Diatomeceous earth, do you know what it is?

Submitted by John C on 3/7/02. ( ) 64.216.172.90

Tiny crustation shells with razor sharpe edges. Its used to filter large aquariums. Also as insecticide. A National Geographic from about 25 years ago show how it cuts cockroaches in the soft tissue between the exoskeleton joints and they bleed to death.

Womder how they work with Dermistides.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Actually Diatoms

This response submitted by Kenneth on 3/7/02. ( bauman@caddoelectric.net ) 65.64.66.252

They are actually the shells of a protist known as diatoms. Sorry John I couldn't resist.

Hey still shells, oh go coach a baseball team.

This response submitted by John C on 3/7/02. ( ) 64.216.172.90

But they do what?

good for...

This response submitted by John Byrd on 3/7/02. ( ) 68.11.234.148

I guess any exoskeletoned bug that is large enough to track through it could get ground up. I know down here in Louisiana you can buy it in little squirt bottles to leave small lines of powder behind the fridge for roaches to walk through. Cleaner than insecticide. It is a naturally occurring free silica like finely ground glass. It is also the stuff they use in paints for roadsigns and highway striping to make it highly reflective. OK Bye

JC

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 3/7/02. ( ) 205.188.209.39

The deer farmers are using it as a dewormer, too. Not me, though...

I use it.

This response submitted by Randy C on 3/7/02. ( randy028@henderson.net ) 216.135.19.72

I Looked into it last year for my chickens. It works real good for a wormer, also it helps keep flys down in the summer. the meal industry uses it to keep weebles down. I wouldnt be suprised if all of us havnt ate some and dont know it :-)

Put in in the tumbler

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 3/7/02. ( ) 209.83.89.250

I use it in my tumbler with the corn cob grit. I was told it is real good at removing moisture and making whites their whitest.

Useful around livestock and poultry

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 3/7/02. ( ) 63.14.158.49

I have heard many people raving about how well it works to remove intestinal parasites without being toxic. It also cuts down on flies because the maggots can't live in the manure without being cut up.
Apparently there is a food grade which can be given to animals and a filtration grade which is used for swimming pools, etc. but is toxic to eat. Naturally, the food grade is more expensive.
It sounds pretty neat. I may try it on my chickens and turkeys this summer.

Nancy M.

surprized?

This response submitted by brice on 3/7/02. ( michelew@netwitz.net ) 64.240.155.196

you shouldnt be surprized if you have eaten some. as far as i know they still use it in tooth paste as well. you know that abrasive or gritty stuff in there.

brice

Diatoms

This response submitted by Kenneth on 3/8/02. ( bauman@caddoelectric.net ) 64.58.38.92

Not only can I coach baseball, but I also do well in the classroom. Diatoms are protist that belong to the Division/Phylum Chrsophyta. They have a doubled walled shell composed of silicon dioxide. The sedimentary remains are considered diatomaceous earth. It is used commercially as an abrasive, (sanding, tootpaste,,,), in detergents, paint removers, fertilizers, and insulators. Anyway, I have heard of taxidermists using them in their tumble mixes.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu