Crows

Submitted by Jim on 01/09/2004. ( ) 69.40.142.206

ASre the legal to be sold? Just curious, we are going to go on a crow hunt and figure if they could be sold that would at least pay for the shells. If not oh well

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

No.

This response submitted by Taxidermy kid on 01/09/2004. ( - ) 204.169.23.246

NO, they are fed. protect. THey cant be sold, but they can be shot and mounted.

The kid is right

This response submitted by Tenbears on 01/09/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.134

Crows are Migratory birds. And as such fall under the migratory bird Treaty. They or any part thereof cannot be sold, traded, or bartered. Enjoy the hunt and write your shells off as entertainment

BUT

This response submitted by las on 01/09/2004. ( ) 142.165.183.53

What If you were to raise your own pidgeons
then they could be mounted and sold RIght?

Pigeons Aren't

This response submitted by Coyote on 01/09/2004. ( ) 69.14.140.92

On the migratory bird list. Most pigeons are considered pest. Yes they can be sold if you raise them or go out and shoot them.

Coyote

Thanks Guys

This response submitted by Jim on 01/09/2004. ( ) 69.40.142.206

So I can Gift them if someone would want crows correct

I've contacted...

This response submitted by Raven on 01/09/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

I've contacted teh USFWS and CWS and neither of those federal governing bodies have heard of gifting. In short it would seem that gifting is a scheme concocted by people trying to find a way around the law. You cannot be in posession of a migratory bird, egg, nest or any part there of. This means if you see a feather laying on the ground you legally must LEAVE IT THERE. You canot transport or cause it to be transported by any means, meaning that you can't pick up a dead bird you find and bring it to a university to donate it. You can tell them where to find it themselves then a person with a proper permit can go recover it. As for migratory game birds, the only people allowed to be in posession of them are the hunter who took the bird or the federally licensed taxidermist mounting them. Captive bred birds of migratory nature msut have all proper documentation. Captive birds of a non migratory nature have various laws affecting them at more local levels - state or provincial etc.

raven

This response submitted by wilson on 01/09/2004. ( ) 198.81.26.46

We all know most of the people that work at the USFWS and CWS
are just young boobs that just got out of school.
If you read the laws and the booklets that they put out ;it say writ there in black and white you may gift -give any legal taken bird to another with like-like license.

Straight from the govt' website:

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 01/09/2004. ( ) 67.27.42.230

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 50, Volume 1]
[Revised as of October 1, 2001]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 50CFR20.40]

[Page 941]

TITLE 50--WILDLIFE AND FISHERIES

CHAPTER I--UNITED STATES FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF THE
INTERIOR

PART 20--MIGRATORY BIRD HUNTING--Table of Contents

Subpart D--Possession

Sec. 20.40 Gift of migratory game birds.

No person may receive, possess, or give to another, any freshly
killed migratory game birds as a gift, except at the personal abodes of
the donor or donee, unless such birds have a tag attached, signed by the
hunter who took the birds, stating such hunter's address, the total
number and species of birds and the date such birds were taken.

[42 FR 39668, Aug. 5, 1977]

Go Nancy!

This response submitted by Raven on 01/10/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Nancy needs to work for the feds! Woohoo! Now I can call them up and go off on that idiot twit I was talkin to about it - muahaha! He was rude too - I was trying to explain it to him and he kept getting snippy with me about how theres no such thing... now I have ammo to go back for a second round ;) Yup Wilson yer right - it's on their own website and their ppl on the phones are saying no such thing exists.. ugh.. whats the point in having them there if they don't know the answers?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu