New Virus

Submitted by Bill Haynes on 5/30/01. ( ) 216.78.37.145

The SULFNBK.EXE Virus Hoax
This is just another internet hoax.Below is the ''copy and paste'' from the Stiller Research web page,which keeps up-to-date files on all viruses. As the man says, if you deleted this, go to recycle
bin and restore. this si a DOS file that is used to restore long file names. If you have Windows Me, you won' have this file because Win.Me does not have Dos.

This is a another silly virus hoax but this one fools many people because of the fact that it looks like you are confirming the existence of a virus on your PC. The reason this fools many people is because Windows 98 and ME systems have a file called sulfnbk.exe (this is a DOS program used to restore long filenames) that few people are aware even exists.

This version is currently the one of the more common forms of this hoax (but there are quite a number of similar version and there even versions that mention other common but little known filenames.) :

This the only e-mail about a virus which carries
with it a true proposition.

Please follow the instructions

Warning of a hidden (concealed) virus.

I received this warning from a friend and I know it
is not a hoax because I followed her instructions
and found it. My computer had it and I did not know
it.

Aparently Norton 2001 doesn't detect it because I
have that program installed and neither does McAfee.

Evidently this virus arrives hidden (tucked) away in
e-mails.

Thanks to this warning I was able to find it and
eliminate it. (I had it and did not know it.)

To find it, follow these instructions:

1. Go to start
2. Go to find
3. Go to files or folders
4. Enter the file name sulfnbk.exe
5. When it appears as a file, eliminate it (DO NO OPEN IT)
Hit delete.
6. Go to the recycle bin and eliminate it (delete it)
there also.

"sulfnbk.exe" is a normal file distributed Windows with Windows 98 and ME. Finding this file on your PC does NOT indicate you have a virus as is claimed in the hoax.

Please note, that any executable file can be infected and it's quite possible that this file can get infected (as can any other). If this file does not appear in the normal "Command" folder with other DOS files or if it arrives as an email attachement, beware; it could be a trojan or an infected file. (There is a trojan that is delivered via email under this file name!).

Return to Category Menu

More on Hoax

This response submitted by Leanna on 5/31/01. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 209.98.65.58

Thought I'd add this to the pot for additional help. It was an email I received about the hoax and does tell you how to replace the file, if you did delete it. Where it states to "click here" did not reproduce itself in my copy and paste efforts, but if you go to McAfee.com, they will have all the information you need.

Hoax Alert - SULFNBK

Dear McAfee.com Dispatch Subscriber:

An email HOAX has been circulating recently that has received a lot of press and public attention. The subject line may contain "***Virus Alert***" or mention SULFNBK.exe. If you receive a copy of this message, you should ignore it. Do NOT pass it on as this is how an email hoax spreads. You may receive a copy of this message from addresses that you recognize.

DO NOT DELETE ANY FILES FROM YOUR COMPUTER.

There are several versions of this message circulating, in several different languages. The email message may appear in part as follows:

"A VIRUS could be in your computer files now, dormant but will become active on June 1. Try not to USE your Computer on June 1st. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS BELOW TO CHECK IF YOU HAVE IT AND TO REMOVE IT NOW."

"No Virus software can detect it. It will become active on June 1, 2001. It might be too late by then. It wipes out all files and folders on the hard drive. This virus travels thru E-mail and migrates to the C:\windows\command' folder."

The email will also instruct you to delete SULFNBK.exe and to pass the message along to everyone you know.

SULFNBK.exe is a standard part of the Windows operating system and SHOULD NOT BE REMOVED.

For more information about this hoax or for instructions on how to replace SULFNBK.exe if you have already deleted it, click here.

McAfee.com VirusScan Online and Clinic Subscribers: We recommend that you have the latest ActiveShield and DAT files installed for the best virus protection. To download ActiveShield, click here.

Retail VirusScan Users: To download the latest DAT files, click here.

McAfee.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to Category Menu