Ohio laws

Submitted by Tim on 10/14/01. ( tjsimon@zoomnet.net ) 208.32.28.60

I have been trying to find out the laws governing Taxidermist in Ohio.I have looked all over the ODNR web page and have come up wiht nothing.Where can I find out such information?Does anyone know?I would be greatful for any help.THANKS

Return to Category Menu

Hi Tim.....

This response submitted by Jeff T. Becker on 10/14/01. ( bbecker@in-touch.net ) 63.160.78.51

here in Ohio, a taxidermy permit is not required, however, if your doing migratory birds you must hold that permit, federally required.Have a great day.

No Permit, but...

This response submitted by CUR on 10/14/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.151

The general provisions for disposition of game and furbearing mammals, fish and birds, also apply to an Ohio taxidermist. Game must be tagged and identified by the normal data. See the General ODNR provisions and regulations to determine the rules or buying, selling and distribution and storage of game. Federal rules under the CFR are the same unless the old blackbird depredation regulations still exist.

Don't forget...

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 10/16/01. ( ) 24.50.200.219

to get a vendor's license. If you charge even one penny. I know a guy who got reamed over this. He had to pay WAY MORE in fines tahn he ever made at taxidermy. It is not difficult to collect sales tax so do it. Don't be fooled into thinking you won't get caught.

Tim

This response submitted by Keith Daniels on 10/16/01. ( arlcape@bright.net ) 209.143.26.23

Ohio just issued a more consistant and understandable set of rules for taxidermists, this came out in late August. Contact your local wildlife officer, you have to anyway to tell him you're going to do taxidermy, and he'll get you the paper work you need for record keeping. He should also have this latest directive, it was issued to all the officers statewide, so everybody was on the same page, in the past, there was wide variations on enforcement issues. If you want, I can get you a copy of this, just let me know.

Keith

Return to Category Menu