Smithsonian Mammal Hall

Submitted by Ken R. Walker on 01/08/2004. ( walkerfm@telusplanet.net ) 161.184.204.83

As some of you may know the new mammal hall at the Smithsonian is now open.This exhibit features the work of alot of well known taxidermists including Jean Roll,Darryn Flynn,Jan VanHoesen,Colin Cambell,Just to name a few.The official website has a cool little feature on the orangutan mount.After Paul Rhymer and myself made the form,John Matthews mounted it.I considered the skin to be literaly unmountable,because it was pickled in formalin prior to mounting.John worked that hide for days until it went where it was supposed to!It was nothing short of miraculous.Check it out at http://www.mnh.si.edu/ .

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Almost makes me homesick

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 01/08/2004. ( myers.ark@direcway.com ) 66.82.9.19

Lived in No. VA from 1970-1980. Spent hours at the Smithsonian. Always thought the elephant and tiger were sooo neat! The tiger was actually my favorite! (This was long before I actually started doing taxidermy myself.)

Thanks for the link! Thoroughly enjoyed it! Incredible work!

smithsonian

This response submitted by Jay on 01/08/2004. ( ) 209.102.133.85

great post ken.i saw a full page in the washington post about this and was sorry to see that neither you or collin campbell were mentioned however john matthews told me of yor great work and iknow how little you two were paid doing GOVT. work i would like to thank you for raising the quality,along with john matthews of this great institution.now someone needs to do some habitat work and get these animals off cocrete floors.i know these decisions com from above and probably from those that know little if anything about the decisions they make.

http://www.mnh.si.edu/museum/news/taxidermy/

This response submitted by The Rookie on 01/09/2004. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 64.12.96.107

The first link didn't work for me so I found it through this one. Good work guys! Jeff F.

Just tried the first

This response submitted by The Rookie on 01/09/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.107

link again and it worked. Oh well, guess I posted the short cut. Jeff F.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu