import export

Submitted by buzzy on 3/7/02. ( )

we got word that if you accept animals from canada for mounting (CARIBOU< BEARS SHEEP<< ELK GOATS that you now have to have a usfws import /export license if so when did this come about or is what we heard BS

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu


This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 3/7/02. ( )

All you have to do is have the capes, horns, etc. from the hunter or thru his guide shipped to a tannery or broker that is lic. Or if the hunter brings the trophies into the states in person with him along with all his lics. etc.; he can then give or send you the trophies for the taxidermy without hassle. You can not recieve trophies direct from out of the USA without a import/export permit. This has been true for a long time.

Great Info Jim

This response submitted by George on 3/7/02. ( )

I've heard this one a LOT recently and as Jim said, this in nothing new. I don't have a license as they are over $300 a year and I don't have that kind of volume to handle it. Take Jim's advise about coordinating with YOUR tannery to receive direct shipment. Best yet is to advise the HUNTER that he is responsible for delivering the capes and paperwork to you. The capes BELONG to the hunter and he does not NEED a license to bring them in with him or to be at the port of entry to sign for and accept them. Put the onus on the owner.

ship to

This response submitted by mike d on 3/7/02. ( )

It was explained to me by USFW a couple years ago that the
hunter could have his trophies shipped to himself at my address
and no permit would be needed.
As long as you are not dealing with swine or primates!
That is a whole 'nother story!
Is this still allowed?

Partially True

This response submitted by Len on 3/7/02. ( )

I just dealt with this issue with the USF&WS a week ago and I will tell you how they explained it to me. They also sent me a copy of the Import/Export Laws.
The Import/ Export Laws are covered under Sec. 50 CFR 14. Under Sec. 50 CFR 14.4 and 14.91 it will explain about taxidermists. ( Here goes ) Basically, if YOUR TAXIDERMY BUSINESS imports or exports animals from a foreign country ( including Canada ) for commercial purposes,you will need a Import/Export License. ( This includes buying,trading, or bartering )
If YOUR CUSTOMER BRINGS IN a animal for mounting from a foreign country, you are not required to have a Import/ Export License as his name will be on the Import/ Export of Record.
A broker can handle shipments covered under the USDA and can shipped them directly to you. Swine and primates must go directly to a tannery covered under the USDA.
A Federal Import/Export License application can be obtained by called the USF&WS at 612-713-5320. The license fee is $50.00 per year and they do charge $55.00 Inpsection Fee for each shipment coming into the country.( There are exceptions to these fees )
I hope this helps a little as the laws can be very confusing.

All true, But....

This response submitted by Lars on 3/7/02. ( )

no one has mentioned that all Bears also need a CITES permit as well, and is also only obtained by the hunter.

That's a whole nother issue

This response submitted by Liz on 3/8/02. ( )

CITES permits are a whole other issue. There are a lot of species that require CITES permits. Usually from the FOREIGN country, no the US unless it's an elephant or leopard or something. The permits have to accompany the shipment and have nothing to do with an import/export license. The import/export license is just a general permit saying you can do business importing and exporting wildlife. Bye the way, Canada no longer requires a CITES permit for bears that are personal accompanying baggage of the hunter who shot it.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu