Suppliers Convention

Submitted by wondering on 01/08/2004. ( ) 66.191.85.46

Has anyone heard about the "Suppliers Convention" that is going to be held in Louisville KY. Some of the suppliers have talked about it but the general public knows nothing about it. So what's up. Where's the info and what is it all about.
taxidermist

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Yes

This response submitted by George on 01/09/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.165

It amounts to one mans quest to monopolize the taxidermy industry and shows with the intent to eliminate the IGT and NTA during the process while taking the spotlight from the World Show. Fliers were being passed out at last years NTA show until the gentleman was asked to leave the premises. His intentions are to have all the suppliers there along with seminars conducted by the worlds best taxidermists. As I don't fit in any of those circles, someone else will need to fill you in. Let me know how it was if you go.

He's got his work cut out.

This response submitted by John C on 01/09/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

With the WTC and Larry's experience running it, well its just a great show and many of us are planning on being there! I know I am!

I could be wrong, I dont think any new big show will take off.

Hey thought this is a free society and they man is able to put togather a show invest his money! I also dont think the guy has done as much for taxidermy as he thinks.

If its the same person I was approached by he better walk the other way, and save his little fortune, but hell go for it.

Thats America, maybe he has Hindi money backing him.

Hmm, that's strange.

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 01/09/2004. ( ) 24.50.252.84

I thought in America if we want to start a club, business, or convention for that matter we were free to do it. That this man was "thrown out" of the convention is a insult. Yes, the WTC is great, but it too is ONLY A MONEY MAKING VENTURE. Why is it OK to promote it at the NTA but not this man's "new" venture? I assume he was either a member if he was at the show wasn't he? This is very interesting.

Jim, are you trying to be a piece of work or what?

This response submitted by George on 01/09/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.10

NO, he wasn't a member. We grant many people media passes and distinguished visitors passes. This individual "borrowed" one of them and gained access that way.

And TWO, this IS America and Americans are constitutionally provided with the freedom to gather. Like minded Americans sometimes gather in private venues that are offered to them for an entry fee. As a by-product, commercial vendors reward visitors with "show discounts" but only to PAID ENTRANTS. This individual fit NONE of those distinctions.

Not one word close to being "Thrown out" was ever used by me in my reponse. He was ASKED to leave or security personnel would be called, and he did so. Your entire line is insulting to me and I consider it worthy of an apology from you. I guess you see no problem with the NTA, the IGT or the WTC looking the other way when a PeTA, HSUS, or ALF member wants to come in and pass out literature? At least, give me one good reason I shouldn't take what you said as an insult to me and the NTA?

Being asked to leave the premises

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 01/09/2004. ( ) 24.50.252.84

or we will call security is the same as "thrown out" to me. In fact that is how you always do throw people out. I have "thrown out" people here at our show the same way. They, however had no "pass" etc. You never said he wasn't a member. I have been to the NTA several times as well as the IGT and WTC. I never saw anybody without a name tag. I assumed he was a member or a supplier. If that is the case he would be , IMO, free to hand out his literature. If he was not a member or supplier I assume he would be "thrown out" regardless of what he was doing. If you had said

" he wasn't a member. We grant many people media passes and distinguished visitors passes. This individual "borrowed" one of them and gained access that way.

in the first thread I wouldn't have bothered to post. You made it sound like you "asked him to leave" because he had decided to start his own show.

No disrespect George.

This response submitted by Todd B on 01/09/2004. ( ) 171.75.110.120

But do you really know anything about the quest? Did you give the man a chance to explain what he wants to do? you mention it is one mans quest to monopolize the industry, But I am not sure you know all of the facts about this. There is no intention of taking any spotlight from the World Show or any organization. I know for a fact The NTA, WTC and the IGT were all asked about this show. I am not in the position to explain the details but I do know it sounds like it can work. I am sure the information will be out soon. Give it a listen and judge for yourselves.

Todd B

Todd, you'd better get YOUR facts straight

This response submitted by George on 01/10/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.10

The NTA wasn't "asked" to do anything. We received a letter from their lawyer stating (and I'm paraphrasing) that we COULD become a part of it, but since we were a failing organization, our participation wasn't needed anyway and that we'd soon be defunct so it wouldn't matter. I can't tell you what the IGT received, but I'm assuming it was in a similar vein. I also KNOW what the proposal to the WTC looked like as I've read it and I'm not going into it because that was none of my business. Larry addressed it in his own right.

And Jim, I've concluded you ARE a piece of work. The NTA has asked many people over the years to cease and desist or leave the show. In a recent show, we had one of our vendors handing out catalogs from a supply company that's persona non grata to most of us. We have an established set of standards we uphold at our shows. If you want to picket, go outside. That's America. But if what we perceive AS A GROUP is not synonomous with our guidelines, we ask them to leave it outside our confines. ANYONE can pre-register as an individual or even pay for registration at the door and be supplied with a name tag. That doesn't give them license to come inside and yell "FIRE" or to pander products counterproductive to the way we do business. The current board of directors is working very hard to make our organization the bellwether of the industry. We're family oriented and, most times, we aren't politically correct. It's OUR show and as OUR show, we (as a group)determine what is and is not in our best interests. Questionable ones remain until they're proven to be one or the other. But when they prove NOT in the best interest of our charter or our organization, we'll ask them to leave (or if you prefer, "throw them out"). In my America, PRIVATE organizations are allowed to do that.

George

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/10/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.165

I have a bit different angle than you on the story regarding Stefan. Feel free to butt heads with Jim, but on the subject of this proposed show, you only have part of the story, my friend. Im not sure its going to fly as planned either, but Im not ready to dump on it as you have.

Bill, are we on the same page?

This response submitted by George on 01/10/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.10

I don't know anything about Stefan, but nothing I've said is hearsay. I have been actively involved in this one by the prime parties discussed. Now whatever you've been fed it another matter completely. I've intentionally omitted names and didn't quote exact statements for a reason. I really don't care if it succeeds or not as I've no vested interest either way other than the letters I've been made privy to. This really isn't anything new. This has been festering for years and likely will continue to do so. I just don't see a whole lot of people traveling to Louisville Kentucky each year so they can visit suppliers. I drove 14 hours one way to get there for our convention and I wouldn't want to think of having to tow a trailer just for discounts that I'd spend in gas costs.

evidently we are not

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/11/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.106

...on the same page. This proposal began this past year, too. Part of your take sounds like what Im talking about, though...

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu