fleshing machine over inflated price

Submitted by professionable taxidermist on 3/2/02. ( ) 65.119.123.156

i do believe a fleshing machine is a asset to our profession although i will not be taken advantage of! this is a simple machine, couple guardes, blade, pully, there's nothing there to justify a $800 to $1000 price tag no matter how you come back with some fancy worded explanation. when they come down to a reasonable price i will be the first to purchase one, till then i believe there priced out of the market place, mine for sure!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

OK, Ill bite

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 3/2/02. ( ) 64.12.96.107

Hmmm, my truck is not worth the sticker, either, but Im not willing to walk until they lower the prices. If you want those capes shaved thin, youll pay a tannery around thirty dollars per cape to do it for you, or pay for a fleshing machine. Even if half that $30 was going towards shaving, 40 or 50 capes buys the machine. and everyone who owns one sure has justified it! Good luck to you, while you wait...

Dear professionable taxidermist.........

This response submitted by b bishop on 3/2/02. ( bishops@newnorth.net ) 209.83.43.100

as the saying goes Penny Wise and Dollar Foolish applies here. I bought a machine at a reduced price that was considered used but was never put into service. Yes, I was in the right place at the right time and this always helps but, now that I have one and know what I can do with it-I would pay double the price you mentioned or more.
You see, you can spend the money to buy a time saving device such as this and consider it the best investment you can make( provided that you do enough work to warrent buying a quality machine). It is YOUR time and time is money. I have shaven capes every conceivable way I could think of and I know what I am talking about.
When you consider that this machine, taken care of properly, should last you forever,and the fact that you can write the expense off on your taxes AND when your thru with it you can sell it for a pretty penny, dont you think that the only person being cheated here is you, by YOU !
I tottaly understand the frustration of expensive items but think about it, this machine will make you money and my friend, you can take that to the bank. Brad

My two cents worth

This response submitted by Carl E on 3/2/02. ( mtnhntr@msn.com ) 63.26.77.50

I'm not a professionable taxidermist like you say you are. I do taxidermy on the side for a hobby and a little extra money on jobs for friends and aquaintences. But I just bought a Dakota v for 599.00 and I love it. I can just imagine trying to make a living without one. It's your work and your money, but I bet after having one for a year you'll wonder how you lived without it. Carl

Try This

This response submitted by BLISTER on 3/2/02. ( ) 64.19.84.65

If you want to save some more money try this...glue a narrow piece of sand paper to a wooden dowel,grasp dowel firmly between your thumb and index finger,now spin dowel,repeat as needed...
There,.. now you won't need to buy a dremel tool!
whine somewhere else

Hold on Ya'll

This response submitted by Tim on 3/2/02. ( ) 204.136.184.34

Lets keep it real.I am neutral on this.I own an expensive machine,but the PRO.TAXI.does have a valid point.The prices on these machines are ridiculous for what you get.Some are $800 and that dont include a motor to run the darn thing.I agree that they are a must to get the results we all want.Its shame that they are so expensive.Thats all.

BLISTER

This response submitted by POP on 3/2/02. ( ) 204.136.184.34

Ill give a blister.A blood blister on your lip.How about that you smart *&^%$#@!

I introduced the fleshing machines

This response submitted by Gerry on 3/2/02. ( fleshing@atreide.net ) 207.96.128.104

Mr X,

After selling machines for more than 25 years I barely made a resonnable life. A machine should be calculated on what it can produce for you in a year when used reasonnably. One customer told me he saved $4,000.00 the first year. You don't know how to make money,
reduce your work time with good tools and increase your prices.

Gerry

Don't buy it !

This response submitted by Phillip Morris on 3/3/02. ( ) 63.36.195.36

Pro Tax
Don't buy the machine ,you are going to need the money to help pay reparations, it is still alive thanks to the liberal democrats ,da Rev Jessie and big Al Sharpton,And the price for twenty little cigarettes in NEW YORK CITY is going to 7.00 per pack according to the news report.

Why a airbrush? Why a air compresser, why a flshing knife?

This response submitted by John C on 3/3/02. ( ) 64.216.172.26

You dont need the above or even scalpel blades, why the paints for fish? Why any tanning chemicals? We can all get along without them byt it sure makes time savings.

So how much is your time worth? How much is slower production and poorer quality worth?

Why a bird flesher, why a tumbler? TIME IS MONEY, MONEY helps the family.

If I read into your qeustion correctly, you are underskilled, under educated in this industry and earning far lass wages, of those far less wages you are not claiming them on you income taxes. You dont realize you can write the tools off in a few years per time.

Why do I say this and point a finger?

Many do exactly the same thing I just mentioned, I see it every month.

If I were you I would find a good CPA to help you!

I forgot you dont need one, you can count and have TURBO TAX.

WRONG!!

The neat thing is

This response submitted by Roger on 3/3/02. ( Emery30@msn.com ) 67.234.133.40

you don't need to buy a fleshing machine. No one can force you to spend your hard-earned cash on one, no one can force you to improve the quality of your mounts or keep you from spending your money on the items that ARE worth the money. It's your call. The 2 fleshing machines in my shop have paid for themselves many times over, but that was my choice and my decision to purchase them was correct for me. Only you can decide what is best for you. Good luck and good mounting.

fleshing machine response

This response submitted by professonable taxidermist on 3/3/02. ( ) 65.119.124.115

your responses are as expected,i did say the fleshing machine is a asset to our proffesion as it is.you all say time is money as it is,i choose to send my deer capes to a tannery, i save money this way.lets see time is money, salt the cape,rehydrate in a salt solution, place in a pickle for two days, remove from the pickle & shave thin, put back into the pickle one more day, neutralize with baking soda, rinse thoroughly, dry & apply liqua tan, clean up all the mess, the next day it's ready to mount. cost $30 dollars for a tannery,my shop rate is $20 dollars a hour,unless i can do all this in 1 & a half hours i'm not saving anything, i can't.add about 50 more capes & i have one heck of a mess to clean up which is more time. if it works for all you other taxidermist thats fine & i wish you the best of luck,figure out all your time, even clean up & what ever tan you use, perhaps time wise it's not economicl. i would buy a fleshing machine to use in my spare time for competition pieces.....when the price becomes reasonable.by the way i been a taxidermist over thirty years & do very , very well. thank you & god bless

fleshing machine

This response submitted by Carl Fisher on 3/3/02. ( 2fishes4852@comcast.net ) 68.44.171.20

I built my own. I have a $100. mig welder and some tools. I'm just an average Joe homeowner. I looked at a picture, bought some bearings a shaft material, blade, blade guards, some scrap steel, couple pullies to reduce rpm's. Found a 1/2 horse single phase motor at a yardsale for $5. I didn't know if the motor worked but the seller said it did so for $5 what the heck. It did. Cut all the steel with a jig saw, welded it together mounted it on a table with a hole through it mounted the motor underneath with a auto fan belt. The motor mounted on a piece of 1/4 plate steel and hinged for easy belt removal and tension was well worth my effort. For a total cost of about $195. I do about 25 to 30 whiletail capes per year and it is a blessing to have this machine. Takes me about an hour to flesh an average cape to a nice thin consistency with out any holes. Well, nearly never a hole. So how is that? I built my own mounting stands for practically nothing by taking some time at the junkyard buying good pipe and steel plate. I didn't want to spend a lot of money either so I did the next best thing and spent less. I can buy a lot of products with the savings. I'm in the process of building an 800 sq. ft. addition to my home that will be a decent shop. I will save thousands doing it myself or mostly myself. If you can't do it yourself then you just have to pay the price. Either way, it's worth having the equipment to make the job easier, quicker and better. By the way, I see that there are a lot of responses to this post. So I would like to ask, is an hour to flesh a whitetail cape to long not including the face?

O K, I'll Bite Too

This response submitted by Keith Daniels on 3/4/02. ( arlcape@bright.net ) 216.201.33.179

I'll not argue that most taxidermists are money ahead to send capes off, but some have the time, or just want to do them themselves. So, that just leaves us with the cost of a machine. You think it's too high?

The one we build has right at $500.00 materials cost in it. Good motors, bearings, sheaves, castings, stainless steel etc. are a long ways from being cheap. Now you get to use a lathe and mill for making spindles, cutting keyways, mounting slots, plates, drill and tap holes etc. Ever paid machine shop rates? It ain't no $20.00 an hour, I promise you that. Or you can do like I did, lay out a few grand for the equipment, then still pay a man to run it, either way, it's a long way from being free. How about paint? And someone with the tools to paint it? (Body Shop) Ever make a foundry pattern? Got any idea how much time it takes to make an original, then bed it up and make a two piece RTV mold with mother mold in a frame, then make your pattern board and get the casting resin poured into a good usable pattern?

There's also untold little things that go into manufacturing anything too, and they all add up. When you get all this experiance under your belt, then let me know how over priced shavers are.

Keith

Mr. P. T.

This response submitted by b bishop on 3/4/02. ( bishops@newnorth.net ) 209.83.43.162

Please dont forget that you also must flesh ,salt,turn,dry,collect and box them, run to the shipping office, pay shipping and then pray they all come back and in good shape ,pay for return shipping and then unpack them and rehydrate them not to mention the final thinning. The folks that keep thier hides in shop have total control over the whole process and they like it this way and are willing to take complete responsability for thier work. I have no problem with your way either but surely do believe fleshing machines and the skills to run them are worth every penny. Brad B.

bottom line, they ARE worth the money

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 3/4/02. ( ) 64.12.96.107

Carl has the right idea, you CAN build them, and cheap too, provided you dont figure your TIME, that is. I still think that they are worth the money spent. I send most of my stuff out, many to Kieth Daniels (cuz he's good) yet I still do some tanning here at my shop. Now that the money is spent, I couldnt see myself without a machine!

LET US SETTLE THE ISSUE on FLESHING MACHINES

This response submitted by MR. KIM on 3/11/02. ( ABEARTAXIDERMY@AOL.COM ) 152.163.188.66

Any professional business endevor requires the "tools" of the trade.
One of the tools,happens to be a very reliable fleshing machine. We own and use three fleshing machines every day in our shop. Plus we use the services of a tannery. We stay very busy and we employ nine people. All regardless of "job title" or speciality, must be a qualified user of the good old fleshing machine. Any shop or so-called professional must use this machine to simply get the "job" done. YOU COULD SHAVE EVERYTHING WITH A KNIFE OR SHARPENED SPOON,BUT WHY? To go back to the old times, so to speak, is simply to go backwards IN BUSINESS PROGRESS. QUALITY AND TIME ARE SOME OF THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTORS IN MANAGEMENT OF ANY BUSINESS. The fleshing machine does cost several hundred dollars. but this machine can make you thousands and save you thousands of dollars in all of the various forms from time in hours to quality products out the door. I will not cover everything however it is safe to say that YOU AND ANYONE THAT WANTS TO INCREASE PRODUCTIVITY AND MONEY IN YOUR POCKET, SHOULD BUY ONE AND USE IT!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu