question on the red numbers after a posting?

Submitted by Bob Wendt on 3/26/02. ( kmjohnson40@hotmail.com ) 67.37.4.220

Lately whenever I post on the for sale forum I get some rude remark or cut down degrading me or my goods. I have always felt it was a child or just a real low IQ person. I notice on a "misc.heads " listing I made 3 days ago the red numbers on the first snide remark(no name left) match the red numbers on a later remark. Does this mean it is the same person posting both times. If so it explains a lot as the person left their name on the last "damage control" posting. You people smarter on computers let me know as I am curious as to who the chicken hearted back stabber really is and would love to make it known to all who the real "no name " bathmouther is.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

In some cases

This response submitted by Ken Edwards on 3/26/02. ( ken@taxidermy.net ) 209.86.102.137

In many cases, the red numbers (TCP/IP address) can be used to determine a person's identity, but in this particular case, no. The anonymous poster was accessing the internet through an AOL (America On Line) gateway, so the same numbers coud be assigned to anyone using AOL. I did a quick seaerch on the numbers and found posts from this number attributed to dozens of regular contributors, all of whom are AOLers.

Another question

This response submitted by Bob Wendt on 3/26/02. ( ) 67.37.6.180

Ken, another person e-mailed me direct in responce to my inquiry, the same as you above said, but indicated that when posting on the same thread the red numbers remain the same, so indeed this was the same person. Is this correct? Apparently somebody is very jealous, chidish or feels threatened- or all of the above as the back stabbing has gotten a little ridiculous lately. I don`t take much stock in whatever anybody has to say that won`t identify themselves, but it does get a little aggravating to get jabbed with every posting.

No

This response submitted by Ken Edwards on 3/26/02. ( ken@taxidermy.net ) 207.69.39.47

No, Bob, the person that told you that is misinformed. Look at your red numbers above...they are different. The only way the numbers are certain to stay the same is within the same dial-up session.

The same number from an AOL gateway proves nothing. In the same message, I have seen different AOLers with the same numbers from different parts of the country (for instance, Bill Yox, George Roof, and John Bellucci could all respond to a message with the same TCP/IP numbers, because they are all on AOL).

thanks Ken

This response submitted by Bob Wendt on 3/26/02. ( ) 67.37.7.52

Thanks Ken----Bob

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu