Service at Van Dykes

Submitted by not a happy customer on 01/28/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.102

Placed an internet order with Van Dykes on Monday. Called today to see if and when it was shipped much to my surprise I was told this order would not be going on until Thursday or possibly Friday.Now I know that I am NOT their only customer but it kinda looks like they would try to get things shipped out in a more timely fashion. I have never had this happen when I place orders with WASCO, McKenzies or any of the other supply companies..I guess what I am saying is unless you want to get your supplies whenever Van Dykes takes a notion to send it out you had better stick with ordering from any of the several other suppliers. Just had to get this off my chest..Oh yea, I also called Van Dykes back and told them to cancel my order that I would get it from someone else..I know they don't care one way or the other but at least IT MADE ME FEEL BETTER.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I ordered some leather

This response submitted by Antler Chaser on 01/29/2004. ( ) 65.73.67.84

from them and it was horrible ! I e-mailed them and told them that the other items were good but the leather peice was horrible and they never said boo ! What goes around comes around I guess so now they lost 2 customers !

good dealings

This response submitted by bill on 01/29/2004. ( ) 63.108.55.73

I have had nothing but good dealings with Van Dykes, from what I have seen I allow 2 weeks no matter WHO I order from, so I plan in advance to do something else in the mean time. They ship ups, so even if it didn't go out until Friday it would have been at your door Monday. I guess we all have our favorite suppliers and sorry to hear you feel like they dropped the ball on you, but I really don't think 4-5 days is unreasonable from order to ship. They do have an option to have it shipped next day (of course it'll cost you) but if you gotta have it now it may be worth it. I hope your next experience is a more pleasant one no matter who it's with.

I have never seen that

This response submitted by Tenbears on 01/29/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.13

I deal with Van Dykes all the time. When I place an Order they tell me it will go out in 5 to 7 days. But with the exception of back orders, Which they tell me what is on back order. I have always gotten my order at my shop in 7 days or less. If a form has to be made, they tell me that too. And it may take more time. Often the stuff that needs to be made arrives before the bulk of the order. Any time I have had a problem, with anything. They have made it right. Everyone I have ever dealt with at Van Dykes has always been pleasant, helpful, and a pleasure to deal with. though they said Friday, you may have jumped the gun by getting upset. Odds are you would have had it the following Monday. I think they use the CYA policy. just in case!

Glad to see it's not just my order

This response submitted by Chris on 01/29/2004. ( ) 65.248.73.67

I placed an order via the internet two weeks ago, and the order has not yet shipped. This is my first order with them. Maybe my last.

gotta jump on

This response submitted by Ed Robins on 01/29/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.134

VD seems to be stumbling more in the speedy customer service nowdays!

I will say that if they screw up an order they make good on it, but it looks like it would be in their best interest to to have a little tighter quality control. Instead of having to back step and make good on a fouled up order.

Now on to the time issue! I know what you mean! Don't ever count on making a quick order, it just aint gonna happen! It is frustrating at times. I think it might come from the ol' Cabela's mentality of mail ordering? You'll get it when you get it! Who knows? It does seem though that something could be done to speed up sending out orders a lil more promptly than three to four days after receiving them. That to me is a managment issue.

Not to make this a bashing I'll add that they are usually very courteous in their slowness! Except for one order last year that took 28 days to arrive. I got so many excuses and different stories I even had a hard time keeping it straight. I was told the order will be shipped out then NO it's being held up until eyes are made then NO it's not eyes, forms had to be made and so on and so on! After all of that and the three week wait they shipped it clear across country in the oposite direction from where I'm at taking another week to make it back across country! Yikes!

But I did finally get it! This is something they could easily overcome with proper staffing and managment.

My 2 cents

This response submitted by Jim on 01/29/2004. ( ) 204.211.171.11

I have dealt with several companies that take days before they ship an order. I have a hard time seeing why an order that is received in the morning can't be shipped that day or at the latest, the next day. I can understand if they get alot of orders in on one day, my order might have to go out the next day....but 3-7 days to ship...that's ridiculous. There are several companies that I will not buy from because of their poor customer service and slow shipping times. I think it all boils down to this...once the supply companies get your credit card info and they get paid, that's all they care about. They really don't care when you get your stuff. I know they are not all like this...but the few that are really frustrate me.

Wolf Ears

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 01/29/2004. ( ) 155.76.241.129

A few years ago, I ordered some wolf ears from Van Dykes. They sent me bear ears. When I called to ask about it, they said they don't carry wolf ears (even though they are listed in the catalog), so they always send bear ears as a substitute instead. How's does that work? They are not anywhere close to the same shape or size. That was the last time I ordered from them.

I've NEVER had a problem with...

This response submitted by marty on 01/29/2004. ( ) 67.173.51.16

Van Dykes OR Cabelas. I NEVER pay extra for quick shipping. And I almost always get my stuff within a few days.

Once, Van Dykes failed to tell me a piece was on back order. It was just a $2.00 hanger for fish. It came about a week later and it cost me an additional $2.00 to ship because it was shipped separately! I would've cancelled it if I knew that the shipping was going to cost as much as the (low priority) hanger!

I could see how it could happen. I'm sure if I would have called they would have refunded the shipping costs. But it simply wasn't worth my time...

Same issue

This response submitted by Fitz on 01/29/2004. ( ) 163.179.144.27

I am actually kinda new at this and have been ordering hunting stuff from Cabela's for years and never a problem. I have found now that you will get a faster order over the phone not the internet. I am having the same problem with WASCO I am in Texas they are in Ga. not that much distance and every order is at least 7to 10 days. I just read on a later post of a Tw or TR supply that does same day shipping. Anyone know who this is?

Fritz

This response submitted by b bishop on 01/29/2004. ( ) 65.73.67.89

T.R.Supply is an awsome supply company that is dependable. They dont carry forms but alot of tools and necessary supplies. Check them out. Mark & Debbie are wonderful folks. www.TaxidermyReference.com

When I order....

This response submitted by Kenneth on 01/29/2004. ( ) 164.58.213.120

from Van Dykes, McKenzie, Coombs, Mears,,,I get my order within 1-3 days. When I order from WASCO, it takes two weeks.

I never use the internet to place orders...

I'll take a peek at the website if I need to see a product - assuming I don't have a catalog, otherwise the catalog is faster, even with my cable connection. Plus, talking with a person can resolve questions and guarantee whether it's in stock or B/O'd. Some things are just left better the old fashioned way...

I've had the same problem

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 01/29/2004. ( ) 66.82.9.47

Van Dyke's people have always been good to deal with and I used to get my Van Dyke's orders pretty dern quickly. But, the last year or so, they are much slower. I don't know if it is because of increased sales or a changed policy or both. They also are out of stock on items more than they used to be. Almost all the earliners I ordered the other day are back-ordered.

I did have a strange experience a couple of weeks ago, concerning an order from there. I'd ordered a few items, including a standing bear form. They said the bear form would have to be made, so there would be a delay on it. No problem, I told them. Just send the rest of the stuff...don't hold it up on account of the bear form. Well, to my surprise, a couple of days later I got the bear form! I didn't get the rest of the order until the following week.

Like Bill, I order in advance enough that I have plenty to do if the order takes a little extra time.

Research Mannikins seems to have the quickest shipping to our location here in southern Missouri. Ozark Woods is quick, too!

Cabea's

This response submitted by George Wallace on 01/29/2004. ( campus189@yahoo.com ) 64.136.26.225

I have not placed an order with Van Dyke's yet.
I do know Cabela's SUCKS if you live in Massachusetts
I'm in Law Enforcement and Cabela's won't even ship out shotgun shells , bullet tips, powder, and many other gun related items...
HOWEVER, Bass pro shops will send me ANYTHING.....
WASCO has been great for me for shipping.
I guess I should try to place an order with Van Dyke's to see if they are as bad as Cabela's..
If Van Dyke's gives me one ounce of trouble , i'll never deal with them again...
With Cabela's, they get rude when they find out your in Massachusetts
and want something gun related.
I guess Massachusetts sent them a letter telling Cabela's they would be held liable for there sales in Massachusetts.

Kinda sucks, No one in Massachusetts can purchase certain gun related items from Cabela's but ANYONE can buy armor piercing bullets and anything else you can dream of on other web-sites..
George Wallace

George...

...Sounds like you're ranking on Cabelas when all they're doing is covering their butts.

I suspect in Massachusetts you need some type of gun card like we do in Illinois here? If so, then that is the reason why. I've never tried ordering shotgun shells or guns through Cabelas because I KNOW MY LAWS IN MY STATE. It is illegal for them to sell them to me without verification of a FOID card. How are they going to verify it's me over the phone?

Jeepers!

wheres grasshopper

This response submitted by * on 01/29/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.167

just when you need him he aint there

Marty

This response submitted by SeaBass on 01/29/2004. ( bassluongo@comcast.net ) 24.91.108.111

Yeah, we need ID's in Mass...they're getting pretty strict. I almost don't blame Cabelas, some gun manafacturers (like Glock) won't even sell new weapons in Mass if I understand correctly.
SeaBass

Grasshopper's at Pizza Ranch

This response submitted by Roger H on 01/29/2004. ( r_heintzman@hotmail.com ) 24.230.110.173

in Huron, SD. He manages it. He's a little to busy now to visit site much.

As for VD's. I only live 2 hours away from them and it still takes forever to get a order. Ordered last Friday and didn't get order until today, (Thursday). Never ever have this kind of problem with McKenzie and my order has to come from another state. Don't figure, but then again?

Roger

Same prob. with Van Dykes, but not Cabelas..wierd

This response submitted by Christina Jones on 01/31/2004. ( iluvnails@aol.com ) 64.12.96.134

I placed an order via the internet a few weeks ago....

After 6 days, I called to check on the status....

They said, "We just received your order from the internet YESTERDAY, and it takes about 4 days to ship from the time we receive it." (Then 5 more days to get here via UPS)

I did finally get the order, I have made my last taxidermy internet purchase however. I ordered from TR Supply this past week (via telephone)...what a nice person Linda is to deal with...breath of fresh air! She actually knows about the products she carries! What a concept!

Christina, former internet shopper :)

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu