Attention to those going to TTA convention in June!

Submitted by Michael Butler on 01/28/2004. ( mbutler33@yahoo.com ) 208.180.148.63

I, along with several other Texas taxidermists, have decided to start something new this year. We are going to start an annual challenge species. I have seen this at other state's competitions... This is how it breaks down.....The species is an Aoudad for this year. It has to be a pedestal, and it has to be in the Professional division. To enter our "challenge", show up with your Aoudad pedestal, enter it in the professional division, and then put in your "challenge" entry fee... The fee is $200, and the taxidermist to score the highest takes all of the pot. Good Luck, and I hope this is the beginning of tradition for the Texas Taxidermy Competition. Oh yea, the winner gets to pick the species and mount for the next year........Please email me if you plan on entering....If any of the T.T.A. people have a problem with this, I apologize. I would like to see the T.T.A. accept this challenge, and handle the entry fees, and award the prize at the banquet. Maybe even provide a nice trophy......

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I have one problem with this Michael

This response submitted by Superpig on 01/28/2004. ( ) 198.81.26.46

First of all, who are these other select taxidermists? Who got to pick the specie for this year? And why wasn't it braught before the membership and voted on? Afterall it affects all members.

Second, why can't we have a specie that more people have access to? Seems like picking unusual (for TX) species seems to favor the big studios who take those animals in, and leaves out the smaller shops who don't. I for one cannot afford to purchase a cape and horns of an aoudad just so I can enter one. That leaves me out and I am pretty sure I am not the only one here.

If we do a specie challenge then why not stick with a native TX specie where everyone will have a change to enter if they wish to do so. I am all for a challenge like this, but not if the specie is unobtainable for most members.

Pick a common specie like coon, bobcat, coyote, skunk, anything Texan, and lower the entry fee to $50. This way more members can and will enter and the pot will actually be higher then if only two or three people will/can enter.

Just my 10 cents worth. I would like to hear more input from other members on this though.

TTAI CONVENTION, KERRVILLE, TA, JUNE 3/5, 2004

This response submitted by Bob Wilkins, President Texas Taxidermy Ass'n on 01/28/2004. ( wildart@hot1.net ) 67.30.18.202

Michael,

It's always nice for non-members of the TTAI to have an interest in our convention and competition.

We have a well organized staff that plans these events well in advance. Any changes and new ideas must come before the Board of Advisors and be discussed. Since this is so close to our convention in June and none of these taxidermists have discussed the idea with any Board member that I know of, I would say it was a little late. Our ad has gone into a number of magazines already.
It's not necessarily a bad idea or a new one, but our competition structure is such that we already have in place a large number of special competitions. Awards of this type have always suffered from poor participation.

I would like to invite you to join the TTAI, come to a board meeting and present your idea for the 2005 convention. Our next board meeting is @ 4:30 pm, March 6th at the Hilton - Houston Southwest.

Bob Wilkins
President TTAI

Yep

This response submitted by Brent on 01/28/2004. ( ) 67.128.168.248

I agree with you Superpig.......I couldn't afford to drop 200 Bucks, but I would gamble a 50 dollar bet in a min. I have been doing taxidermy here in Texas for 10 years, and I have never done an Aoudad. It's just not my forte' here where I am in the piney woods.

Would you rather have 1 person that owes you a hundred dollars not pay, or 100 people that owe you 1 dollar a piece? If 10 people didn't pay then you still made 90 Bucks.......Volume

Super pig

This response submitted by w&w on 01/28/2004. ( ) 24.128.109.191

She is just pissed that it is not a pig this yrear. She was taking the ol( Super PIG) out of the closet, dusting it off, and getting a few more miles out of it. You know the one right? The super pig, that gave her , her illustrious shot at startdom? JEEEZZZZZZZZ, how many times are we gonna hear about this pig! Enough is enough! LOL ROFLMAO

w&w

This response submitted by wilson on 01/28/2004. ( ) 198.81.26.46

Why is it when a woman say[I have one problem with this]
it goes on and on tell its 10 or 12 things they have the
problem with.hehe

must be why i no longer have one.

You guys

This response submitted by Superpig on 01/28/2004. ( ) 198.81.26.46

I just can't catch a break from you two, meaning Tom and Wilson. Tom you are going to hear about my Superpig until the day you die. Did I tell you it gets dusted on a daily basis? Afterall it is one famous pig. LOL.

Wilson I am sorry to hear that you are full of problems. Maybe if yer just listen for once? But then again how can you since all you do is sit on your mountain blowing into the wind on your pan flute.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu