George

Submitted by Bill on 01/02/2004. ( wildlifepreservestaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 66.250.5.14

I know (at least I THINK I remember) you posted a response concerning using an old dryer as a tumbler. Now, I'm just kind of thinking out loud here, but I don't have a 220 plug in my studio room and I really don't want to run one. I believe the 220V to run the dryer is for the heating element, the motor should be 110V, so if I disconnect/disable the heating element I SHOULD be able to remove the 220 cord and replace it with a 110? Am I WAY off base here? What do you think?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu


You are right.

This response submitted by John C on 01/02/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Do the disconnect on the heating element. Remember the color wire you clip, then put a regular grounded plug on it.


Thanks John

This response submitted by Bill on 01/02/2004. ( ) 66.250.5.14

It sounded logical to me, just wanted some reassurance, thanks again.


question on dryer-tumbler

This response submitted by migda's taxidermy on 01/02/2004. ( ljmigda@hotmail.com ) 63.174.69.230

I too am converting a gas dryer into a tumbler. I was told to simply fiberglass the holes over where the heat comes out, to keep the sawdust contained in the dryer. Does this seem right?


Wait a minute!

This response submitted by Jim on 01/02/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.107

Now, I am no electrician but you still have 220 coming down to the outlet. If you clip the element wire or disconnect it completely then you are all set. You still must use the 220 plug and outlet but you will only be drawing 110. I think this is right?


Sorry

This response submitted by Jim on 01/02/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.107

Just reread the question. John is right....ooops


Bill, please don't blame that on me

This response submitted by George on 01/02/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.166

I still think that's the worst idea any person ever thought up. It'll take you $1000 worth of time, effort, cussing and it'll still leak sawdust when you coulda bought the real thing for about $400.


LOL

This response submitted by Bill on 01/03/2004. ( ) 63.108.55.176

Ok, I thought it was you but obviously I stand corrected. You may be right on this, but I already had the dryer sitting around so I made the change and have $0.00 invested right now except 1 hour to change it to 110V. Thank you for all your input on this forum, if it were not for Superpig, John C., Tenbears, you and others I would still be fumbling around with bad habits (probably BOILING skulls) and still be frustrated at what I can (cannot) do. Thanks to the advice from all of you on MANY subjects I am more confident and, I guess more importantly, I am more patient. Thank you, ALL of you.


Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu