About Apoxie Sculpt

Submitted by Cecil Baird on 3/14/02. ( ) 63.115.128.141

A post on the "Wanted" category regarding a gentleman who is allergic to scuplting compounds brought up a question regarding "Apoxie Sculpt" I have always had.

That is, it is said to be "non-toxic" but can't see how that could be, and I can't believe a manufacturer could be dumb enough to put that on the label with "Sue Happy" America.

What do you think?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu


Easy Cecil

This response submitted by George on 3/14/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.39

You of all people should know how the government wordsmiths work. NON-TOXIC only means that it won't kill you if you swallow it IF YOU ARE LIKE 95% OF THE GENERAL POPULATION. Didn't say you wouldn't break out in hives if you don't use some sensible skin protection. I'm sure that label meets every legal requirement of the government.


Lots of folks are allergic

This response submitted by cur on 3/14/02. ( wildart@prodigy.net ) 64.196.210.155

To urethane co-polymers. Some types are rougher on you than others. The "B" side is usually inert, the "A" side may eat your lunch. The reaction is not toxic, however and only the fumes from some products like the Imron (sp) paints can really cause problems. Urethane foams also give some people proplems, too. Chances are, if you have a reaction to one urethane, you will react to most.....


O.K. George but...

This response submitted by Cecil Baird on 3/15/02. ( ) 63.115.128.141

I get your point i.e. as in solid wood only has to be 51 percent wood to be called "solid wood." However, what did you mean by "You of all people should know how the government wordsmiths work." Did it leak out that I'm a democrat and therefore automatically a "liberal" by some people's standards here? No offense taken -- just wanted to know what you meant.

Cheers,

Cecil


Not taking the warning

This response submitted by Marshell on 3/18/02. ( mptkray@msn.com. ) 67.202.48.172

I started doing taxidermy in 1984. In 1986 I met a person that
had what he called "Sculpt All Poisoning". He said it was like
having poison ivy under his skin and nothing would stop the
itch. After working in a shop using epoxie on a lot of noses
and setting eyes without protection, I developed
"Sculpt all Poisoning". I first thought it was something else.
It got so bad that I wanted to just cut my hands off at the
wrist. It took doctors about 10 months to find out what was
causing the breakouts. I still work with epoxie but I take alot
of safeguards to protect myself. If you haven't come down
with "Sculpt all Poisoning" consider yourself lucky, your
time may be running out. Learn to protect yourself while
enjoying your work. Safety cannot be overlooked in any area.


Bad E- Mail address ?

This response submitted by richard on 3/19/02. ( ) 63.27.160.7

Marshall
I tried to e mail you but your address is invalid ? ? ?


Try clicking on address that is high lighted

This response submitted by Marshell on 3/21/02. ( mptkray@msn.com ) 67.202.16.139

Robert please leave your email address and maybe I can find out what you want. I don't know why mine won't work.


Try clicking on address that is high lighted

This response submitted by Marshell on 3/21/02. ( mptkray@msn.com ) 67.202.16.139

Robert please leave your email address and maybe I can find out what you want. I don't know why mine won't work.


Period was problem after com

This response submitted by Marshell on 3/21/02. ( mptkray@msn.com ) 67.202.16.139

I got a period after the com in my address it ok now.
I hate when that happens.............


Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu