PLEASE take precautions

Submitted by Ninette Smith on 01/27/2004. ( ninette@coldwellbanker.com ) 209.205.184.248

I know most of you don't know me. I am Norman Smith's wife. As you probably read on the forum Norman passed away on December 20, 2003 after a 6 year battle with cancer. We all know that the doctors can't tell us exactly what causes cancer, but Norman's doctors did have some suggestions. Of course, his smoking did not help, but taxidermists deal with alot of cancer causing agents such as paints, bonbo, borax, etc. Please take necessary precautions to help protect yourselves. Wear surgical gloves if possible when using materials containing carcinigens. Make sure your studio shop is well ventilated especially in paint rooms. I know it sounds ridiculous to have to do all this just to do your job, but is it worth the risk not too? When I met Norman 21 years ago I didn't know what the word taxidermy meant. Through Norman I have learned to love this industry and the people in it. I have made some wonderful friends and I don't want to lose any of you. All I ask is that you protect yourselves and live each day to its fullest. Norman and I have two young children and I wouldn't want any other children to lose a parent the way mine lost theirs.

While I have the opportunity, I would like once again to thank everyone for their cards, kind words and prayers. They have meant so much to me. I hope to see all of you at the world show in 2005!

God Bless,

Ninette

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Thank you!

This response submitted by Old Man on 01/27/2004. ( ) 63.241.157.113

It is rare to find a person that cares about the well being of others in light of your cercumstances. I appreciate your advice and have looked into installing ventalation equipment in my shop. Thank you once again and I hope all the best for you and your family. Take comfort in the fact that you will see him again someday.

God Bless

I'm listening

This response submitted by Superpig on 01/27/2004. ( ) 198.81.26.46

to your advice. Usually don't wear gloves when it comes to working with bondo but I think I will start wearing them from now on. Thank you for your kind words.

Ninette

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/27/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.12

Thank you for caring enough to post a follow-up note like this. You are a terrific person. Thanks again, from the Yox family.

Very kind.

This response submitted by SeaBass on 01/27/2004. ( bassluongo@comcast.net ) 24.91.108.111

I know I may be restating the obvious. This is a very thoughtful thing of you to do. Never realized borax was harmful! I will be more careful, I hope to be involved with this for many years. Thanks
SeaBass

Thanks for careing

This response submitted by b bishop on 01/27/2004. ( ) 65.73.67.198

Some people on this forum think we have no empathy at all here for others but I took offence to that because I feel nothing could be further from the truth. I am very sorry to hear about your loss and will take your reminder as seriously as it was intended. Thanks again for the caring thoughts and as for the person that stated the empathy remark - I just considered the source and forgot about it - I know better .

Thank you for the reminders

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 01/28/2004. ( ) 66.82.9.20

And may time help to heal the wound. We wish you and your children all the best.

God Bless you and yours.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu