Has anyone tried Ebay lately?

Submitted by bulletbox on 10/31/01. ( bulletbox@hotmail.com ) 208.33.46.58

Has anyone tried Ebay lately? I don't mean selling mounted animals. I still see that they are allowing them, though the prices seem to have come down lately.

I am interested in, if anyone has tried to sell taxidermy specimens. Frozens, skinned, skinned and salted, skinned and dried, or all the above. If you remember, I was the one who made such a "STINK" over them kick the auctions off.

I do not believe they will EVER let me back on to sell taxidermy specimans, but I was wondering if anyone else has had any luck.

Thank you for your replies.

Sincerely,

D. B. Box
TEXAS
AKA: bulletbox

Return to Category Menu

P.S.

This response submitted by bulletbox on 10/31/01. ( bulletbox@hotmail.com ) 208.33.46.58

I just checked ebay, and there are 2 items listed under "frozen taxidermy" as we speak. I sure hope they let them go through, but if I were a betting man ..., I would hate to put a wager on it.

Here are the address, cut and paste to take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1025576326&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1004995004&indexURL=0&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1656873648&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1005019188&indexURL=0&rd=1

Hope for the best!

bulletbox,
TEXAS

e-bay

This response submitted by wetnwildtaxidermy.com on 10/31/01. ( tomvoyer@home.com ) 24.4.252.201

Hello, i have been putting animal mounts on for about 5 years, and have been very succesfull at it. Problem with e-bay, is unless you have the unusual or specialized taxidermy like myself doing reptiles, the prices are getting low. If you try to sell dear heads, foxes, and the usual taxidermy stuff the prices are terrible. everyone wants a bargain. If you do strange stuff like arachnids, reptiles and weird off the wall african stuff(anteaters, sloths, kangaroos, etc.) you can name your own price , and get it. As for frozen stuff, it is a gamble. They say unless you get written authorization grom USDA, you cannot list whole frozen, meat-on skulls, and such. Like we are gonna eat em? Go Figure
Tom

E-Bay Prices

This response submitted by Mick on 11/1/01. ( MicD63@aol.com ) 152.163.189.97

I think E-Bay can be a great tool for any taxidermist. I don't agree with the abundance of common stuff bringing down the price either. E-Bay opens up a whole new avenue of potential customers, to anyone who chooses to ply their wares in that way. I think that the quality of the work, or lack there of, is what determines the price. While it may be true that rare items will bring a little more on the average, junk pieces will bring low prices, and premium work will command better prices no matter where it's sold.
As far as whole frozen items go, I think the market is in for some real tough times ahead. With a few notable exceptions the fur market has been weak for a number of years, and with the country bordering on another recession, my bet is that it's not going to get better any time soon. While trappers have turned to the taxidermy sector because of a willingness to pay higher prices than the fur market in recent years, I think that road will become an uphill climb as well. As more trappers have discovered this "new" market, the high end users get filled up quick and the demand shrinks. While the influx of new taxidermists and hobbiests may keep some interest alive in whole furbearers, we will likely see a downtrend in overall prices across that board as well. A beginner, who's skills might not be all they hope for, is hessitant to pay $100 for a cat or otter, or $400 for a wolf or wolverine, when there uncertain of how the piece will turn out. Now couple in the decreased faith in air shipping, since the attacks on our country, and we have the formula for a very soft market. While the cheaper goods will continue to sell, the high end goods will become more difficult to move. While I normally suggest a guy/gal stick to their guns on price, I believe that the trappers that are most willing to adapt to market conditions, will be the only ones selling anything this season. Of course this is only my opinion, and I do sincerely hope that I will be proven wrong by the end of this fur harvesting season.

fur and stuff...

This response submitted by trappersteph on 11/2/01. ( ) 152.163.189.97

Well I am hoping to get a nice catch of red fox this season,and decided to do away with frozen skins.Seems a nice red fox is popular for mounting.I am going to dorsal cut some,case skin others,skin to the claw bones,do the lips and ears/eyes,flesh and salt.I plan to do them pretty fresh to avoid ear problems ( had no problems with the ones I skinned and did up fresh last year,shop tanned them and no ear problems at all).Of course,I take the primary measurements off the meat, and will have a tag on each skin with this. More work, more money for it too, and no need to worry should the box get held up in transit. I mean its nice to get say 30.00 for whole frozen fox,but whats it worth if it thaws due to @!*&%#! terrorists? Anyway, thats my big concern,the shipping part.I guess we will just have to see.Anyone shipping whole frozen stuff alot ? Bob Wendt? I know Bob had stuff go bad due to sept 11 hold ups.

Now I don't think the way up north trappers will have a problem selling skins,those skins are NICE! Wolves,lynx, and wolverines will always move if the price isn't too high.The foxes and martins are supreme for taxidermy, nice long fur.

specialty items

This response submitted by Mick on 11/2/01. ( ) 152.163.189.97

Wolves, Wolverine and to some extent lynx, are a specialty fur and thus are not as quickly affected by world economic conditions. Simply put, in any given year, not a lot of wolves and wolverines are taken. Fewer still end up in "mountable" condition. Thus the low supply, keeps the demand going. As for fox and marten, the prices on both are a mere fraction of what they were 20 years ago. I live in northern NY, only one region of the country typically produces fur of higher value, and last year prime number 1 Red Foxes were bringing $20-25. The few NY martens that were caught, likely all went to the taxidermy market, being the fur value was so low. My experience at selling taxidermy ready fur over the past 10 years or so, has been that the labor portion of the total price, was frequently several times greater than the fur value. So for taxidermists that have the spare time, which I no longer do, can make a few bucks for their time, assuming they find willing buyers. However the "willing buyers" usually become fewer in a recession, and then, at a reduced price.
back in the early eighties I was selling Red Foxes at $75-80 averages, pelted out and dried. At the same time Alaskan Lynx were bringing $300 - 500, with bobcats not far behind. There's no doubt in my mind, that few of these hides ever ended up in the taxidermy market then.

Return to Category Menu