I need help on an industry Survey......

Submitted by Shawnia T. on 10/28/01. ( utlegend@yahoo.com ) 24.162.80.25

Greetings,

I need information, and I was told this might be a good place to start. I am working on a survey the Taxidermy industry for a private business.

this is the information that I am trying to locate.

1. How many taxidermists are there in the US?
2. How many of those are parttime, and how many fulltime?
3. How many Deer shoulder mounts are done in the US annually?
4. How many Duck mounts are done in the US annually?
5. How many Largemouth Bass mounts are done in the US Annually?
6. How many Bass Replicas are done in the US annually?

Any Help would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
Shawnia T.

Return to Category Menu

wow you got your hands full

This response submitted by carey on 10/28/01. ( cbtaxidrmy@hotmail.com ) 216.138.28.233

gee to be truthful that is a huge task to accomplish. the easiest way to even get a close number of taxidermist in the US would be to contact each state dnr and see if they could give you the numbers for their state. the rest i have no clue on how to help you out.

Won't work, Carey

This response submitted by George on 10/28/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.6

Many states don't even REQUIRE a license. Delaware requires a business license IF you want to claim you're a business, but that only meets the "general" business license requirements. Shawnia, if you subscribe to Breakthrough Magazine or are a member of the NTA, you already have access to the "reported" information you want. Taxidermy remains a "cottage" or "craft" industry and there is absolutely no way of obtaining accurate figures, however.

Besides that

This response submitted by Dave Toms on 10/28/01. ( ) 66.109.131.230

why don't you state what "private" business wants to know and why. Call me skeptical, but I like to know who's asking

Dave

I am interested in stats too

This response submitted by CUR on 10/28/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.81

1. How many taxidermists are there in the US?
2. How many of those are parttime, and how many fulltime?
3. How many Deer shoulder mounts are done in the US annually?
4. How many Duck mounts are done in the US annually?
5. How many Largemouth Bass mounts are done in the US Annually?
6. How many Bass Replicas are done in the US annually?

You will never know.

This response submitted by John C on 10/28/01. ( ) 208.44.115.18

Let me explain a thing or two. First its no business of anyones but the IRS what I do. Between me and them. Oh hell I am a Emu rancher so there. you cannot ask a question like those and expect straight answers EVER! Why Jimmy Joe dont want Joe Blow to know how fricken cheap he is and how many deerheads he took in or fish he mounted, as for that niether do I. So Shawnia, get done on those knees and beg.

I am interested in stats too

This response submitted by CUR on 10/28/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.81

Are you single?
Where do you live?
Do you like outdoor dates?
Have you ever been sprayed by a skunk?
Do you like big houses, fast cars and money?

Kidding aside, like the others said, the data you seek is best done by searching from provider to provider and totalling up the numbers. Catalog industries like Van Dyke's, Jonas, and WASCO can probably provide you with subscription or total mailin numbers. Individual manufacturers could probably provide you with specific quantities in units of their products.

Sounds to me as if someone is gearing up to do some offshore manufacture of specifics or someone is considering a pro forma structure prior to firing up a vendor industry, or someone has invented a new product or item and is looking for market potential. The possibility of interim capitalists backgrounding a buyout and expansion may be hidden in the request........who knows?

Regarding your questions:

1. 50,000 - 100,000, depending on the liar.
2. fewer than 20% are honestly full-time.
3. Too many.
4. According to the NYPD, three were arrested while attempting to mount ducks in Central Park last year, but many believe the national figure is above 5,000 incidents per annum, most occurring in either West Virginia or Arkansas.
5. Largemouth bass mounting, done in the privacy of one's boat or aquarium by consenting life forms is legal in all 50 states, so records are not kept.
6. Check with the manufacturers.

Return to Category Menu