collecting sheds

Submitted by *** on 01/20/2004. ( ) 65.114.92.177

does anyone here use some sort of trap to collect shed antlers? i would love to see some of your plans for models you have had success with.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Go to this site

This response submitted by Steve on 01/21/2004. ( ) 69.37.96.6

http://www.shedantlers.org/ This site might be helpful. I find the best way to find sheds is find thier wintering areas get out and get your head down and put on some miles. also bring a good pair of Binos with you. good luck

I've read about traps

This response submitted by Marshell Ray on 01/21/2004. ( marshell.ray@sbcglobal.net ) 65.71.150.141

This trap works best under a feeder. Using a hog wirer fence, stake it so that it makes a "W" shape if view from above. With each of the sections about 2 foot long and about 2 foot wide between post. The feed falls over the wirer and the deer have to work to get it. Bucks may get their antlers stuck and will pull them off trying to get free.

Another method is to place a wirer about 38 inches above a deer trail stretching it and making it tight. When the antlers hit the wirer, the wirer will not give much and can cause the antlers to be knocked off.

I read an article in Breakthrough...a guy used a potatoe gun to knock the rack off the buck head, sounds like fun.

Hope this helps.

Marshell

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu