LET US SETTLE THE ISSUE on FLESHING MACHINES

Submitted by Mr. Kim on 3/11/02. ( ABearTaxidermy@aol.com ) 152.163.188.197

LET US SETTLE THE ISSUE on FLESHING MACHINES
Any professional business endevor requires the "tools" of the trade.
One of the tools,happens to be a very reliable fleshing machine. We own and use three fleshing machines every day in our shop. Plus we use the services of a tannery. We stay very busy and we employ nine people. All regardless of "job title" or speciality, must be a qualified user of the good old fleshing machine. Any shop or so-called professional must use this machine to simply get the "job" done. YOU COULD SHAVE EVERYTHING WITH A KNIFE OR SHARPENED SPOON,BUT WHY? To go back to the old times, so to speak, is simply to go backwards IN BUSINESS PROGRESS. QUALITY AND TIME ARE SOME OF THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTORS IN MANAGEMENT OF ANY BUSINESS. The fleshing machine does cost several hundred dollars. but this machine can make you thousands and save you thousands of dollars in all of the various forms from time in hours to quality products out the door. I will not cover everything however it is safe to say that YOU AND ANYONE THAT WANTS TO INCREASE PRODUCTIVITY AND MONEY IN YOUR POCKET, SHOULD BUY ONE AND USE IT!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

?

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 3/12/02. ( ) 24.50.252.114

been in business 20 years and NEVER owned a rotary machine. I can operate one quite well, but never spent the dollars. I have always felt that sending out my tanning was much more cost effective. I can send my salted hides out and have them ALL back in 2-3 weeks wet tanned and thin. Why do I need my own machine? If you don't do your own tanning you don't need one.

What th?

This response submitted by CUR on 3/12/02. ( wildart@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.94

What was that all about? A "fleshing machine" could be a good man or woman with a sharp knife. No piece of equipment is necessary unless one uses it enough to justify the cost. Woody Goodpastor put up more mammal skins than any man I ever met, yet he never owned a rotary flesher. In fact, (and I may get blasted for saying this) there is little need to shave most common hides for commercial taxidermy. Other than the skin around the lips, eyes and noses of most mammals, "fleshing", a misnomer, is not needed. The fleshing is done, or should be done prior to salting. Once tanned, thinning the lip, eye and nose region will allow for better detailing. This crap sounds like John Henry and the Steam Drill. It is simple, if you do a lot of work, it is right handy. A little work, it is a &%^$% dust collector that is a waste of money.

Why argue the point?

This response submitted by Art on 3/12/02. ( hursey1@sota-oh.com ) 216.28.80.218

If I think I need a fleshing machine, I probably do.
If you don't think you need one, you probably don't.
You can't tell me I don't need one, and I can't tell you you do.
It's all relative! There's no right and wrong here.

rigth on ART

This response submitted by kiwi on 3/12/02. ( ) 210.86.41.220

It is up to the taxidermist or Tanner if they want one then get one
I Have one and would not be with out it, But hey I made that choice to have one and Paid for it,,you make you own mind up

You must be NEW here

This response submitted by terry v on 3/12/02. ( tvining@mail.riverview.net ) 216.120.182.137

Nothing ever gets settled on here. I bet someone will disagree with me on that statement. lol

Whew! Am I ever glad Mr. Kim settled that debate!

This response submitted by Lars on 3/12/02. ( ) 206.127.86.28

Now I can sleep at night....and no, I don't use one, it's so much faster using a small knife and a bench beam. I did try , however, and wound up doing more damage than ever. Some of us are just not very skilled at some things. But then again, I still use Detrin hide paste. I heartily advise to try everything and use what suits you.

wow

This response submitted by Roger on 3/12/02. ( Emery30@msn.com ) 67.232.34.161

I wasn't sure we would EVER get that settled. Now, I know I do it right.

I still wanna know.....

This response submitted by cur on 3/12/02. ( wildart@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.125

what that was all about? I didn't know there was an issue about fleshers. Wonder if someone is trying to sell fleshers on here? Naw, probably not!.....I'm with Lars......LOL

I just cant help myself

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 3/12/02. ( ) 205.188.209.16

First off, I dont endorse or make a fleshing machine. If I did, though, Id call it a shaving machine, as we arent fleshing with them, but thats another post from a few months ago. I DO send most stuff out, and I DO own a machine. I also shave all my small mammals, if for no other reason then to degrease them. Lars, yep, I still make those mistakes, and better yet, I still make them with the beam as well. Im pretty much an "equal opportunity skin cutter". Thought maybe you guys would come out and 'fess up to your nicks and gouges if I came forward first, hahaha.

