BSE and CDW?

Submitted by JOhn C on 01/03/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

These illnesses look almost the same, even to many of the researchers. Symptoms as well as other things.

If BSE is caused from feeding cattle other cattle parts.

How did it make the jump to cervids?

Does anyone know of websites comparing the two?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Here is the information John!

This response submitted by Mr. KIM on 01/03/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.11

For what it is worth, here is a starting point. Go from there!

http://rense.com/health/CJD-CWD-BSE.htm

well yes

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/03/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.11

They are of course the same thing, TSEs, transmissable spongiform encephalapathies...only one is bovine and the other is cervid. They are known to be very species-specific, thus the seperate types. KJD is the human form.

The Wisconsin DNR website...

This response submitted by marty on 01/04/2004. ( ) 67.173.51.16

Has a lot of info on CWD. And btw, I have to commend them for having the Kahunas to aggressively research and approach the "problem". (Versus most other states would prefer to stick their heads in the sand and pretend that it's not there.)

If I'm not mistaken, there are slight variances in all of the forms of Spongiform Encephalapathies. But in general, they are caused by Prions and are indeed basically the same thing - just species specific as Bill stated.

But, as we can all see, Mad Cow has INDEED crossed the species barrier into humans. Will CWD? It's possible. But, who knows? Only time will tell.

Who knows where it all started? Imho, I don't think it crossed from cows, I think they derived from two separate original sources. Where? Who knows? We'll probably never know...

facts are getting confused

This response submitted by Bill yox on 01/04/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.107

When I say species specific Im not talking about consuming known tissues to contract it, etc. Also, Wisconsin having the kahunas to address this? You gotta be kidding me! Wisconsin as a state agency is the laughing stock of all CWD topics! Anyway, theres way too much going on in this issue for me to even get started. Plus, half the time I need reference in-hand to speak intelligently and accurately so I think Ill steer clear of this topic in this forum! Thats just a personal preference and not meant to suggest others follow my lead...lol!

Yer high Bill!

This response submitted by marty on 01/04/2004. ( ) 67.173.51.16

No offense of course - lol!

First off, the "problem" of CWD is divided probably 50/50 with people (probably like you and several friends of mine) that don't see any big deal with CWD. Then you've got people (like myself) that are "concerned" on up to the point where some have given up deer hunting. So it's a hot topic to begin with. With a lot of uncertainty for sure. That, I'm sure we will agree upon.

Check the Wisconsin DNR's website sometime. I've only hunted in a few states but as far as a tight run, well organized, well informed entity goes, their DNR is light years ahead of (Illinois' DNR for instance) in just about every aspect. They've taken a proactive, unpopular approach to the problem that clearly has had an economic impact on them. And the data they are gathering is unmatched anywhere and will most likely be useful in controlling or eliminating CWD in the future.

Compared to most (all?) other states out there that would rather stick their head in the sand and NOT KNOW whether CWD is in their state and/or to what extent it has spread. Illinois for instance has "token tested" so few deer that statistically there is absolutely no accuracy in their testing. The data is pretty much useless in determining the extent of the problem or from a "learning about CWD" standpoint.

And I don't care where the funding comes from - (state runned). These people working on the problem are concerned and they're doing their jobs. I don't understand how they could be the "laughing stock of all CWD topics". I've heard quite the opposite. In fact, you're the first that I've ever heard say that. So, please enlighten me on that one.

Bill, I'm certainly open to learning more about the subject if you've got some information that I do not have. As I do hunt in a CWD infected area and I am concerned. Email me at your leisure if you don't have the time or don't wish to post here...

Marty, I'M high?

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/04/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.107

Of course, Marty, no offense was taken. Perhaps you ought to remember that I make part of my meager living raising whitetails, and the other part mounting whitetails. Im acutely aware of whats going on with CWD, on a daily basis. We could go on and on about the prion theory, spiroplasma theory or the maganese replacement for copper deficiency argument, for starters. Ask Tom Powell at McKenzie Sports Products about it. Give Rich Forrest a call out in Colorado and ask him if I have heard of CWD. Better yet, call Gary Nelson out in Wild River Wisconsin. Hes the president of WOW, Whitetails of Wisconsin.

I was just messin with ya Bill...

This response submitted by marty on 01/05/2004. ( ) 67.173.51.16

...with my initial sarcastic comment.

We've exchanged a few emails through the years. I'm very aware of how you make your living.

And, I'm certainly not stating that I know everything about CWD. I think you may have mentioned something along these lines in the past, but didn't want to post your opinions. It sounded to me like you had some vested interest in NOT posting your opinions? Either way, now you've peeked my interest and you need to clarify things if you would please. Email me when you get a chance (fishspecialties at yahoo)...

marty, marty

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/05/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.107

Like I said, I didnt take offense to what you said, not did I find it sarcastic. Nooo problem. What I said was, this CWD stuff is so involved, and to me, so volatile, that I just dont wanna get going on it here in the forums. Heck, I just dont wanna get into it at all, lol!

marty, marty

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/05/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.107

Like I said, I didnt take offense to what you said, not did I find it sarcastic. Nooo problem. What I said was, this CWD stuff is so involved, and to me, so volatile, that I just dont wanna get going on it here in the forums. Heck, I just dont wanna get into it at all, lol!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu