Info on Canning Venison

Submitted by ken on 11/22/2002. ( kpl@northnet.org ) 64.19.94.176

can anyone help ? i have never canned venison before , im using qt canning jars and a regular enameled canner not a pressure canner , .how long do keep the jars in the canner for ? what do i need to put in the jars other than the meat ? any help would be very much appreciated thank you

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I am not sure, But I read an article.

This response submitted by Todd B on 11/22/2002. ( tddbuch@aol.com ) 205.188.208.165

I just read in Outdoor Life Magazine about Jim Zumbo canning meat. But it just mentioned recommendations on the canner and meats that are good to can. You may be able to go to the Outdoor Life website and e-mail him.

Todd B

Just hot pack it...

This response submitted by Raven on 11/22/2002. ( ) 24.150.167.36

Make yer venison n a pot - cut it up - season it - cook it....sterilize yer jars and sealer lids and rings in a water bath. put the cooked and HOT venison into a HOT jar, put yer lid on and put the ring on SNUG - not tight... Twist it on with just your thumb and pinky finger. Once the lid pops then crank it down...

thats all there is to it - dont need a canner... oh ya - fill to about 1/4 inch from the top - thats your head space - dont go higher than that and if you dont have enough in your last jar to fill it that high - just east it. There are ways to can it safely with only half a jar but it sounds (and I may be wrong) that you are new to this - so just enjoy sum meat and dont worry about saving half a jar =) make sure yer lids have all popped. No pop - no seal - so safety!

I wouldn't reccomend that method

This response submitted by The Taxidermologist on 11/22/2002. ( stephen.rogers@attbi.com ) 12.226.17.22

Many years back I actually worked for the USDA Meat Science Research Laboratory in Beltsville, Maryland in the Microbiology Department (Summer internship) - that combines with a College Course on Microbiology, tells me that advice give by Raven (in this case only) is incorrect. Many of the bacteria in meat, and Lord knows that there is a lot, have to either be killed by autoclaving, or by very very long-term boiling. When preparing various broths and Agars for plating bacteria to get counts and identity of meat samples, most media required autoclaving. But the occassional material could not autoclave because it would break down the chemical composition of the media - in this case, I steamed the plates/flasks for a couple hours. For those of you from Rio Linda, Autoclaving is the official scientific name for pressure cookers. In order to get the temperature above the boiling point, pressure is used to increase the temperature.

At, any rate, without pressure cooking, no guarentee can be made the no Clostridium, Stapphlococcus, Streptococcus, Eschericia, or any of the other common meat bacteria would not be present. That said though, I can my meat by method two - long term boiling, which sterilized the media, and should also sterilize the meat. (It was Grandma's Method and dates to at least 90 years back - every year the Rogers' households have canned deer, occassionaly bear, and a few times squirrel, porcupine, and coon)

Place cubed chunks of meat into clean quart or pint jars containing a bit of water. Stuff tightly until the meat is to within 1/2 inch of top. Add water and use a butter knife to get out air bubbles. Salt can be added, 1/2 teaspoon for pint, 1 teaspoon for quart (pickling salt - no iodine). Firm lids and place in a waterbath with water above the level of the top of the can. Put on a burner, and AFTER it starts boiling, start a timer, 4 hours for pints, 4.5 hours for quarts. Remove and tighten. When sealed, store in a cool dry place.

ball blue book

This response submitted by paul bunyan on 11/22/2002. ( ) 209.214.52.12

Ball Blue Book, you can find it in most stores that carry canning jars. Its all there juice, jam, pickling solutions,etc.good luck

But isn't...

This response submitted by Raven on 11/22/2002. ( ) 24.150.167.36

Isn't it true with any cooking method that those bacterium can be present if not prepared properly though? Sure the potential for bacterial growth is there with this method.. but its there for roasting, bbq'ing, frying and any other as well. If you cook venison as per stew and are ready to sit down and eat it... yer pretty gosh dang sure that the bacteria is gone right? So instead of putting that steaming gravy drenched deer meat into your serving bowl - you put it into a sterilized boiled jar.. Pray tell.. WHERE does the bacteria come from in that case? I think this is one of those overthought scientific 'could be' scenarios that logic over rides =) I was raised on this stuff too and never had a problem. All our friends up north (including onces that own a hunt camp and process venison for sum 50 successful hunters a year) never had a problem with ppl gettin sick from this method either. If someone uses this method and any bacterial growth occurs - I suspect it is due to a faulty seal.. possibly the person had not wiped the top of the jar first or had too much head space and the seal didn't pop properly? SO many variables that it could be... If unfamiliar with or are new to canning it may be a good idea to go with Stephens recommendations to be sure and use the method I listed when your confidence builds =)

Bacteria reproduce quickly

This response submitted by The Taxidermologist on 11/23/2002. ( ) 12.226.17.22

Boiling/cooking meat may kill 99.9% of the bacteria in the meat, but for long term storage you have to essentially get rid of 100%. If you read the current Ball Book, or any recent canning book, even for highly acidic canned goods (pickles, relish, tomatoes, etc.) or the highly sugared products (jams, jellies, put up fruits in syrup), the current literature STILL recommends a 5-15 minute boiling water bath AFTER the jars have been hot-packed. Pressure cookers are necessary for any non-naturally acidic product (tomatoes), those you add vinegar or other acid to (relish, pickles), or sugared products (jams etc.).

Bacteria float in the air, and a hot pack without the finishing boiling water bath is inadequate. Even pouring boiling water over your washed jars does not sterilize them. Common dangerous bacteria can not tolerate high acid or sugar, and it does not allow growth for long periods of time.

One of the early experiments that one does in Microbiology, is to simple expose a sterile petrie dish containing agar to open air for a minute, put the lid on, and then place it in an incubator. Within a couple days there will be small colonies of bacteria ALWAYS growing on the surface. Bacteria float in ordinary air, and essentially are omnipresent. A hot water pack may work for a while, but a revolver with only one bullet will work for a while also when playing russian roulette.

Seems like I explained much of this before, but I will repeat myself. Common meats sold in Grocery stores as Cooked items, still have bacteria on them, even hot dogs, which we found by buying them in the store, bringing back to the lab, and testing. Bacteria also can survive long-time freezing. A large quantity of professionally made hamburgers were placed in a freezer, and then samples were removed for bacterial tests at one day, two days, one week, two weeks, four weeks, etc. up to the full two years. Bacteria were still present in the meet IN A FREEZER.

Without very long time processing (4+ hours) in a boiling water bath, or pressure canning (Which EVERY CURRENT CANNING BOOK WILL RECOMMENDS FOR MEAT) you are risking things more than you should.

Bacteria is needed to Age meat - the usual steak you get out of a grocery store has aged anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 weeks. The bacteria was not added to the initial carcass, it was there to begin with.

pressure cooker only

This response submitted by b. bishop on 11/23/2002. ( bishops@newnorthdotnet ) 209.83.43.189

Have been doing this a long time with no problems. You can get some good info along with some good recipes from the wild game cookbooks from the fish and game library series . I think they still sell them at wallyworld. look through them to make sure the info is in there as there are 2 different ones.

Canning deer with cold pack method - family tradition

This response submitted by Lisa on 11/24/2002. ( naturesimagewildlifereference1@msn.com ) 65.178.201.136

Canned Deer Meat

Cube deer meat and put in quart jars. When jar is half full, add 1/2 tsp. salt and beef tallow. Finish filling jars and put 1/2 tsp. salt on top of and a few more pieces of beef tallow. If using a regular steamer, steam for three hours. If using a pressure cooker, cook for 90 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure. NOTE: Deer meat is great in stews, with noodles, or right out of the jar on toast. Cubed meat can be frozen for some time before canning. An average Iowa corn-fed deer will yield 20 quarts. * NOTE * For quart jars I add one beef boullion cube and a scant 1/4 c. water - for a pint jar, add 1/2 beef boullion cube and a scant 1/8 c. water make sure jars and lids are sterilized! When using the cold pack method, keep in a constant boil for 3 1/2 hours in the bath.

Canned Venison

Trim all fat from meat and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes. Pack into canning jars, leaving 1 inch of space at the top of the jar. Add 1/2 tsp salt for pints, or 1 tsp. for quarts. Add enough water to cover meat at least 1/2 inch. Pressure cook at 10 pounds for 1 1/4 hours for pints, or 1 1/2 hours for quarts.

* on my 5h batch, happy canning!

First time canning deer meat

This response submitted by Stacy Reynolds on 11/26/2002. ( chianpookie@frontiernet.net ) 170.215.144.168

This is my first time canning deer . The receipe that i was given was to cube meat fill jars to about 1inch head space , 1teaspoon salt to quart jar NO WATER for the meat makes is own broth , an pressure cook at 15lbs pressure for 50 mins. im on my first batch now we'll see how that goes Good Luck all on your hunting an canning

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu