The toughest customer to deal with

Submitted by Mark C on 5/10/01. ( srceight@i2k.com ) 198.92.78.46

Today, for the second time in three month's, I was visited by a customer and friend who sadly, informed me that he is terminally ill with cancer. As was the case previously, he asked if I could chnge my schedule and finish his mount (abear this time), sooner than planned so he could enjoy it and his memories, in what little time he had left.
Of course I will accomodate him as I have done with another before him. After a long discussion about life, God, Nature and what is really important, he made me aware (once again), of how what we do as taxidermist's, affects peoples lives. It amazes me that at a time like this, a person can place such importance on something that may seem so trivial to others.
We as taxidermist's preserve memories and the beauty of Nature. We provide a service for people which in many cases, will always be with them and not many other professions can boast of that. Although I am not as proficient as many and have not been doing this as long as most, I've realized that this is what is most important to me, in what I do. When there are bothersome issues being discussed, like 100% affiliation anti's, or ebay policies, I remember why I do this and what is important to me and say to myself, I'M JUST HAPPY DOING WHAT I DO.

Return to Category Menu

hit the head on the nail

This response submitted by eric on 5/10/01. ( patti@syclone.net ) 63.80.112.72

mark,
must say you have definately hit the nail on the head (speaking for myself anyway)...taxidermy is a way for me to continue to work with the success ( in the "off season") and be surrounded by the many stories of cool spring mornings hearing the long beards gobble or snowy falls evenings when that big buck walks across your front (as planned of course) or even the stories of a young outdoorsman or woman harvesting there first specimen (from a squirrel to a bear) and preserving that for them...to me and my family every animal we harvest is a "trophy" and i and my son have many mounts throughout the house that many would "smirk" at because of there size.....its the story behind the mount that makes it the trophy and i for one couldnt be happier doing this line of work (even though it is currently part time work for me )god bless to all and happy hunting / trapping

God Bless Mark

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 5/10/01. ( finazducks@aol.com ) 198.81.23.14

Mark I for one hope this mount becomes your best ever. I wish I could see the look in your freinds eyes when he sees it
I Wish you the best
Tony

Nice post Mark...

This response submitted by Travis on 5/10/01. ( ) 12.13.248.14

God bless your friend and his family...yep this place does get hung up on the
small stuff from time to time...always good too see things come back into
perspective...C-ya

Are you the Mark I sold a coyote too last year? If so how did the competition go...

new e-mail is Lonnytravis@aol.com

word is getting around, guys

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 5/11/01. ( ) 152.163.188.9

Im currently about 1 1/2 year for turn around, give or take. Ive had about 40 guys come down with cancer, needing the mounts done soon, in this area...Hmmm. OK, OK, Im just having fun, dont take it the wrong way. Yes, my brother had cancer, I know ALL about it. We can still chuckle, though!

Right on Bill

This response submitted by Mark C on 5/11/01. ( ) 198.92.78.44

Yea we can still laugh about it and so can he. As a matter of fact, that's the guy I called turkey's for this morning. He got one and had a ball.
Cya

Love Canal, its in NY.

This response submitted by John C on 5/11/01. ( ) 208.44.115.69

There I could nearly believe it.

Return to Category Menu