Petition against Peta's Status

Submitted by Pat Lee on 3/29/02. ( pat@superpa.net ) 199.234.188.170

this URL will take you to the signature page.

http://www.petitiononline.com/rvkptaex/petition.html

To: The Internal Revenue Service of the United States.
Peta has been making over 10 million dollars per year in donations over the last 5 years. On their website, it is shown that your donation will go to help the animals, but it has been discovered otherwise.
Peta has a tax-exempt status on all donations they recieve.
To be eligible for 501(c)(3) tax exemption, a group must be organized and operate exclusively for charitable purposes. Its activities cannot be illegal, or "in conflict with express statutory restrictions." And its activities must promote its main purpose.
it was recently discovered that Peta donated $1,500 to the "earth liberation front" to "support their program activities" back in the year 2000.
ELF is considered a terrorist organization by the FBI, and for a reason. their "program activities" include the arson of a $12 million mountaintop lodge at Vail, spiking trees in Idaho's Nez Perce National, burning down a barn and cutting fences at a wild horse facility run by the Bureau of Land Management, setting fire to a biotechnology research facility at the University of Minnesota, and numerous other destructive acts. According to the FBI's counterterrorism division, ELF has caused $43 million in damage in the past six years.
The Center for Consumer Freedom has recently discovered that Peta donated $45,000 to the "support committee" for Rodney Coronado, who was convicted of setting fire to a research facility at Michigan State University.
They have also discovered that Peta donated $5,000 dollars to the comitee for josh harper, an associate with ELF's sister organization, the Animal Liberation Front, (ALF) who also commit to violent acts.
I view these as acts of terrorism, extortion, and intimidation, and certainly do not consider them applicatory to the definition of elegibility for tax-exempt status.
The IRS has been refractory to any pressure from celebrity or high-level figures, and we do not ask for any more than this.
We would like the IRS to please launch a review of Peta's tax exempt status, and become familiarized with the organization. They may find that Peta, as an organization, does not deserve the tax exemption they recieve.
Here, again, is the definition.
To be eligible for 501(c)(3) tax exemption, a group must be organized and operate exclusively for charitable purposes. Its activities cannot be illegal, or "in conflict with express statutory restrictions." And its activities must promote its main purpose.
do they fit?
Petition for the review by the IRS for tax-exempt donations to Peta.
Thanks for the consideration
-Jack McLarty
Sincerely,
The Undersigned

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

why do we need a petition?

This response submitted by Liz on 3/29/02. ( ) 152.163.188.230

I understand the thinking behind it, but if PETA is breaking the IRS laws, why do we need a petition for them to take a look at it. I should think that calling their attention to it would be enough. (Don't get me wrong, I definately think it needs taking care of) I just figure either the IRS will do it or it won't. A petition isn't really going to make the difference. And, shouldn't the petition go to a specific person at the IRS, like maybe their agents? Who will it be sent to? How do we know it's going to a specific person and not going into the "dear IRS" dead file?

Two things have bothered me about these Peta petitions

This response submitted by BobB on 3/30/02. ( foxranch@hotmail.com ) 216.165.140.204

Many years ago when I decided I wanted my first foxes, I found contact information for fox breeders on a peta web site. They of course were hoping folks with single digit IQs would cause problems for the listed fur dealers. So my first concern is, who will get the list of folks signing the petition. In my state the DNR no longer releases taxidermists names - ever wonder why?

My second concern is about the tactic of a petition to eliminate a non-profit org that people agree with. Why show their attorney a road map to attack the non-profit groups we support. While we may not agree with their goals, if we want to benefit from the same non-profit status, why risk tipping the boat when we rock it?

I wonder about Online petitions

This response submitted by jason dennis on 3/30/02. ( jasondennis@alltel.net ) 166.102.174.37

I see these online petitions pop up all the time on different message boards and I started to fill one out when I started wondering the validity of them. It seems to me this could be an easy scam to build huge databases of personal info to sell to junk email marketers. I know they say your email is stored in a secure location but they can say anything.

Jason

Makes No Difference To Me

This response submitted by Pat Lee on 3/30/02. ( ) 199.234.188.187

I just put this up to make hunters, trappers and taxidermists aware of the site since this is a forum. How you feel about it or what you decide to do about it is up to each individual. The site seems legit to me. And if you have questions, the man who is running the whole thing has his e-mail address up for questions. I felt some of you may be interested. Thanks Pat

Don't get me wrong...

This response submitted by jason dennis on 3/31/02. ( jasondennis@alltel.net ) 166.102.174.59

Don't get me wrong, an online petition sounds like a great idea if it would hold up legaly. It would allow you to reach an enormous group of people that you wouldn't be able to otherwise. I didn't mean to scare people away from signing the petition, its not like giving out your social security or credit card number. I am the last one to think there is a conspiracy behind everthing. I'd say go for it and worse case, you might get some junk email.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu