Any opinion of Joe Meder's instructional courses?

Submitted by Ed on 01/19/2004. ( ) 64.112.196.62

I was wondering if anyone has taken or has opinions of Joe Meder's instructional classes that he offers? Does anyone have any first hand information? Thanks.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Its worth your money, you will learn how to read

This response submitted by JOhn C on 01/19/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Your reference materials, you wil get to spend time in his deer pens. Yes I would say its worth the money.

On the other hand, if logistics allow I would spend the time at Yox's and depending on weather too.

Spring is a good time, as the fawn crop is dropping, you can see the samethings in fawn as you can adult deer, just a lot smaller.

I would not wait until fall, ticks, chiggers etc.

If only...

This response submitted by Rob on 01/20/2004. ( ) 216.96.110.86

Lodging were included in the price. Last I checked, it was $1500.00 for 1 week, travel, lodging and meals extra!

Schooling

This response submitted by Dan on 01/20/2004. ( danstax@bellsouth.net ) 209.247.222.49

I was trying to decide between Meder and Bill Yox and finally made the decision to go too Yox mainly because it was a one on one class.You can learn every aspect from tanning to altering to mounting and also spend alot of time in the deer pens.He has some beautiful deer that are fully tame and if you go, Take Your Camera!It will be money well spent if your serious about taxidermy.Bill will explain everything all you have to do is ask!

Re: Lodging

This response submitted by marty on 01/20/2004. ( ) 67.173.51.16

Assuming Joe is still in Solon Iowa, there is PLENTY of reasonably priced lodging in the Iowa City area...

loved it

This response submitted by *** on 01/20/2004. ( ) 65.114.92.163

i just went last summer and enjoyed every second. and if i recall, it was $1200 for the workshop. i think my grand total was right at $2000 for my gas (6 1/2 hr drive) food, lodging and everything. we worked from 8am to about 5pm and then had free roam of the deer pen for as long as we wished. a good camera is a requirement for the course as you will spend several hours taking photos of the deer.

the classes are 2 on 1 and i had no problem with that. in the evenings the other student and i would take our film to get developed and drive around the country looking for deer. holy crap do they have deer. in about 1 1/2 hours we would see 150 to 200 deer. many many nice bucks.

i would reccomend it for anyone. but i think you would get more out of it if you already have a background in taxidermy established. i had been doing birds for 8 years and was just getting into whitetails with a good knowledge already in place. but the other student was just out of highschool and knew zero about taxidermy. not even how to cape a deer. he took home a nice mount, but i cant imagine that he absorbed as much info as i did. i would think it was probably overwhelming for him.

but good luck, joes is worth it.

thank you for the responses

This response submitted by ED on 01/20/2004. ( ) 64.112.198.243

The $1500 doesn't bother me so much, it's the lack of housing with the deal. I'd have approximately 7 1/2 hrs in travel time and additional expenses. But I hear that Mr. Meder is one of the better game head taxidermists and his courses are better yet. I want to learn from the best.

Since 1996 I have been doing some taxidermy work. I'm wanting to advance my skill to another level. This would be a most valuable experience. There's just some more that I need to put into this before taking the leap.

I would appreciate anyone elses input. Thank you for your responses.

ED

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/20/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.13

Im pretty sure if you give Joe a call, he would be happy to reccommend a motel or other arrangments nearby...Personally, I only know of ONE person who offers room and board with her instructions.

You've got small hotels all over the place in that area

This response submitted by marty on 01/21/2004. ( ) 67.173.51.16

Stay away from Iowa City. Do a search in Yahoo Yellow pages for hotels/motels. I know there's a small hotel right off of I-80 in West Branch, which is ~10 minutes from Solon that is pretty cheap.

Another suggestion, make sure there's no major sporting events coinciding with when you choose to take your course. Hotel rooms become really scare, really quickly. (Iowa Hawkeye fans are some of the nuttiest, most dedicated fans out there!)

Or, if it's warm enough, you could look into some of the nearby stateparks and their campgrounds if your budget is really tight...

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu