Looking for a taxidermist to teach me

Submitted by Garry on 01/15/2004. ( chevy5864@aol.com ) 205.188.209.102

I was wondering if an taxidermist's in the New Stanton Pa. Area would be able to teach me in their shop. I will Vol. myself to help out in the shop for experiance in taxidermy. I am 45 years old and have some experiance.
Thanks
Garry

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Think about CASH $$$$$ up front and pay for it!

This response submitted by Herewegoagain. on 01/16/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.71

What about offering to pay for the instruction? Ever think about that?

Think about CASH $$$$$ up front and pay for it!

This response submitted by Herewegoagain. on 01/16/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.71

What about offering to pay for the instruction? Ever think about that?

Yes I will pay

This response submitted by Garry on 01/16/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.71

If they want to charge I will pay

I use to like this site

This response submitted by Garry on 01/16/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.71

Last year I use to spend a lot of time on here but everytime you ask a ? you get slamed like you are a big dummy. I know their are a lot of guys out there willing to help but there are just a couple that mess it up for everybody.
George Roofe was very good at helping me and a couple that I can't think of your names (sorry about that) I am sorry I am mentally challenged(not really) but I can read and reread but can't get anything out of it but if I can see it done in front of me where I can ask ? then I can learn it and learn it quickly.

PTA

This response submitted by Paul Czarnecki on 01/16/2004. ( ) 65.120.100.32

Hi GArry,
Your first step is to join the PTA and attend the upcoming Convention in Altoona. Loads of seminars (we just had to add another day) and the nation's best taxidermists on hand to answer your questions.
Visit www.pataxidermy.com for all the info. I sent you an email regarding the individual training.
See you at the convention!

taxidermy big field

This response submitted by las on 01/16/2004. ( ) 64.201.200.238

Taxidermy Is a big big field you might want to specialize In one thing
get good at It then try something else..for example start with deer heads because you probably can pull a buck In faster that way then anything else..yes your right thou there Is nothing like seeing It done first hand

I have to agree with herewegoagain...

This response submitted by marty on 01/16/2004. ( ) 67.173.51.16

A lot would depend on your experience level and ability. Sounds like you're pretty green. And a good taxidermist will need to be compensated for his/her time.

The only tasks that I would let somebody do would be to clean-up shop and a few other menial labor-type things. You won't get any value out of that. And I ain't letting you touch my customer's stuff.

So your best bet is to find a taxidermist that does the best work in your area and start talking to him/her. See if you like him/her. A good teacher would also be high on my list of choosing an instructor. They could be the best taxidermist in the world, but if they can't teach very well you aren't going to learn as much.

Be prepared to pay a significant chunk of change. You will be sucking up a fair amount of this persons time and he/she need to be compensated fairly. And make sure you discuss EVERYTHING you will be learning and what's included UP FRONT. Getting it in writing would be nice too. Also, will this person supply specimens? What about (you) opening shop in his/her area? You may need to sign an agreement that you won't.

1 on 1 (imho) is the best way to go vs. schools. Assuming of course that you find a person with all the qualities I've mentioned above. Many will work around your schedule too. And it's tough to beat 1 on 1...

to many taxidermist

This response submitted by las on 01/16/2004. ( ) 64.201.200.238

Just like to many service stations selling gas..soon nobody makes any money.I can see that the potential for a lot of taxidermist In future
nobody will make any money..same with cafe..we got to many cafe In our town to many hurting not enough business

Oh, please!

This response submitted by Rob Patton on 01/22/2004. ( Wildlife_art@hotmail.com ) 65.56.3.64

I am so sick of hearing about too many taxidermists! I have well over 50 taxidermists within 20 minutes of me and guess what? I am making a very good living and it is not because I'm good either it is because I can run my business and know where my money is going. I control the money not the money controlling me.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu