Guess who said this? Food for Thought

Submitted by Dale on 01/16/2004. ( ) 63.115.128.218

There has never been a just one, never an honorable one--on the part of the instigator of the war. I can see a million years ahead, and this rule will never change in so many as half a dozen instances.

The loud little handful--as usual--will shout for the war. The pulpit will-- warily and cautiously--object--at first; the great, big, dull bulk of the nation will rub its sleepy eyes and try to make out why there should be a war, and will say, earnestly and indignantly, "It is unjust and dishonorable, and there is no necessity for it."

Then the handful will shout louder. A few fair men on the other side will argue and reason against the war with speech and pen, and at first will have a hearing and be applauded; but it will not last long; those others will outshout them, and presently the anti-war audiences will thin out and lose popularity. Before long you will see this curious thing: the speakers stoned from the
platform, and free speech strangled by hordes of furious men who in their secret hearts are still at one with those stoned speakers--as earlier-- but do not dare to say so.

And now the whole nation--pulpit and all-- will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man
who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open. Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception."

Mark Twain

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I bet

This response submitted by gordon on 01/16/2004. ( ) 142.177.7.93

someone will say MT was a liberal. And dismiss him...his polemic. LOL

Nah, they' ll just call him an idiot or unpatriotic like

This response submitted by Dale on 01/16/2004. ( ) 63.115.128.188

everyone else that doesn't agree with them. Then rant and rave their propoganda. It's so predictable it's laughable. Either John C. will start in or George. Then the rest. :)

Mark Twain

This response submitted by john on 01/17/2004. ( ) 66.190.41.56

was a author, someone who entertained with his writings. If we beleived everything he said or wrote we actually would be living in a liberal fairytale.

i thought...

This response submitted by Grizzly on 01/17/2004. ( ) 199.120.70.102

Cecil, i thought you never were going to post on here again. It is alright if you do, personally i kinda enjoy your company, even though i hate most of what you say about politics. You don't have to post as dale, cecil is fine. But 63.115.128 is definitely cecil.

What took you so long to figure it out?

This response submitted by Cecil Dale Baird on 01/17/2004. ( ) 63.115.128.248

Posted by Grizzly: "Cecil, I thought you never were going to post on here again."

I lied. "I didn't have sex with that women!" LMAO

cecil...

This response submitted by Grizzly on 01/17/2004. ( ) 199.120.70.102

Cecil, you must be a colorful charater in real life. You seem to have a good sense of humor and you seem to be logical, i just don't know where you picked up these....these... crazy whacko liberal thoughts. Hate to see a good guy with a good attitude throw his life away entertaining left winged whacko ideas. Come to our side and feel what it's like to be right, and to be right.

Sorry Griz

This response submitted by Cecil Baird ( ) 63.115.128.181 on 01/17/2004. ( ) 63.115.128.248

I've got to be true to myself. I'd be living a lie. Wait till you find out what Bush has really been up to once the demos get organized and nominate a candidate during the election season. The media's been too easy on him and been kept in the dark. You may change your mind about him.

As far as the video, I had spoiled richeys in the ANG with me. Maybe that's why I don't respect Bush. I know his type well.

Some day someone will say, How did Bush fool us? I will reply, Speak for yourself. He didn't fool me.

Cecil, it's because we ASSUMED you were an honorable man

This response submitted by George on 01/17/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.16

But sadly, you're just another liberal and lying has now responsibities to you I suppose. As John stated, Mark Twain was an author who went by someone elses name (sound familiar) and he was hardly a sage of any period. You're confusing him Will Rogers or with some notable philosopher. Hitler wrote some pretty heady stuff in his time and Khruschev bragged about being able to quote verbatim from the bible. You make a good example of the axiom, "most people are good at only one thing." I'm glad yours is fish but I think it was Rogers who said, "Politicians and fish are a lot alike. After three days they begin to stink and should be thrown out." Go Al Sharpton.

HaHaHaHaHa.....

This response submitted by Ken R. Walker on 01/17/2004. ( () ) 161.184.196.144

Go George Roof!LMAO

George I think you need a "Go George Roof" from me too

This response submitted by Cecil Baird ( ) 63.115.128.181 on 01/17/2004. ( ) 63.115.128.172

You actually said something intelligent vs. just insults. You actually heeded the rules here for a change too. BTW, where you got I believed Mark Twain was a sage is beyond me. I simply said it was food for thought. Nothing more nothing less.

Mr. Walker can you speak for yourself? A ha ha ha at my expense is hardly something to brag about. Why are there so many followers on here that don't speak their mind, and without the name calling?

Cecil, if name calling insults you...

This response submitted by George on 01/18/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.16

start talking taxidermy for a change. This IS the taxidermy net, remember. I think your masochistic. I'll make a deal even you can understand. You stop talking politics, I'll stop calling you an idiot. And since you've shown a sudden interest in the rules, before you get to #4, read Rule #1. It concerns professionalism and RESPECT for others. If you respected any of us, you wouldn't ridicule our beliefs at the expense of your own sick humor. You're nothing more than a playground bully who, when he finally gets his assed kicked every time he turns around, goes running to the teacher crying about how he's getting beat up. Grow up Cecil.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu