paying commissions

Submitted by Michael on 01/13/2004. ( ) 166.102.82.196

I was wondering if some of you folks have deals with sporting good stores ect for sending you bussiness. Do you let them take the specimum or let them send the costomer to? What's a fair price to pay for commissions?
Thanks Michael

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Once bitten, twice shy

This response submitted by George on 01/13/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.167

Don't prostitute yourself. If the shop owner is a friend AND A CUSTOMER, let him use some of your stuff for decorations. If not, beware. This type deal never seems to work out like you'd imagine. The shop owner wants a cut or expects his work to be done gratis. All you get is more work and less profit. If your work is good, people will come and they'll pay you what you ask. If the shop is a classy place, that guy will likely have customers who'll be willing to display their stuff there or he'll have his OWN work on display. Recently I had a local gun shop call and asked if I'd display my work in his shop. He stated he could use a dozen or so fish, preferably the marlins and sharks, maybe one or two deer, but what he really wanted was an elk, a moose, a bighorn sheep, and possibly a mountain lion. I laughed and told him I wasn't interested. He got snotty and said he'd send his customers to someone else then. I asked him if he needed their phone numbers.

ZERO $$

This response submitted by b bishop on 01/13/2004. ( ) 65.73.67.219

it's the fairest commision you should ever pay . Do as George says and they will respect you in the end and you wont need to spend all kinds of money for headache pills or blood pressure pills for that matter.

Ditto!

This response submitted by John C on 01/13/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Back in the day I had over 40 boat-docks in four states picking up fish for me. Most got a deposit at time their client dropped the fish off.

One frozen fish was lost before I picked it up. Well low and behold they dock blamed it on me. I never saw the fish, never inventoried the fish, but it was still my fault according to the owner.

Investigation provided the male dock owner had sent it to another taxidermist who did cheaper work. He could then double the price and charge his customers more than I was charging.

Offer them items to display, but thats it, if they dont send you enough work to cover the value of the mounts, pick them up!

Diaplay

This response submitted by Tenbears on 01/14/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.134

I have mounts on display in a few shops. One is a very good friend. I simply have decorated his shop with some very attractive mounts. I change them out about twice a year. this gives people a different perspective of my work. Wile at the same time gives them some incentive to stop by his shop to see what is new. he recommends me to many people each year. I have one store out in the toolies. Again the guy is a close friend. He checks the deer in. takes the customer info. skins the head (does not turn) saws off the antlers. and Tags. For this I do pay him. Because he invests his time. My standard shoulder mount is $350.00 I give him $20.00. When I go to pick the heads up he gives me a 50% deposit. and when I drop them off he pays me in full. Now for all I know he is charging the customers $400.00 or maybe more. But I am getting my price for the mount. And I have never had a customer problem with any one that has gone through him. So he either deals with that. or they all have been satisfyed. I figure the 20.00 I pay for skinning, paperwork, and sales promotion is worth it. But remember he is a long time friend, that I have known most of my life.

no cash, only credit

This response submitted by gill on 01/14/2004. ( ) 216.228.39.110

I have an outfitter that brought me $18,000. worth of work. I say thank you by doing work for him for 10% commision. He gets $1800. free work. Im happy to do it.
Dan Gill

Thanks

This response submitted by Michael on 01/14/2004. ( ) 166.102.83.1

Thanks for the info. That's kinda what i was afraid of. I'm allready running 10 months behind. So I dont really need the work for less money.
Thanks
Michael

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu