitted by John C on 1/20/01. ( ) 208.44.115.25

I made a drastic jump in prices this year, two reasons slow down volume and speed up turn around.

Here is what happened.

I only took in 25 deerheads I will soon be done with them, cash flow is great and I dont havto worry about call after call. I cleared wages on 25 what Joe Bob down the street is doing on 70 heads, (less work for me, more time spent for higher quality) I have mounted my last customer duck of the season, also mater of fact it came in four days ago. Yes, I charge two times what ole Joe Bob does.

So where does that leave me, schedule wise, I will start on small game the first of Feb. I am actully going to be caught up soon. I will net more than I groosed last year.

Here is whats is so cool! Everyone is talking about how good and fast they got some of their deer back already. They are bragging about the money they spent, but did not have towait a year to year and a half. My 2001 prices are higher even than the 200 by $40.00

So dont worry about the BISON you lost, you will get other work to fill the gap you thought you had. Bison are specialty work and should have been priced higher to begin with, get the deposit and bill it out for work you have already done.

Next time set caping fees a lot higher, just in case.

Dont worry be happy. John C

Pennsylvania

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 1/20/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.165.72.7

The state that you will always have a friend. I think LOL.

update

This response submitted by rob on 1/25/01. ( ) 4.54.180.177

well after all of this i only had two pulled and from talking to a few of the other taxidermist around town these two clowns are better being out of my shop then still in.i do charge 50% down but this was a little tricky i am tied in with a guide service we have a total of 30 buffalo hunts this month but where is was weird is i meet the clients at the butchers i want to get these animals skinned as soon as possible so that the tricky part. i don't charge to skin if i am getting the work and of course i do charge if somebody is going to pull this is the first time i have had anything pulled in 15yrs of opening my doors so i just wanted to know someone elses responses.

thank you all for the input the part i am worried about is if there is 30 buffalo coming we have 5 per weekend showing up i think i am going to find a new name for "tutonka" since my back is about ready to fall out it will be in the lines of "more of then g!d d*&n buffalo" lol
thanks again

Return to Category Menu