Duck feathers falling out!

Submitted by Joe on 01/19/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.102

Sorry- I tried to post in the "bird" category but it wouldn't let me. Anyway, I was mounting a mallard drake, and this is what happened: when I skinned and fleshed it I noticed what appeared to be freezer burn or something in places (my friend thought he had it in the freezer for a couple years), then after tumbling--a bunch of feather came out...still coverable though. But when I went to pull the skin over the head- feathers on the head were falling out everywhere (and I was not pulling hard enough to make them fall out). My question is...was this caused from being in the freezer to long? Or what? Anyway to fix this if it happens in the future?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Not enough information

This response submitted by roadkill on 01/19/2004. ( gossard@gtelco.net ) 209.197.25.1

What did you wash the skin in? Was there shot holes around the area that lost the feathers? How long inbetween skinning, fleshing, washing, tumbling, ect? How long was the bird in warm conditions, like when it was harvested, and thawed? so many things to cause this problem.

More info

This response submitted by Joe on 01/19/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.166

I washed the skin in cold water with dawn. Maybe one shot hole, but it was falling out in places other than around hole.Not much time in between start to finish on bird, and temp of room was cool. Not sure about when it was harvested?

SOunds like the skin is spoiled to me.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 01/19/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

If you are loosing that many feathers, sounds like a spoiled skin. Freezer burn is not to blame.

The bird does not freeze very fast, remember the feathers and down are insulators! They hold in heat! Keep cold out.

Then there is the thawing period, did the head lay in a pool of body fluids?

Spoiled

This response submitted by TW on 01/19/2004. ( ) 216.100.39.213

Right on John! The bird set out too long before it was frozen....

Spoiled

This response submitted by TW on 01/19/2004. ( ) 216.100.39.213

Right on John! The bird set out too long before it was frozen....

OR

This response submitted by Wally on 01/20/2004. ( wpttaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 216.70.5.44

Is it a pin featherd bird that you flesh so hard you damaged the quill tips? Was the carcass green? Temp is more of a factor than time when working on the skin.....

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu