Is this normal for freeze drying?

Submitted by The Rookie on 01/13/2004. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 152.163.253.7

I just got in a couple of freeze dried perch i ordered from Dan Rinehart and the fish were in zip-loc baggies with crumpled paper packing around them. Only problem is, as tender as the unprotected fins are, there was some damage to a couple of the fins. When I talked to Dan about it he said that that was why he suggested the finished fish that are painted and clear coated. I didn't want those because I wanted to add my own touch for a competition piece. It seems to me that more would go into protecting the delicate fins on a such a specimen. Am I asking to much or is this normal for the freeze dry industry? Dan was good enough to give me fish in the size range I wanted,very friendly, and provided prompt service. So overall I'm happy but just wondered if this was normal. Thanks- Jeff F.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

maybe asking a bit much...but

This response submitted by adams on 01/13/2004. ( ) 208.4.5.74

I get my painted and clear coated freeze dried fish from Anthony Eddy and they come wrapped in bubble wrap. They look good enough that I would not even consider doing my own painting. If your good enough to "add your own personal touch" you really shouldn't have a problem fixing a bit of fin damage should you? That being said, you should generally expect that if someone is sending you something, they should package it to prevent damage under at the least "normal shipping and handling" processes.

False promotion? Do your OWN work! OK?

This response submitted by George on 01/13/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.42

So, as the facts come out, many people really DO NOT DO THEIR OWN WORK. AND THESE SAME PEOPLE WANT TO ENTER A COMPETITION WITH THE WORK AND LABOR OF ANOTHER!--?

You people that do this are "real" taxidermist or plain liars?
what give with this false promotion?

George

So George

This response submitted by The Rookie on 01/13/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.135

Are you saying it's wrong to use a freeze dried specimen as part of your habitat? At least I'm trying to do the right thing and piant and set eyes on my own. I don't think many people take the time to mount 5" perch. And Adams, of coarse I can fix fins. That wasn't my point. I paid for a product. I don't think it's to much to ask for it to come undamaged. Truth- Jeff F.

Question for George

This response submitted by terry v on 01/13/2004. ( search @ orange button ) 216.120.182.158

Because he didn't freeze-dry the fish but wants to paint it and enter a competition with it, he's a liar? George, are the guys that buy a replica fish and paint it and enter a competition also liars? How about the people who use freeze-dry turkey heads? Do we stop there, or go on to the replica duck heads, ear liners, manikins, or a thousand other parts and paints made by someone other then the taxidermist entering the compition with "His/Hers" mount.

Jeff, I would expect a fish back without the broken fins....

Jeff, that's the OTHER George, not me

This response submitted by George on 01/13/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.135

I always post an email address after my first entry on a thread. Now THIS George probably doesn't have a clue that in a competition setting, the "entrant" enters the specific species that he wants judged and the rest is assumed to be non-existent. Freeze dried fish, animal, or plants used to support a diorama may cause deductions to the overall score of a piece simply because they distract from the piece's beauty, but will never be judged by themselves unless specified. All entrants sign the entry piece certifying that the work was done by themselves.

Of course, there will always be some who will lie about it. Just like the ones who claim they've never told a lie or were speeding in excess of posted speed limits. Some of them get through, but if someone can claim a ribbon for work he or she hasn't done, then they have to live with that. I guess it's like owning the Jordan Buck. The guy who owns it never shot it, but he has his name stuck in print. I wouldn't want that, but I'm not that "someone" either.

<><> RINEHART<><>

This response submitted by EARL on 01/13/2004. ( ANT / TAX ) 68.82.185.179

Simple solution,I want my money refunded or another order."NOW" This time pack them right (Don't be so stupid)..To many sellers think that once the money is in thier hands and the shipment is sent ,it's over.."FIGHT TILL IT'S RIGHT" Just my way of thinking....I once ordered a couple small leaping frogs, are you ready , they were sent in a bubble wrap envelope."Give me a break" Then they wanted to make a UPS claim.....Earl

I get them all the time

This response submitted by Tenbears on 01/14/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.135

I get my freeze dried fish from Harley At Edgewater Taxidermy. hdg@uslink.net I have never had one that I was not satisfied with. They have always come packed well and never a broken fin. Guess it is all in the care you take in packaging.

Thanks for the input

This response submitted by The Rookie on 01/14/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.135

All things considered, I'm happy with the transaction but could have been happier. $26 buys a few supplies on my limited budget and this is just a competition piece.(no money being made) And Tenbears, I'll give Harley a call and check out his stuff,Thanx. Jeff F.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu