Cape Stretcher

Submitted by Rick on 12/17/2002. ( ) 24.210.215.174

Concidering getting one. Anyone have one? Opinions? Thanks.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I used them back when....

This response submitted by Cecil Baird on 12/17/2002. ( ) 63.115.128.202

I used to do deer (I now specialize in fish). Mine consisted of homemade stretchers made of 1 by 2's spaced by wooden dowels. However, I goofed once and stretched a doe's head too. I had a hell of a time getting the head to shrink down on the form.

Stretcher

This response submitted by Dave on 12/17/2002. ( ) 206.27.36.92

I saw the one in McKenzies and made one out of a old floor jack. just took all the extra stuff off and bolted it to a table, it works really good.

I always wonder WHY?

This response submitted by George on 12/17/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.107

I use a lawnmower inner tube when I get desperate, but in my heart I know, if I measured it right and ordered the right form, it's gonna fit. A stretched hide IS going to revert back to its natural state and when it does, something bad's gonna happen. Usually it's drumming for pulling the seam, but that's just my opinion.

While we're at it

This response submitted by Doug on 12/17/2002. ( seibert@usol.com ) 64.18.236.31

I often have the problem of tight necks too, and wonder if it's the measurements taken. I know about the measurement behind the ears("C") and the measurement 3" down on the neck("D"). The measurement("B") BETWEEN those two throws me. From diagrams I see, it is a measure from under the jaw and SLANTS down the neck to the top of the atlas muscles. I see no reason for doing that...taking a slanted measurement. I buy most of the capes I use and when one is advertised as 7 x 21 I ALWAYS ask the seller where the 21" measure came from. If I buy a mannikin that's for a 7 x 21 cape(21" taken 3 " down the neck at "D"), but the cape is 21" at "B", I'm in for a really fight tit...eh? What's the use of taking the slanted neck measurement...commonly referred to as "B"?

sheeeeeeeeeeeewwww...

This response submitted by FatBack on 12/17/2002. ( ) 205.188.209.37

George you scared me...I read a lil slow sometimes and I started sweating when the first four words were "I use a lawnmower..."

I too am NOT a believer of stretching a hide for all it's worth. Because as Mr. Roof said "something bad's gonna happen."

If a hide stretcher is desired, I would think if your are literate enough to mount for money you could put together a homemade one for a fraction of the cost a catalog one. Just my opinion though!

Ho Ho Ho... FatBack

Let me clarifiy

This response submitted by Cecil on 12/17/2002. ( ) 63.115.128.202

I was stretching the cape on the stretcher while it was still green (after fleshing) and then salted it. After that everything was normal, e.g. pickle, shave, neutralize, tanning oil,etc. I ended up with less problems fitting capes to their forms. However I did not go more than one inch larger than the original neck measurement.

Stretcher?

This response submitted by migda's taxidermy on 12/17/2002. ( ljmigda@nmo.net ) 12.32.78.253

Anybody tried the cape stretcher by Noonkester? I use the same concept except I made some frames out of 1/4 inch plywood. I made some with 18-19-20 inch etc. I strech a fleshed green cape over the proper sized frame, then salt and hang overnite. It seems to work good for me as i get a nice fit on a proper size form, with just enough play in the cape to easier mount. I agree with George, dont overdo it! Trying to turn a 18 inch cape into a 20 inch cape is asking for problems.

WHY?

This response submitted by CapeFear on 12/17/2002. ( ) 66.56.152.146

I have never for the life of me been able to understand the reasoning behind ANY taxidermist stretching a cape to make a mount look bigger than it actually was to begin with. If they want a bigger necked deer, tell them to go shoot one. I give them back exactly what they brought me, nothing more, nothing less! Marc R

Stretching?

This response submitted by migda's taxidermy on 12/17/2002. ( ljmigda@nmo.net ) 12.32.78.253

Actually the frame i use should not be called a stretcher. I use a frame of the size cape im mounting, i only try to eliminate the shrinkage during the salting process before i pickle.

OH Yea

This response submitted by Elmer on 12/17/2002. ( Tops ) 205.188.209.37

I have to hone in on this one every one wants a steroid deer in their imagination he was a brute. But in reality it was a 17 1/2 at the C. Big starts gettin big at 20 1/2 at the C. I tell all my customers they get what they brought in I can't make him any bigger than he was. George and Fear hit it right make it fit when it doesn't when it is wet it won't fit when it is dry. Its like a earliner if you don't have a good fit when you test fit, no matter what glue you put on it it will drum when it drys. The hide stretcher is not the answer to not getin the right measurements and form.

Clarifying again...

This response submitted by Cecil on 12/17/2002. ( ) 63.115.128.202

My intent was the same as Midga's. I was simply trying to make it easier to fit the tanned cape on the form although I believe you can go up an inch with no harm. We all know that capes sometimes give us fits (no pun intended) from time to time even if the form is the right size.

Sure glad I don't have to do deer anymore. I felt like once I'd seen one, I'd seem the all, and I don't miss the severe poison ivy rash I would get from them. Besides, I don't have to go through that dam tanning process with fish. Lots of advantages with fish in my opinion along with more profit!

doug

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/18/2002. ( ) 152.163.188.230

The angle on that measurement is because its consistent, that is, the tape stays tight against the "chin" for both measurements. Otherwise guys would be all over the place, like that straight across measure they also show. Plus, remember that a capes neck is curved when on a deer and flat when being measured on a table...

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu