Submitted by DJ on 5/27/01. ( )

Can someone please point me in the right direction in receiving imported skins or waterfowl from out of the country? Is there a list that I need to be on as a taxidermist, and if so what steps do I need to take to do this? Does having a Federal Waterfowl Permit allow you to accept waterfowl from out of the country? Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Return to Category Menu

Re:Import and Customs

This response submitted by Brian on 5/28/01. ( )


You either need to be on the USDA list of approved taxidermist or easier yet use someone who is. You have to be inspected once a year and so forth. Lots of tannires are on the USDA list. So have the hides shipped directly to them instead and have them call you when they arrive. Anyway hope this little bit of info helps get you started in the right direction.

6 Years

This response submitted by Jim Beck on 5/28/01. ( )

I have been an approved USDA facility for going on 6 years. Here's how they do it here in Wis. Since this is the USDA, the procedure should be the same everywhere else.
First you have to have a facility that meets USDA standards. There is a whole list of requirements for your facility that the USDA has developed. For instance, your freezer has to be labeled as used for USDA restricted items. IT has to be in a location that is somewhat secure. (Limited access by others) Then the shop you use has to meet certain requirements. When I had my shop inspected it had to have a sealed floor or a concrete floor that was sealed.
The walls of my work area had to be of a material that is waterproof, since I live in Wis. it was easy to obtain a special wall board that is approved for use in milk houses in barns, it works great and is easy to wash. Then all surfaces that come in contact with the restricted items must be washed with a special disinfectant. This stuff is sixty five dollars a gallon. All birds have to be done within 6 months of reception. You have to keep a log on every bird and their remains have to be incinerated or boiled according to USDA guidelines. All materials in your shop work area are considered contaminated until cleaned with the special disinfectant. By the way, all I do is birds so that make my inspections go easier. But if you have a full service shop, your birds will have to be separate from all the rest of your critters.
Any contact from the birds causes the other to become contaminate according to the USDA. Also, inspections are every 3 months with a general shop inspection once a year. All logs and paperwork is inspected during your quarterly inspections. The License in well over $300 to start and the renewal is close to that each year. The requirements list is a dozen pages and there's more to it than I put here but just to give you an idea. If you want a little more info or just want to talk send me an e-mail and we'll get a hold of each other.
Hope it helped a bit.

Thank You

This response submitted by DJ on 5/28/01. ( )

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate it. I guess this is a bit out of my league, since I am only doing taxidermy work part-time.

Return to Category Menu