Shaver

This response submitted by David on 3/13/02. ( ) 66.163.5.113

I am a beginner with hides and I went out and bought a flesher. (I wont
say what kind so you can't accuse me of trying to sell one)
I love the thing!
It works great and I don't know how anyone would want to flesh by
hand after using one of these machines.
Also, for those guys who 'have always done it by hand and dont need
a flesher', please name one, just one, commercial tannery where they
flesh the hides by hand.

This is for Jim Tucker

This response submitted by Ken on 3/13/02. ( ken.wampner@noaa.gov ) 205.165.224.132

Jim,

What I want to know is where you have your tanning done to be able to get your hides back in 2-3 weeks. Do you do so much work that you have your own vats at the tannery like some big name taxidermist do? If you do then that explains why...but if you don't I'd sure like to have the name of your tannery.

Ken

Golden State

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 3/13/02. ( ) 24.50.252.114

in CA

David

This response submitted by CUR on 3/14/02. ( wildart@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.165

Commercial tanneries do thousands (that's 1,000's) pf hides a week or maybe even in a day's time. That is why they employ the shavers and the flesher equipment. I have had shavers in the past, and they were a nice toy, but I feel that a sharp knive and a beam will do the job just as well for the average taxidermist. I recently watched a fellow actually flesh a cape using a "flesher" during a seminar. I don't know how he stacks up against the rest of the folks, but I could have fleshed that cape with my knife, knocked off and had lunch and two beers and made the girlfriend happy before he finished. Too often, I think, the name of the game is that the guy who dies with the most toys wins!..........see ya

If your not bright enough to use one then don't

This response submitted by Mark on 3/15/02. ( jnmb@cpinternet.com ) 208.149.16.138

Hey I have a shaver, never used one before until I worked at a tannery. I ahve no problem with shaving eye lids so you can see your finger tip through them, noses until they are black, lips so they are the same thickness and tuck a lot easier. thinning facial area and hides in general saves on time. I never have to use pins, staples, or nails my hides don't pull when drying and stay how I put them, I can do anything with a rotary knife faster and better than with a knife. I can skin turn flesh and salt a bear on a beam in 30 to 45 minutes. I spend about 5 minutes after tanning thinning the facial areas. Yea I could use a knife, but I use what works the best for me. You Don't have to do anything you don't want to but thinning is easier on a rotary knife, and your mounts look a lot better when you learn how to use one.

ANOTHER FLESHING (SHAVING) MACHINE COMMENT

This response submitted by Hard Working on 3/18/02. ( ) 205.188.209.16

This is why YOU SHOULD IF POSSIBLE, BUY AND USE A ROTARY WHEEL, SHAVING MACHINE, FLESHING MACHINE OR ANY OTHER NAME YOU WANT TO USE..

Professional tools are for people that want to work for a living. Not for the people that just turn out a "few" mounts for competition or just a few mounts a year just so everyone will give them attention. Do you like the attention? Be honest and ask yourself this question.

Any tool that is designed for the professional taxidermist in which TIME and LABOR can be saved should be used if at all possible. If any professional taxidermist (not the wanna be glory grabbers) runs a professional FULL TIME SHOP and has a good volume of business, must use quality equipment (expensive or not so expensive) to get the job done. Freedom of choice. If you want one, buy it! If not, don't!
The true professionals (again, not the glory grabbers) know what I am talking about. Machines do save time, labor and of course will make you more money in the long run. The simple, "wanna be" non-professional taxidermist will not understand any of this.

THE"COMPUTER" TAXIDERMIST REALLY HAVE NO CONCEPT ON THIS MESSAGE.
Do you really practice taxidermy? Are you positive?

Now I understand that some of you will be offended by what I have just stated. Ask yourself, do you really run a FULL TIME TAXIDERMY SHOP? Are you realistic? Does it make sense to still use "backwoods" technology? Many of you complain about the cost of equipment. I agree that EVERYTHING is expensive. However if you people can afford your computers and all of the related equipment, how can you justify NOT buying the PROFESSIONAL TOOLS you really need for the true PRODUCERS and workers of our profession? Would you rather spend two hours a day fleshing or eight or ten or more? Use your brains and design, build, make and create what you need and of course throw in your own specific touch so it is CUSTOMIZED for YOU. If a "shaver" is what you really need, buy it and quit crying about the cost. If it is not what you need, don't buy it. USE YOUR OWN INVENTION.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu