customer woes

Submitted by possumking on 01/10/2004. ( ) 67.200.12.119

Just had a very pain in the rear customer leave. Thank goodness. When I started I didnt charge very much for mounts. Now I have raised my prices for the quality I am putting out but an still cheaper than most around my area. So I did some work for this guy last year. Turns out he is the type that calls every month even though I told him the time frame I was working within. Then he shows up just to see his mounts dosent have the money for them. Finally I get his stuff done and hope to never see him again. But like an ex-wife I cant get rid of him! He shows up today and I tell him of my price incease. He goes on to tell me that another guy only charges $50 more and has been doing it a lot longer than me and he keeps rolling his eyes when he asks me of different prices. Finally I tell him to pay it or go elsewhere. If he brings something over I am thinking of telling him to take his business elsewhere. How many of you have turned down work knowing what kind of headaches you are in for? What I jerk! Sorry just venting a little.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

If he shows up again, go up another 50%

This response submitted by John C on 01/10/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Tell him years donot equal good quality in all cases.

Then you can get his crap done and out the door! Before a few others.

Tell him to take it to the other guy

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 01/10/2004. ( myers.ark@direcway.com ) 66.82.9.11

If you don't, be sure he puts 50% down before you even start on his job. Give him so many days to pick up the mount after completion. Have all this on some type of contract and have him sign it. It might not hurt to put up one of those signs that says something to the effect of: "$25/hr. labor. If you watch, $50/hr. labor. $100 charge for each phone call asking if it's done yet." Maybe he'll get the idea. I heard of a gunsmith that told people he'd contact them when the work was ready. If you called the guy just to see if it was done yet, and he hadn't started on it, he'd send it back to you. Don't know if this is a true story or not, but it sounds good.

Tell him to Take

This response submitted by Coyote on 01/10/2004. ( coyote@wideopenwest.com ) 69.14.140.92

A flying leap in a dry lake. Prices go up all the time, Utilities, Taxes, Gas, Food, Everything. Tell the guy if he doesn't like the prices you charge, to take his mounts down the road next time. 9 out of 10 times he'll be back. He must have been satisified with what he saw in your shop for you to do the mount in the first place. Just take it with a grain of salt, and don't lose no sleep over him.

Coyote

You Asked For It

This response submitted by Old Fart on 01/10/2004. ( ) 64.122.57.79

By being a "cheap" taxidermist, you asked for this kind of customer. Until you raise your prices to where they should be, this is what you get. Get used to it, because it won't change until you change you aditude toward what you are doing. You won't get any sympathy from me!

Pain in the ...

This response submitted by TW on 01/10/2004. ( ) 216.100.39.110

If the guy persists on bothering you, simply, and very politely, ask him to leave because you don't need his business. It really is that simple. You don't need the extra stress of discussing your prices more than once. Have your prices posted and stick with them....regardless if you are "cheap" or not. Where I live if you charged under $575 for deer head mount you would be called a cheap taxidermist. In parts of southern Oregon $325 is a fair price....BUT, if you are good, and you keep your customers happy, stay on the higher end of the scale and you will more than likely rid yourself of these characters....It is your good reputation that counts and that comes with not being a jerk, for one.

Some People

This response submitted by Tenbears on 01/11/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.167

Are just Pains. I know plenty of people who can well afford the top prices, still they try to weasel a discount. I am the second highest taxidermist in a 50 Mile radius. The highest is a part timer that only wants s few deer a year. And I still get those guys. seems the ones that think they have some sort of relationship with me are the worst. I hate customers that call once a month just to see how their mount is coming. Its a pain to run to the sink, wash your hands quickly run to the phone to answer it only to find out it is the same guy that called two weeks ago to see how his mount is coming.

I have a big sign in my shop right by the counter that states.

We appreciate our customers. And encourage your input into the mounting of your animal. However we cannot spend vast amounts of time talking on the phone. we serve in excess of 300 customers annually answering the phone takes time from our busy schedule and slows the return time for everyone's mount. All mounts are done in the order the deposit is received frequent callers will be moved down the order one position per call in order to be fair to other customers. We will call upon completion of your mount.

Now if someone calls to change the color felt on their rug, or the pose on their deer. I would never think of moving them down the line. But since I posted this in the shop. I get few of the How's my deer coming? Calls

TenBears...

This response submitted by Hoop on 01/11/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.13

you are only a few miles from me. What are you charging? That will give me an idea of what to charge next year. LOL I plan to drop in on you and jerk your chain a little, as "how much will you charge me for a life size grizzly mount?" Anyway, I'll bring the coffe and the donuts.

OR TRY THIS !

This response submitted by Rick,T on 01/11/2004. ( ) 12.159.204.63

Tell him if he thinks your price is high and it should be done sooner, why then have him advance you the money for supplys then have him come in and give the supplys To him and tell him to mount it up himself.......THAT SEEMS TO SHUT THEM UP QUICK!

Hell with the coffee

This response submitted by Tenbears on 01/11/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.167

Bring your fleshing Knife, we can work wile we talk. LMAO

See ya soon...

This response submitted by Hoop on 01/11/2004. ( ) 24.166.99.164

I must admit, I don't need the donuts anyway, but those Krispy Kreme donuts are good!

How about this

This response submitted by ! on 01/12/2004. ( ) 165.234.185.181

I had a guy bring in a few heads. Partway through the job he decides he'd like to do the work 'learn' himself and asks if he could just buy the supplies (forms, eyes, earliners, etc.) from me since I now had them on hand for his mounts. Even wanted me to teach him how!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu