Elmers wood glue ingredients

Submitted by Ron on 01/22/2004. ( ) 66.153.35.39

Does anyone know what elmers wood glue is made of? I searched the archives but didn't see this anywhere.
Thanks Ron

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Elmers

This response submitted by Old MAn on 01/22/2004. ( ) 63.241.157.113

http://www.elmers.com/faq/index.asp

God Bless

It's made

This response submitted by *** on 01/22/2004. ( ) 66.250.5.14

from horses...LOL

Mostly from bovine remains.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 01/22/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

There are only around 60,000 horses slaughtered per year in the USA, the only potion of these horses that can be used are the lower legs and skeletal remains. Most of the meat products are solid to meat markets in Europe. Not a lot of materials.

Most of the remains from cattle and hog slaughter are sent through a rendering plant and this is one of the main ingredients.

How is glue made?
Elmer's Glues are chemical based. They are made or formulated from chemicals which are synthesized (created by Man). These chemicals were originally obtained or manufactured from petroleum, natural gas and other raw materials found in Nature. The exact formula and specific ingredients used in making Elmer's products are considered proprietary information, therefore, we cannot share those with you.

How can I get information about the chemicals used in making glue or material safety data sheets(MSDS)?
If you have a technical question about the materials included in one of our products, click here to go to the product index.

How can I remove glue?
Elmer's makes a variety of products and clean-up can vary depending upon the formula. School Glue or Glue-All products - soap and water are usually all you need to clean up these products. If it's on clothing, just launder as recommended by the manufacturer.
Rubber Cement on Carpet - Try to "ball up" the mass of dried Rubber Cement between your fingers. Any remaining residue should be cleaned with a dampened cloth and Rubber Cement Cleaner/Solution. This product can be purchased at Office/Stationery or Hobby/Craft stores. Repeat applications might be necessary for more absorbent or lighter carpeting. Be sure to test the solution on an inconspicuous spot of carpeting before using to be sure there will be no negative effects on carpet fibers or dye.

Where can I buy it?
Elmer's products are carried by a variety of major mass retailers. In addition, they can be found in many hardware, grocery, drug and school and office retail locations. To find the closest location to buy a specific product, contact Elmer's Consumer Response at comments@elmers.com.

Do you use animals when making glue?
No, Elmer's does not use animals or animal parts to make glue. Our products are made from synthetic materials and are not derived from processing horses, cows or any other animals.

Why is glue sticky?
Although there are many ingredients used to make glue, most formulas contain something called polymers. A polymer is a large molecule that often is described as being a long molecular strand, much like spaghetti. Some polymers are naturally "sticky" depending on how they are made. Others require certain ingredients called tackifiers to make them sticky. One of our many challenges here at Elmer's is to be sure we have exactly the right balance of polymers and tackifiers to create a glue that is sticky and strong.

The cap on my glue bottle is clogged, what should I do?
If you do have a clogged tip, remove it from the bottle and soak it in a solution of warm water and soap until it opens up. Do not try to clean the tip with a sharp object as you might damage it permanently.

Always be sure to twist the glue cap closed after using. Wipe off any excess glue so that it will not clog.

Why doesn't glue stick to inside of the bottle?
As long as the glue remains inside the bottle away from air it will remain fluid. Glue hardens when there is a loss of water from the formula. Exposure to the atmosphere will cause the water to evaporate and make the glue harden. That's why it is important to keep the cap on the glue bottle closed to prevent hardening or drying out.

I have a milk allergy, are your products safe for me to use?
Our products are derived from synthetic materials, not any type of animal or milk protein. Of course, if you experience any kind of allergic reaction, be sure to check with your doctor regardless of the type of product you are using.

How do I send a donation request to Elmer's?
All donation requests must be made in writing and sent to the following address:

Elmer's Products, Inc.
Attn: Donation Requests
180 East Broad Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
How long can I keep glue?
If stored properly and capped tightly, Elmer's school glues and wood glues have an average shelf life of 2 years; Krazy Glue, also known as a cyanoacrylate, has a shelf life of approximately 12 - 18 months.

How do I use Elmer's to create the painted crackle effect or antique look on furniture or crafts?
Just follow this recipe:
1. Paint the object or furniture with an acrylic craft paint. Let dry.
2. Cover the paint with a coat of Elmer's mucilage glue.
3. While still wet, paint on another coat of a different color of acrylic paint. The painted item will begin to crackle as it dries.
4. When dry, cover with another coat of the mucilage as a sealer.

PVA

This response submitted by Steve Steinbring/Epo-Grip on 01/22/2004. ( nsc@netrus.net ) 206.251.198.7

Elmer's Carpenter Glue is PVA based or polyvinylacetate plus other ingrediants. PVA is also the base of many of your waterbase house paints, watersoluble until dried, then its heck to remove.

aljdfl;hkdfkefauef;hgladglheliqeafiuhsgwag

This response submitted by sdfklsfkajdfwafeu on 02/06/2004. ( laflwqfeawefa;@HOTMAIL.COM ) 165.234.111.38

WHY DO YOU PUT POOR HORSES IN GLUE. WHY CANT YOU PUT SOMETHING ELSE IN INSTEAD. YOU DIRTY DISCUSTIN HORSE KILLERS! HAHAH

whats in elmers liquid white glue?

This response submitted by tom pollet on 02/09/2004. ( flipitgood@optonline.net ) 24.186.58.242

Hello, my question is, whats exactly in elmers liquid white glue? I am doing a school project, and i need the information. please answer me and write me back at my adress . Tom .

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu