Charging Extra?

Submitted by David C on 01/29/2004. ( ) 66.156.188.151

I received a fox from a customer that was shot with a deer rifle. Needles to say, it has a hole in the side you could place your fist through, and the leg is hanging on with just two pieces of skin about 3/16" wide. I was just wondering if you all charge extra for a repair like that or just consider it part of the normal work.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I'd wouldn't even mount it

This response submitted by Cecil Baird ( ) 63.115.128.181 on 01/29/2004. ( ) 63.115.128.247

I personally think you are wasting your time on this one.

Here's what I'd do

This response submitted by Jim on 01/29/2004. ( ) 204.211.171.11

Without seeing the fox, it would be hard to say IF it could be repaired well. I have a stipulation in my contract that says we can make reasonable substitutions, change poses, etc... Assuming it is repairable, I would call the customer and tell them that you will charge for the repair (I charge $35 per hour plus materials)...or offer to get them another fox (at their expense) from someone on these forums or a local trapper. You could also offer them a pedestal mount...depending where the damaged area is.

Repaired

This response submitted by David C on 01/29/2004. ( ) 66.156.188.151

We have already repaired the hide. My wife did the sewing on it and she did an OUTSTANDING job. You cannot see the repair from the hair side. I do have to say I have a "ringer" having my wife, she use to be a doctor, so she can sew good. I was just curious if others charged extra for big repairs

yes

This response submitted by JEM on 01/29/2004. ( ) 64.179.71.115

If the damage was bad enough that you are questioning charging, you probably answered your own question. However, if you didn't mention this to the customer up front, I'm not sure now would be the time to do so.

For once, I'm with Cecil

This response submitted by George on 01/29/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.9

YOU'RE A TAXIDERMIST! If you CAN repair it, it's part of your job. If you'd rather not or have doubts about the appearance afterwards, refuse it. You shouldn't need to go looking for work or reasons to charge extra for what you're qualified to do.

I only charge extra

This response submitted by Tenbears on 01/29/2004. ( ) 205.188.209.10

For stupidity. Cut throats. cut briskets, hair drug off, A hi powered shot to the head to finish the animals off, Etc. I never charge for Natural damage, or bullet holes. Since it is within the realm of reasoning that a deer hunter using a rifle would tale a bobcat, fox, Or coyote thinking they would make a nice mount. If I elected to do the job. I would not charge extra for it. Now If after examining the specimen, And telling the customer That I really preferred not to do it because the damage may result in a less that perfect mount. He requests that I give it a try, or asks to do what I can. and states he realizes their may be some flaw. I advise him their may be extra cost involved. then and only then will I mount. Knowing that I will be compensated for the long pains taking time I may need to invest to produce a mount worthy of putting my name on. I do so. Now. I will not turn out a mount that will damage my reputation. and if it becomes apparent that this will be the case. I replace the cape. and charge the customer. After all he asked that I do what I can. A fox, coyote, or Bobcat. Is a fox, coyote, or bobcat. and a replacement is a fair representation of the trophy they took.

George. I'm going to frame this and hang it on the wall!

This response submitted by Cecil Baird ( ) 63.115.128.181 on 01/29/2004. ( ) 63.115.128.247

What's next? Hell's going to freeze over?

For once, I'm with Cecil
This response submitted by George on 01/29/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.9
YOU'RE A TAXIDERMIST! If you CAN repair it, it's part of your job. If you'd rather not or have doubts about the appearance afterwards, refuse it. You shouldn't need to go looking for work or reasons to charge extra for what you're qualified to do.

Extra charge

This response submitted by MarkV. on 01/29/2004. ( MarkV.33@centurytel.net ) 207.230.196.124

David absolutely I would charge extra for the repairs. Usually I will tell the customer before hand but charge accordingly. We charge 65.00 per hour for sewing. Sounds like you have done so already done the work. If I wanted a specimen mounted I wouldn't care the extra charge for sewing and why the heck would someone want something they didnt shoot. Good luck to you, Mark

Not here...

This response submitted by Bob Mead on 01/30/2004. ( meadtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 149.101.1.121

Sounds like a repair that is in the realm of normal to me, also. I didn't even know you could kill a bobcat with anything less than a .340 Wby Mag until recently receiving one with a nice small .257 hole. Seriously, though, I wouldn't charge extra for it. I charge $35 per hour for sewing, repairs, etc., but I don't consider this to be "extra". As for replacing hides, most clients won't be able to tell the differnce anyway, but I would advise them if the need to replace the hide was an issue.

Bob Mead

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu