Dryer-tumbler question

Submitted by migda's taxidermy on 01/02/2004. ( ljmigda@hotmail.com ) 63.174.69.230

I too am converting a dryer into a tumbler. I am using a gas dryer and was told by another taxidermist to simply fiberglass over the small holes to keep the sawdust contained in the dryer. Does this sound like it will work?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Yes, but take the heat out

This response submitted by Ben on 01/02/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.134

and then you should be OK

Migda

This response submitted by George on 01/02/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.167

I truly wish the guy who'd thought that up had been taken out and shot. A dryer is a dryer and a tumbler is a tumbler. You can jury rig all you want, but when it's all said and done, you've spent more time and money in a piece of crap that's a poor excuse of the real thing you should've bought in the first place. You're STILL gonna leak sawdust, so don't be surprised when it happens.

BS

This response submitted by BOWGULL on 01/02/2004. ( ) 161.114.1.183

I use a dryer as a tumbler. I just ductaped the holes closed and set it on air when I want it to run. If its a gas dryer..just don't hook up the gas and no way are you going to get any heat. Ive done both gas and electric dryers. You will leak a little sawdust but who cares what other stuff is on your shop floor? Normal cleaning of shop will take care of anyproblems. $50 bucks for an old dryer vrs a few hundred for a drum and the end result is the same.

BS is right

This response submitted by George on 01/02/2004. ( ) 205.188.208.74

Cause all you still have is a junk dryer setting in your shop looking like a rednecks front yard. That "little" leakage of sawdust isn't from aesthetics, it's actual money being spilled on the floor. Over time it'll cost you several bags of sawdust, and the stuff I use ain't exactly free. Tough to LOOK professional when you're too cheap to use professional equipment.

BS is right

This response submitted by George on 01/02/2004. ( ) 205.188.208.74

Cause all you still have is a junk dryer setting in your shop looking like a rednecks front yard. That "little" leakage of sawdust isn't from aesthetics, it's actual money being spilled on the floor. Over time it'll cost you several bags of sawdust, and the stuff I use ain't exactly free. Tough to LOOK professional when you're too cheap to use professional equipment.

Yes a dryer will work fine, duct tape the holes.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 01/02/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

ANy spillage of sawdust can be sweep up and tossed back in the dryer/tumbler. There is not any need to remove the heating burner or element, just disconnect it. YOu can wire around the relay and still use the start button.

Now George, I know some darn good taxidermist that have used dryer/tumblers for 40 odd years. The roller for a dryer are normally replacable for less than $15.00. the belt another $15.00.

Hum simple math says its a two hour job to convert the dryer.
$50.00 labor
$25.00 dryer/tumbler
$30.00 parts.
$30.00 for parts you screwed up learning how to convert the dryer
$135.00 total cost for tumbler that works as good as my $850.00 tumbler.

Thats a $715.00 savings, my commercial made taxidermy tumbler still leakks sawdust I still sweep it up!

$715.00 not counting shipping. George even you cannot argee with those figures and depending on your dryer the cost can be considerably less for the dryer/tumbler.

YOU MAY EVEN BE ABLE TO SAVE ANOTHER $75.00 if the dryer is free and you dont need any parts.

a savings of

$795.00 hum thats a good chunk of change, I can go to the NTA SHow for that!

LOL JC

This response submitted by George on 01/03/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.134

OK, but just this once. I didn't spend nearly that much on my Van Dykes tumbler and I'm going on nearly 30 years without ever spending a dime on it (except the electricity of course). It fits right under my work table and the removable drum is ideal for birds of all sizes. I DO have a washing machine already in the shop for spin drying hides and bigger birds and if I had used a dryer, someone would have confused me with being a housewife I suppose. You know, it's easy. LOL

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu