What would you do?

Submitted by wetnwild on 01/17/2004. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Bought a trio of snakes from a guy for good money. Wrote check for 200.00 and sent it on its way. Guy recieved check. He was told to send it next day air Airborne express. They did not pick up at his place thursday, so he sent it friday with no extra for saturday delivery, so now they will not arrive here till Monday evening. I can guarantee they will be rotten to the core and stink. These were replacement snakes. I have called the bank and stopped payment on the check. There is no way I am going to let him cash the check, and then try and get my money back for frozen stinky crap. Was I right to do so this early? Safer than sorry! I figure it is his responsibility to get his monay back from insurance!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Saturday delivery

This response submitted by jon on 01/17/2004. ( jonathan@harlequintaxidermy.com ) 68.113.208.64

IF he sent it friday with a Saturday Delivery, why wouldn't you get it today? That's still only one day, overnight shipment.... I see no reason why they should be bad.

I'm not too clear, if you're saying he did or did not send it Saturday Delivery.....

With the weather as cool as it has been, you might be safe...I just recieved a bunch of frozen ducks 2nd day delivery, and they were still frozen solid.

Good Luck,
Jon

shipment

This response submitted by wetnwild on 01/17/2004. ( ) 24.128.109.191

They did not mark it for saturday delivery which costs 5.00 more, so it will not get here till monday or tuesday according to airborne. they said it was not marked next day air1

I probably would....

This response submitted by Hoop on 01/17/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.14

have done the same. If they arrive in good condition on Monday, I would E-mail him, or call him and let him know what you did and that the check is in the mail. I'm sure that you are not going to stiff the guy. Nothing wrong with cya. Again, it has been cold, maybe they will be ok.

I would...

This response submitted by Raven on 01/17/2004. ( ) 24.150.166.254

I would have done as you did and stopped payment on it, just to be safe. If they arrive in OK condition it's very easy to send him another check afterall. If they are rotten as a result of his shipping practices then you are coverred. He may not like how you handled it - but it is fair. The only other thing I might do is notify him so he doesnt try to cash it. I know I'd be upset if I went to the bank and tried cashing a voided check when I was anticipating a smooth transaction... Tell him once you know the sankes are prime, you'll send another check.

Like Jon said - you may get lucky and they will still be solid - it depends on how well he packaged them. The people who send me my emerald boa last year packaged it exactly how I asked and it arrived three days later rock solid. This was in weather a LOT warmer than what it is now.

Bottom line - it's easier for you to issue another check then it is to try to get money back for poor goods. Let him know what you did and why and *I* think it's all good... Legally it may be a different matter entirely...

W+W

This response submitted by tgf on 01/17/2004. ( ) 65.229.154.39

Tom
Monday is a HOLIDAY, MLK day, no delivery till tuesday. Do I have to move up there and smarten up you Cow Hampshire people.

I agree with Raven...

This response submitted by marty on 01/17/2004. ( ) 67.173.51.16

And, I'm not sure I'd do business with this person in the future anyways - not the sharpest tool in the shed...

Notified him

This response submitted by wetnwild on 01/17/2004. ( ) 24.128.109.191

I notified him just to be on the safe side, and be fair. It was mailed out by a friend of his. I guess i would not want to be that guy. they werent his snakes

Mondays, mondays

This response submitted by Travis on 01/17/2004. ( ) 68.102.253.173

I know Monday is a holiday---BUT---I refuse to ship any perishable item on any day except mondays,possibly tuesdays...just my opinion

<><> SMART MAN <><>

This response submitted by EARL on 01/17/2004. ( ANT / TAX ) 68.82.185.179

Travis ,you took the words right out of my mouth..Mon or Tues only no matter what..I almost called some things in Fri, but Mon. being a ?holiday? I'm wating till next week..Earl

TGF

This response submitted by JL on 01/17/2004. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.157

Stay the heck out of NH...don't come up here for any reason except to spend money. By the way...the smelt are hitting like crazy and the ice is over a foot thick....and thats salt water..lol.

ups wont be taking monday off

This response submitted by Dan on 01/18/2004. ( ) 4.10.189.63

You know what neither am I.

Why do people refuse to do as them are ask?

This response submitted by John C on 01/18/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Over the years I have bought a few things frozen and done some wholesale work.

Each time I have given specific instructions and they seldom listen.

Had a former taxidermist in NY, ship in a bunch of trout, normal shipped UPS, in August needless to say they were pretty much mush in the August heat! Plus poorly packed too.

Even had one bring a cooler full of trout to the shop once, they had come from Colorado, no ice, no dry ice, eighteen hour trip in the trunk of their car.

I was gone when they dropped the cooler off and headed for Texas. I am sure they could hear me two hours later when I opened the cooler.

The best ones are the huge stripers that the pull around behind the boat for hours in the bright sunlight, BBqed! Sunburned! and ripe.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu