Anyone undergone township zoning?

Submitted by Sandy on 01/08/2004. ( sandals@dandy.net ) 209.158.66.2

I was hoping anyone who has been though their township planning board can tell me what to expect? What type of questions do they ask? I applied severeal months ago (for variance)...spoke to the head of the zoning commission. He told me he had no problem whatsoever with me doing taxidermy part time from my location (home)..PROVIDED... I go through the planning board. Anyhow, they have been farting around for months now, but I finally received a phone call. I need to turn over a large chunk of change $$$...and it resumes from there on.
I was just curious as to what they stress upon..?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

tough call

This response submitted by Perry on 01/08/2004. ( Not the Mckenzie one ) 128.118.40.77

It's hard to say. It really depends on how well the board is educated
with your kind of business. In my case they new little about taxidermy.
the person who had a hearing before me was opening a beauty shop. They
hammered her pretty good on how she was going to dispose of the chemicals
that she used for perms, coloring etc. along with sign sizes, parking
and such. I sat their thinking of how I would answer those question.
when I came to me, they asked me if I was going to have a sign, how
big it was, and one or two other questions, nothing about
carcass or chemical disposal. Go figure. I would watch your local
paper for the next hearings( they are open to the public) and get
a feel for what they ask.

County Zoning

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 01/08/2004. ( ) 155.76.241.129

Sandy, I had to go before the county board on my zoning request to operate a business out of my home. As part of that process, a notice is sent to my neighbors with 1 mile. They can comment for or against the zoning. Parking, traffic, and signage were issues with the board. They also asked about disposal of parts. Since we own 600 acres, I said that I would be disposing of the parts on my property in the same way that I dispose of my bones from the deer our family shoots. They really didn't have any objections and issued the re-zoning. If you have a couple of anti's in your neighborhood, that could cause some snags though.

Bruce

Sandy

This response submitted by The Rookie on 01/09/2004. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 64.12.96.106

Went through it this summer. My board sent out notices of the hearing to all people within 300 yards of my property(33),put an ad in the paper, and announced it on the radio. And I had to pay for the letters and the newspaper ad. Their main questions were- 1) Would I disturb the natural appearance of the neighborhood 2)How big of a space would my "small business" be taking up 3)How would I be disposing of the "leftovers"(neighbors worry about smells) 4) Where would people be parking.
Thats how mine went. I had it all thought over well ahead of time and passed with flying colors. If you're doing the right thing it shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't hurt to explain to them how you're offering a quality addition to the community either. Good Luck- Jeff F.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu