Will taxidermy be obsolete?

Submitted by rich stanton on 01/26/2004. ( ) 170.215.201.92

I was perusing the archives when a few thoughts came together.

(1) many mounts are already composed of primarily synthetic materials and some have suggested that someday almost all mounts might be entirely synthetic. (post on the future of taxidermy)

(2)Taxidermy can be construed as a form of manufacturing (posts on the "why don't pros get a discount on supplies?")

(3) as we all know, practically everything manufactured for a mass market these days bear the words "mad in china" on them.

Now, i don't mean to denigrate taxidermy as an art... but without the import/export restrictions relating to animal products, it seems to me all but inevitable that much of taxidermy as we know it is ripe for mass production... does anyone know if fish blanks are being imported yet?
Granted, there are many other impediments to my doomsday scenario, but i think it bears considering. Also, it seems to me that freeze-drying may eclipse traditional small-animal taxidermy before long.
Any comments on the suject will be welcome-- i mean this only as a thought experiment.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

IF this <><>EARL<><>[Expletive Deleted] KEEPS UP

This response submitted by JAY on 01/26/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.14

IT WILL BE [Expletive Deleted] <><> EARL <><> YOU [Expletive Deleted]! !

Well....

This response submitted by Hoop on 01/26/2004. ( ) 24.166.99.164

there's your response Rich. LOL

Rich---Where ?

This response submitted by RC on 01/26/2004. ( ) 65.227.248.187

Where did you get the thought that there are NO import/export restrictions on animal products ?
As far as obsolete , I think yes in a isolated geographic manner, same as legal gun ownership and probably in the same geographic areas.
I had someone who was looking for a taxidermist say to me this past season that it was a lot easier to find a crack dealer than a taxidermist.

RC-- i think you mis-read

This response submitted by rich stanton on 01/27/2004. ( ) 170.215.201.91

If there are no animal products in a mount, ie. they are composed entirely on synthetic materials, then those myriad restrictions would be moot...
When that happens, the chinamen will probably be able to deliver repro. 150 class deer heads to the docks in SF and NYC for about 25 bucks apiece-- then McKenzie could sell them for $125 and _Voila_ no more taxidermy as we know it... using the right materials, fish should be along any day now! Remember those Billy BOB Bass things? They may not compete with even a half-assed commercial skin mount, but given time and adequate demand, it could be done quite readily.

Rich

This response submitted by RC on 01/27/2004. ( ) 65.227.248.214

Rich
Sorry , I must have mis read as as you state, my appologies.
I must have been thinking isolated geographic "extinction".

Rich, hae you been a taxidermist long?

This response submitted by George on 01/27/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.168

Doesn't sound like it. Just what part of TAXIDERMY don't you understand. It's just skin we're moving, always has been, always will be. Reproductions are only valuable in limited species. You can't BUY Bald Eagles or Panda bears and the passenger pigeon and dodo's are extinct. As long as there are animals, there'll always be the need for taxidermist. Whether you accept it or not, we're like your garbage man. SOMEBODY has to do it and since the wages aren't anywhere close to those of a CEO, we'll be here. (Ever wonder how many razorback hogs they have mounted in Arkansas? LOL)

If that were going to happen

This response submitted by Seabass on 01/27/2004. ( bassluongo@comcast.net ) 24.91.108.111

...I think everyone would own a reproduction fish by now. quit a lot of the fun is about having THE ACTUAL animal that you shot/caught/trapped, etc. That's why mounts that someone else shot is cheap (esp things like deer heads), becuase nobody wants to own someone else's trophy. Think about it...would you order up a 16 point whitetail just for fun? how bout a 60 lb beaver? Its all about owning a piece of acual NATURE (this is why real roses will get you out of the doghouse better than silk ones)
SeaBAss

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu