Taxidermy Home Courses

Submitted by Meg on 01/05/2004. ( fuller-and-son@earthlink.net ) 64.152.153.167

Are there any home study courses available for taxidermy? I'd prefer one that has some sort of certification available. Thanks

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I think there Is lots

This response submitted by las on 01/05/2004. ( ) 142.165.183.73

There expensive thou not like years gone by
were you could get a course for 15 bucks
now usually videos are incl..

Experience and hard work equals = SUCCESS!

This response submitted by Mr. KIM on 01/05/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.107

Nothing will, or should take the place of "hands on" experience and quality on the job training. OJT---borrowed that from the military.

Some courses are well done such as the Breakthrough publications--the reference books and related stuff.

However, experience, experience and experience is what is needed. Book knowledge and "hands on" training is the key to make many things work.

Listen to the good advice given on this forum. but you do have to "weed through" the bad advice and other tirates given from time to time. Including mine.................

MR. KIM

The videos are really a very cheap way to go.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 01/05/2004. ( taxidermist118@hotmail.com ) 66.233.157.155

Plus you do them at your own speed. WASCO sells several beginners videos. Once you get a handle on whats is going on your state taxidermy assocaition can help you with seminars. Some even do hands on seminars.

The Breakthrough series of manuals are very good text books, they will give you years of learning!

I have seldom seen a good or even mediocre taxidermist that never saw a video or opened a book. They are few, very few and very far in between.

Look through the taxidermist website links and compare what you see with your house cat or other domestic animals. The way the eyes are set, the way the eyelid meets the glass eyem the shape of the nose, the texture of the nose, even the way the ears are set and too thick.

On fish look at the humps where the head meets the body, the correct application of paint are the fins ruff and jagged looking, wild fish fin seldom are jagged looking in the water.

Fins dont stickup like the fish was just electro shocked. Jaws never break over like many do largemouth bass, is the fleshy areas rebuilt and not shriveled and wrinkles up. the body should flow on to the tail, not big bumps there.

Good luck and let me know if I can help you.

You can do it

This response submitted by Wally on 01/05/2004. ( wpttaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 216.70.5.39

Its doable but ya wont get the little tricks in like watching video,,
I agree with john cept the fish fins..Ive seen plenty of them looking raggedy while snorkleing but 99% of that is from net damage and such..
The seminars nothing beats watching a real good pro go to work..Ive been fortunate to have friends who are taxidermist..But still you have to learn to get your hands to do the work and your eyes to see and never ever figure its good enough..I pitty the person who says thiers is the best ,,theres always better just around the corner..Beside'd the minute you say your the crap the learning curve goes all to hell!...Very few really make anyything look alive.. Thats when ya know your getting close,when it looks alive. Study all the methods you can and practice practice practice

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu