Hides that can be Disasters

Submitted by Orion on 01/28/2004. ( orionshunting@msn.com ) 4.42.5.214

ALOHA!i just seen a post "Dall Sheep Disasters"

Heres the story-A client delivered a dall sheep cape straight from his $10,000.00 Alaska hunting trip, ears and nose were turned, lips split, seemed to be in good shape although it appeared to be (just lightly) salted hummm. I resalted 24 hrs and resalted again and sent it straight to the tannery, recieved it back in a month, wet tanned, hair is pulling out in globs (this makes for a very dissapointed client). His hunting friend used the same guide service, different taxidermist/tannery and got the same end results...three things can cause this, #1 not everything will take a tan, #2 freezing and thawing, #3 not enough salt...In my opinion the guide service needs to take greater pains with thier clients "once in a lifetime" cape/skin, I lay the blame on the guide service...I've been i bussiness for 23 ys, well established and...I guess what I'm doing in here is looking for other proffesional opinions for my client to read before he goes home to get his shotgun lol.
After i got done reading this post this came into mind. ! why dont taxidermists order Stop-Rot and resale it to their customers. that way the hunter can use it just to be safe for his trophy. and the taxidermist would make a few extra bucks. its a win win situation. if this has already been covered im sorry on not checking through the archives. HOPE THIS CAN HELP ANYONE!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

hummm

This response submitted by Walt on 01/28/2004. ( ) 63.67.241.150

I never used stop rot and am not familiar with it but I am going to educate myself

Samething here, you would think that GUIDES

This response submitted by JOhn C on 01/28/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

WOULD KNOW THIER BUSINESS!

GUIDES should be trained in how to care for thier clients trophy, its easy to get a guide license and half of those are working under someone elses license!

I would have the client call the guide to get a tanned cape or part of his money back for the hunt!

Salt is so cheap but so important, many of the guides I have know did not get through high school and then they decide they can do taxidermy in the off season.

I always show the client what will happen if they dont care for the hide and many way to many time the guide will tell the client "No thats not really needed." Hell who is the taxidermist and who is the guide!

hunters should consult taxidermist first

This response submitted by trappersteph on 01/28/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.136

Hunters should tell you when they are going and for what animals. You can tell them how the hide should be cared for in case they get a dumdum guide. Make sure to emphasize turning and splitting,fleshing and salting and allowing salt fluids to drain then resalting, and not putting such hides in plastic bags.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu