Finger tips painful

Submitted by Old Mark on 3/20/02. ( ) 65.129.30.178

Help.. My finger tips are red, scaley and keep getting these painful little cuts for no reason. The doctor gave me some cortizone cream and told me to stop doing taxidermy. The cream didn`t work. Anyone have any advice?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Can you work with latex gloves?

This response submitted by j hermanns on 3/20/02. ( ) 148.78.247.10

If the chemicals are what's causing your hands problems, why not try some latex gloves? They may take some time getting used to, but if you really want to continue taxidermy, it might be worth a try.
Good luck, Juli

Been there done that.

This response submitted by John C on 3/20/02. ( ) 64.216.172.83

Damn those hurt, dont they! Try Neutragena, its way better than what you have.

Heres the deal, either quit or glove up, when doing any kind of work in the shop use one of the great barrier cream products. Keradex is a great one. there are others.

Now call you Doctor ask for the silver based cream thats for burns, bed sores etc. I forgot the name,but it works and should have you going in one or two days.

I got a better idea

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 3/20/02. ( ) 152.163.189.97

Find out whats causing it. Just ask Richard Christoforo what its like getting into some two part epoxy compounds, and not being able to use your hands for a year...

sore fingers

This response submitted by john yount on 3/20/02. ( jyount@centurytel ) 209.142.138.242

I think the cream that John C is talking about is Silvadeen. Is real good but costly.

Hey, Old Mark!

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 3/20/02. ( g.conley ) 63.27.103.142

How about giving me an e-mail?

Hey, Old Mark!

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 3/20/02. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 63.27.103.142

Helps if some one puts in the complete address!

Another suggestion

This response submitted by Paul Czarnecki on 3/20/02. ( tri0900@gte.net ) 67.211.72.175

Hey Old Mark, I've had excema for most of my life. Using things like 2 part modeling epoxies and even certain tanning chemicals really flares it up. I finally found something that works. After numerous visits to Dermatologists I found one that prescribed Topicort cream. Its a cortizone type cream but with steroid properties. It stops itching instantly and speeds up healing. Its prescription only so you'll have to ask for it. Don't "give up" taxidermy just because your hands are falling off. Use gloves for everything you can and keep a tube of Topicort handy....just in case.

Becareful with that Silvadine creme though!

This response submitted by Michael Rowley on 3/20/02. ( rowleyswildlifecreations@mail.com ) 151.201.215.221

Silvadine is commonly used in the treatment of second degree burns covering a large portion of the body depending on the severity of the burn, IE greater than 50% with blistering and open blistering of the skin, and most third degree burns irregardless of the percentage of the effected area. Silver nitrate was often used to treat these burns, but there was often major discoloration of the skin when used. Silvadine, which is silver sulphadine, is a sulpha based antibiotic impregnated with silver. It is used on the above types of injuries to treat open soft tissue trauma such as burns, and severe abrasions (road rash). The sulpha antibiotic helps to prevent infection, which is the second leading cause of death from these injuries, behind severe hypovelemia AKA severe systemic dehydration and or shock; while the impregnated silver prevents anything foreign from growing in the wound site such as bacterium, and viruses such herpes classifed types which thrive in areas of the body with weakened white cell and antibody capabilities. Many folks have experienced these types of conditions in the form of warts. The biggest thing to be sure of before using this product is that you do not have an allergy to sulpha based compounds. Many folks do and are not aware of it until they have taken a sulpha based drug, and then experience an anaphylactic reaction to it. Allergic reactions are a damn site worse than those painful little cuts on your fingers, and they can progress quickly to life threatening emergencies. Many doctors are reluctant to prescribe this medication to anyone without any prior evidence of compatibilty with sulpha drugs. In the cases of severe third degree burns over large portions of a persons body, the benefits of the drug outweigh the risks, and most of these patients are already on ventilators, as a result of the high doses of narcotic pain suppression and to be quite frank most wont survive anyway and trying something is better in most cases than doing nothing. My guess would be that your doctor did not precribe Silvadine for you because of the type of condition your fingers are having, it is not traumatic in nature, and the proportion of the skin surface afflicted in this case is miniscule when you do the math. Nothing personal against any of the posts here, they are all good intentioned, but the best person to ask for medical advice is your physician. As a comparisson, would you go to your doctor and ask him which type of fleshing machine he would suggest for your game head work? I wasn't even going to respond to this as I am tired of everyone being so thin skinned on here lately, and all those who are sitting at thier computer just waiting to be offended so that they can go off. I did not respond to this to designate myself the kicking post of the day. I did so because as a paramedic for over 14 years now, I have had some experience with all of these injuries as well as the treatments of such, and did not want to see anyone make the same mistakes that so many others have made, which I also have had pleasure of treating afterwards. The best advice that many of these folks have given is wear latex gloves anytime that you are in contact with anything that may make your fingers split like that. If you have an allergy to latex, they also make latex free gloves that work just as well. I wear gloves for just about everything in my shop. Gloves are much cheaper than any medical treatment or prescritions out there, and just might keep you in a position of doing something you enjoy. I hope things work out for you. If you find yourself in the need for a very durable latex glove and aren't allergic to latex, e-mail me as I have access to about the best gloves available, on the job. I would be happy to send you some to try. If you like them, I can arrange to buy you some along with my order when I place it with my employer. Good luck.

Michael Rowley!

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 3/20/02. ( ) 67.241.79.65

Excellent! Thank you.

wet socks

This response submitted by jenn hill on 11/03/2002. ( ) 172.169.241.126

My daughter has the same problem i was battleing it for 9 months until her derm told me to put wet socks on her hands at night and wrap them in plastic, after about a week her hands are completely healed.

Fed Up with the finger tips!

This response submitted by Eric 52 yrs young on 01/12/2003. ( eric.deb@gte.net ) 4.65.101.77

I too have this problem, the doctor has prescribed Fluocinonide cream as well as other topicals to no avail.
The skin on my finger tips is feeling thin, leathery, split, rough and painfull, i am getting alot of hang nails and it is east to injure them. I am wondering if this is a sign of something else as when your fingers turn purple or other colors its an internal organ going south or is it just that age is causing me to dry up.
I have used lotions, creams, gloves over nitht with lots of lotion.
It gets alittle better for a day or so then its back.
Now its affection my sex life as my wife tells me not to toutch her as my fingers feel like 20 grit sand paper. I hope to find out what the heck this is and be able to find the magic cure. PS i wear latex gloves and work gloves as much as possible, no help. Thanks for your site, now i don't feel so alone.

Fed Up with the finger tips!

This response submitted by Eric 52 yrs young on 01/12/2003. ( eric.deb@gte.net ) 4.65.101.77

I too have this problem, the doctor has prescribed Fluocinonide cream as well as other topicals to no avail.
The skin on my finger tips is feeling thin, leathery, split, rough and painfull, i am getting alot of hang nails and it is east to injure them. I am wondering if this is a sign of something else as when your fingers turn purple or other colors its an internal organ going south or is it just that age is causing me to dry up.
I have used lotions, creams, gloves over nitht with lots of lotion.
It gets alittle better for a day or so then its back.
Now its affection my sex life as my wife tells me not to toutch her as my fingers feel like 20 grit sand paper. I hope to find out what the heck this is and be able to find the magic cure. PS i wear latex gloves and work gloves as much as possible, no help. Thanks for your site, now i don't feel so alone.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu