Were you ever poor?

Submitted by Chuck on 01/06/2004. ( ) 24.237.108.173

I have made a point of asking successful people I have met about their background and most of them come from humble beginnings.I was razed in the 50s and 60s and we had very little.We were poor but I never knew it.My father got sick and retired when I was five.With five children we lived on $245 per month.My three brothers all have advanced degrees and I have done well my self.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Me too Chuck

This response submitted by George on 01/06/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.11

But I found out long ago that you can never be poor with your life is inriched. They never had a gun before they were 16 and never drove a tractor at all nor a car until they were that old as well. Never noticed it a lick and always felt sorry for the well heeled friends I had who didn't know about butchering live stock, or being chased by setting hen, or rat killings, or rabbit boxes, or skinny dipping in a creek with water moccasins. They never sat up all night catching bullheads off a wooden bridge or churned their own butter, and most of them weren't allowed to go to school barefoot like I was. Now talk about POOR. Those guys sure were.

I was so Poor

This response submitted by Tenbears on 01/06/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.166

I could not afford to pay attention! Seriously, I was raised on a dairy farm. In our household lived my parents, with us 5 kids. My aunt, and uncle, with my 3 cousins. My grand mother, and grandfather. and My great grand father. The entire family worked on the dairy. The males in the family worked in the barn, and fields. wile the females worked in the house. We got 1 pair of shoes every year for school. And 1 pair of boots at Christmas. We went to school with patches on our Jeans. Grandma actually darned socks when the got holes in them. when our bed sheets wore thin in the center, she would tear them down the middle, and sew the edges together. Our days started at 3 AM, and ended at 6 PM. There was no time for hanging out, and no one ever got bored.
But I would trade all I have to relive those days.

Me too

This response submitted by Richard C on 01/06/2004. ( ) 65.229.154.153

I remember holding the chickens legs while my mother choped the heads off with a big knife and they ran around the yard untill they bled out, and on Christmas day going to my cousins to play with his toys as I didn't get many. His grandfather was a connected Scilian if you know what I mean.

DON'T FORGET

This response submitted by Chip D. on 01/06/2004. ( gameskinner@yahoo.com ) 65.130.38.169

The two seater outhouse( I thought we had struck it rich when we got one, we even rigged a light bulb in there.) God bless those days and the memories.

George, I thought I was the only one who went to school barefooted
(it was a long time before my mother could ever get me to wear shoes,
and when the soles of those wore out I would stuff cigarette carton
or other cardboard in the insoles to keep form having to get rid of them,(I was proud of those suckers)

I was VERY POOR

This response submitted by Mark on 01/06/2004. ( TaxidermyReference.com ) 205.185.120.102

Then I met Linda.......oh was someone talking about money?

Never poor,

This response submitted by Jack F on 01/07/2004. ( ) 24.97.78.154

I was never poor. Growing up in what was called Shanny Town and by some is still called just that. We raised our own beef and chicken, pigs in the Village no less. Most of the houses were two rooms shacks. I did manage to get a ride to school on cold days school was only 1 1/2 miles from home LOL. I spent my summers living in a leento SPL lol picked black berrys to sell to go to the County Fair that we swam across the river to get in free. My grandparants had the last known out house in town. I was 14 and took my second paying job doing electric and plumbing helper with a local cantractor. I put inside plumbing in my grandparants house. LOL I dont think my grandmother ever use the toilet the "OLD POT WORKS JUST FINE" she used to say. Ah I'm so glad I grew up rich in life, stole that from George because that is so true. Oh yeah did anyone ever have home made head cheese and cow tongues pickled? Jack F

broke but not broken

This response submitted by Chriss on 01/07/2004. ( ) 216.150.101.207

I,m still poor. the only difference is that before I didn't care, I had a ball Huntng, fishing , and all those other thinge that made life interesting . Now I have a wife and three kids that think they need things like new shoes and school clothes. So I am thying to figure out how to change my soso shop into a very successful one. any sugestions on how to make extra money in this buisness.

Worked in the hay, cutting brush busting white oak staves

This response submitted by John C on 01/07/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

We did not have much money at age 13 I earned my own money for cloths. Churned butter (Daisy hand cranked), raised broiler chickens, milked the cows, at 13 I was driving to feed the cattle in the winter. I even had other paying jobs for my spending money. Bought 22 shells with the money from picking up pop bottles. At age 16 I was driving a feed truck after school 80 miles from Harrison to Springfield MO or Springdale AR. Most evenings I would make two runs. On weekends I busted white oak staves to cut into Jack Daniels whiskey barrels. At age 11 I bought a Bolen swivel in the middle lawn mower $800.00 1967 paid for it that summer mowing cemetaries. Bought and sold ponies, trained them to ride and pull a wagon. Had my own hogs as well as feed Grandpa's. Trapped in season and sold furs, would go check trap lines before school and during lunch.

Lived in a log house built two years before the cival war, on land homesteaded by my ancestors. My brother still lives there.

Shelled Crowder peas, snaped string beans, helped Granny can veggies, jams and jelleys.

Picked Cherries.

Night hunted to put food on the table.

Bought and sold 14 cars before I turned 16. Buy cheap clean it up and sold at a nice profit!

Worked for the next farmer in his milk barn when he need a break, I still had 4 to 10 cows we milked by hand.

When school started I would pick up a town job weekdays.

Spring came it is was time to plow, double shovel! With the old horse Son of a gun.

Cut and sold firewood. Picked up black walnuts and pecans, cut out fence rows with a axe and mattox.

When school was closed because of weather, we had fun, going and feed the cattle, we ran over 100 head of cattle at one time.

We did not have money that was liquid, but we had love! Granny had a Warm Egg Custard for me every evening when I got off the buss.

We even found time to hunt fish and trap.

Our fire place was large still is large, we built fires so hot you could not stay in the front room 14X14, the vinyal couch got so hot it would sag. Our big weekend was to go to the lake on Sunday afternoon to swim.

My Dad's Dad was the happiest man I ever met, ever knew, and he only owned one new car in his life. Never had more than $50.00 in his pocket.

He was rich, us Grandkids fought to help in his fur shed and go fishing with him. Oh how I would like to spend more time with both set of my Grandparents!

Nope we did not have much, but we worked hard for what we had!

In 1967 we got ac for granddads bedroom, we all had pallets on the floor, it was so cool.

I knew it !

This response submitted by Chuck on 01/07/2004. ( ) 24.237.108.173

If you are not given every thing you learn to look for possibilities .The skills it takes to be a good taxidermist take uncommon character.First you have to be good with your hands. You have to be able to deal with people.You have to have a lot of drive to learn a difficult skill.On Paul Harvey's "Rest of the Story" today there was
story about a well known 43 year old golfer who's body was found rotting in a hotel room.It seems he had tremendous natural talent and he could not handle success and and booze took over his life..What is worse than not having money is having no moral foundation.

YEP

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 01/07/2004. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.141.199.20

But what's toliet paper? LOL

I agree with you Chuck

This response submitted by Doug on 01/07/2004. ( ) 64.18.236.64

"If you are not given everything you learn to look for the possibilities." I would add that "necessity is the mother of invention." There is a common thread among many of us who have learned to THINK of methods/materials(or combinations thereof) that will work to solve a problem or do a job. Oh so often I read of someone on these forums asking for a solution/amswer to a question that they could FIGURE OUT for themselves. The last generations of high school students I had before I retired were the same way. My "stock answer" to most questions was "Well what do you think?" Most would get MAD and say "I don't want to think. I want you to just give me the answer!" We taxidermists encounter a variety of challenges on a daily basis in our work . Many of us use the "scientific method" and figure out what ought to work. "I think this will work. I'll try it(experiment) before I actually do it on the customer piece." Some taxidermists want the answer IMMEDIATELY from someone like George, JOhn, or Bill, and don't even want to spend time reseaching the archives. Learning "the hard way" is a source of great pride for many of us, and it is because of the way we were brought up. The previous posts are cases in point.
OH...Frank! Check the archives for what some creative minds use toilet paper for!(LOL)

I can't get past the picture of...

This response submitted by marty on 01/07/2004. ( ) 67.173.51.16

...George - naked in moccassins, EEEEEWWWW! LOL!

HAHAHAHAHA!

This response submitted by Art on 01/07/2004. ( ) 216.154.45.20

You guys kill me!

Wealth is not measured in monetary terms

This response submitted by Superpig on 01/07/2004. ( ) 198.81.26.46

at least not for me. When it comes to money I never had much. Still don't have much of that but I consider myself rich.

I love doing what I do for a living (how many people can say that?). I am my own boss and don't have to answer to anyone and that's worth a million right there.

I live on a ranch I consider heaven. I have a great guy for a man and three wonderful children. I have the horses I always wanted. I have lots of true friends who don't ask for anything in return.

Most of all I am happy.

That my account balance is sort of low doesn't bother me much. Like they alway say ,you can't buy you happiness, and for me that holds true.

not until i started taxidermy

This response submitted by Art on 01/07/2004. ( hursey1@sota-oh.com ) 209.173.158.37

I used to have a lot of money until I started taxidermy. With all of my friends wanting their mounts free, and everyone else claiming to be my friend, I am going in the hole...LOL

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu