Endangered Species

Submitted by Tiny on 3/28/02. ( )

A customer has asked me to do a full body mount on an endangered Gazelle. I know he has permits for them because he breeds them. Do I as a taxidermist have to have any special permits for endangered species? I won't be able to contact my state wildlife people until after the easter holiday. I just wondered if anyone has delt with endangered species before. I appreciate any advice.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Don't bother

This response submitted by mike d on 3/28/02. ( the_taxidermist@yahoo.com )

Don't even bother with your state people!
If this is a cites animal it is under federal jurisdiction;
my experience with state officials on these types of things
is that they don't have a clue!
It is not something they are responsible for, and they have
enough to worry about with the things they are supposed to know.
Ask your breeder for his Dept of Interior contact, and call them;
if they deal with his permit to breed, then they should be able
to tell you what you need to mount one! Or at least know which
other fed to put you in touch with.


This response submitted by Bryan on 3/29/02. ( )

I dont see it as a problem if he has permits, and they are not indigidous to the region, And if its not some funky special permit that says something such as the animmal must be turned in or destrooyed when deceased. just a thought.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu